View Full Version : Amphetamines help all-ADD/HD or not?

attention
10-04-06, 05:25 PM
The following description of the psychic effects of a modest dose of amphetamine, written by Drs. Ian P. Innes and Mark Nickerson in Goodman and Gilman's textbook (1970),

The main results of an oral dose ... are as follows: wakefulness, alertness, and a decreased sense of fatigue; elevation of mood, with increased initiative, confidence, and ability to concentrate; often elation and euphoria; increase in motor and speech activity. Performance of only simple mental tasks is improved; and, although more work may be accomplished, the number of errors is not necessarily decreased. Physical performance, for example, in athletics, is improved. These effects are not invariable, and may be reversed by overdosage or repeated usage.

Large doses of amphetamines, it will be recalled, are followed by depression. "Prolonged use or large doses are nearly always followed by mental depression and fatigue.

Althought many here do ok on a stable dose for a long time, MANY here report an initial excellent reponse, followed by failing results, where they often up the dose, or change meds. Perhaps this long term daily use by many is often counterproductive, leading them worse off than when they started?:eyebrow:

QueensU_girl
10-04-06, 07:47 PM
I think people's brain chemicals are thought to re-regulate, to accommodate the presence of a med. (Like how an alcoholic can seem sober, but they have drank an amount that would put us non-drinkers into a coma.)

This downregulation or upregulation in our bodies and brains is why some meds users choose to take a break from their meds on weekends, or days off.

EJom
10-05-06, 10:13 AM
hmmm... good point you bring up.

When first introducing Adderall into my system, the difference between how I had felt and how I feel after taking it (say for the first time, or after a long break) is extreme. In fact, I was probably a little high/euphoric the first couple of days even on 20mg XR. Within 3-4 days the euphoric feeling wore off and my body seemed to stabalize at the appropriate level.

Here's where it can be a tough. At this point I am feeling "normal" but yet it can be sort of a let down from the euphoria that was initially present. Honestly, the euphoria in the beginning is almost welcome feeling after being fatigued and frustrated for any extended period of time, especially years. So feeling it fade and having your body normalize can in some way feel a bit depressing.

I think that this is the critical point. The euphoric feeling is not really what I want or need from Adderall, but in some way it can be tough to let it go. I think that's the mistake I made the first time I was on Adderall. I felt terrible for so long, that it was almost as if I didn't want to feel just "normal" but I wanted things to BETTER than "normal" once I got a taste for it. Obviously it's not a good idea to use the the medication to search for a high.

This time my goal is to treat my ADD, and live a healthy lifestyle. So I had to make the right decision, for me, and be honest with myself - only taking as much of a dose as needed to prevent the severe ADD, Depression, Chronic Fatigue symptoms that have plagued my early Adulthood. And not to escape every bad feeling or avoid obstacles and challenges of daily life. For me, this is why it was important to also have counseling as an integral part of my treatment.

I hope someone can relate to this? BTW, I am embarassed that I didn't take treating my ADD properly the first time. I regret continuing to go out and drink while on Adderall. And for me, not being honest with myself did eventually lead to a worse situation than not being treated at all. I guess I tend to learn the valuable lessons the hard way.

attention
10-05-06, 10:59 AM
"but yet it can be sort of a let down from the euphoria that was initially present. Honestly, the euphoria in the beginning is almost welcome feeling after being fatigued and frustrated for any extended period of time, especially years"

This is very common when someone takes a stimulant for the first time, euphoria, mood elevation, as listed in my above post, and in a matter of hours, this is somewhat similar to the initial aamphetamine-like effects of starting Prozac.

"Here's where it can be a tough. At this point I am feeling "normal" but yet it can be sort of a let down from the euphoria that was initially present."

Very common in the first few days/weeks, when finding the optimum dosage. This is where some folks get into trouble,ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE A VERY LIBERAL DOC. The euphoria etc goes and they think the med isn't working, (when it may well be treating symptoms fine) so they up the dose, to get the mood elevation, desired effects again, what they are really doing is 'chasing a high' and this ends in abuse/drug centered behaviour.

"I think that this is the critical point. The euphoric feeling is not really what I want or need from Adderall, but in some way it can be tough to let it go."

ALL humans are euphoria addicts-it's how our brains are, and when many folks receive their first script for a sch 11 stimulant it's often a revelation when their brains receive it, and many play around/misuse it, until they learn they are better off dosing properly, to optimise their lifestyle.
.................................................. .................................................. ................
'Speed'-correctly refers to Methylamphetamine, which is what addicts prefer, althought (to the annoyance of medical stimulant users) it's casually thrown around for most of the ADD/HD stimulants. In reality street Crank, Ice, Meth, makes Ritalin look like Aspirin in it's far more potent effects.