View Full Version : They Recognize Anorexia and Bulimia as Illnesses Why Not Fibro?

jamf
10-09-06, 03:44 AM
THere is still skepticism by doctors whether Fibromylagia is real. How can they regonize A&B as illnesses and not Fibro. :soapbox:

QueensU_girl
09-18-07, 02:11 PM
MPS and Fibro _are_ recognized illnesses.

They come under Arthritis, actually. They are viewed to probably have an auto-immune and/or endocrine (HPA Axis) component.

Desperate1
09-19-07, 05:16 PM
MPS and Fibro _are_ recognized illnesses.

They come under Arthritis, actually. They are viewed to probably have an auto-immune and/or endocrine (HPA Axis) component.
not by a lot of doctors i've seen they're not. many doctors ignorantly view them as purely psychosomatic.

hollyduck
09-19-07, 06:01 PM
Recent research on fibromyalgia seems to show that it's not an arthritic or even a muscular disease -- but a brain disorder where signals coming from the muscles are misinterpreted as pain. Can't find the link right now.

Ducky

QueensU_girl
09-19-07, 07:28 PM
I looked it up at the Library yesterday.

In 1987, the AMA recognized Fibromyalgia as a disease.

(See the third paragraph in this link.)
http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/byname/fibromyalgia.htm

There are over 100 types of arthritis.
The Arthritis Society says that Fibromyalgia comes under the umbrella of arthritic diseases. It was also called muscular rheumatism (old term) at one point.

No, it's not arthritic. Arthros means "joint", and it doesn't affect the actual joint capsule. Fibro pain is in the muscles, tendons and ligaments. (Ligaments are full of nerve endings.)

However, as I wrote earlier, it does come under the rubric of arthritic diseases: probably b/c it is "musculo-skeletal".

I guess they needed to stick it somewhere.

There have been some studies which show folks have altered levels of chemicals in their brains and bodies, IIRC. (e.g. Neuropeptide Y or Substance P, or whatever.)

Research on fibro is so muddy and foggy, that I guess the whole argument of "where to stick Fibro" (or, where does the ICD 10 taxonomy stick Fibro), becomes an issue of picking nits outta rat poop.

The main issue was the complaint that "it's not a real disease, like Anorexia/Bulimia".

My contention was that it IS a real disease.

Here is the WHO listing of Fibromyalgia in the new 2007 ICD 10 database

http://www.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/

Look up M79.7

You will see:

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=left width="8%">M79.7 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="3%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=7>Fibromyalgia </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=left width="8%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="3%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=7>Fibromyositis
Fibrositis
Myofibrositis
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>