View Full Version : Making your own meds (amphetamine)

JustNeedHelp
10-09-06, 03:23 PM
I know you can get a script from your doctor for what ever medicine you need (lets say for this one its dextro-amphetamine) i want to know who all has gone to places like the medicine shoppe to get there medicines made for them, did you liek the experience?

and also i want to know if its possible to get my doctor to give me a perscription for 25% levo-amphetamine, 75% dextro-amphetamine, or maybe 20/80. yes i know people say levo is trash but i think it helps, unlike just pure dextro maybe its they dont work as well by themselves but together they are alot better (for me atleast) but i wanna know that way i can get that 25/75 combo i want.

Rayzor
10-09-06, 05:32 PM
If i'm not mistaken, Adderall has the 75%/25% D to L-amphetamine ratio you are looking for.

Hyperion
10-09-06, 07:29 PM
Yes, Adderall is 75-25 d-l. Technically it is listed as a 50-50 mix of dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine, but racemic amphetamine by definition a mixture of equal parts dextro and levo. So half of the dose is dextroamphetamine and the other half of the dose is split between dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine, which means it's 75-25.

With regards to amphetamines, you're not going to get someone to make it for you. That's manufacture of a controlled substance, which requires levels of licensing, regulation, and inspection that are fairly expensive and very difficult to get.

If you really want to alter the ratio of D/L, you could always see if your doc can split the dose between Adderall and Dexedrine, but it sounds like the ratio in Adderall is closest to what you seem to be discussing.

VisualImagery
10-09-06, 07:46 PM
You are talking about compounding pharmacists. They do make custom formulations of many medications but do not manufacture the raw materials. Compare them to Executive Chefs-they purchase the ingredients for food production but do not grow or raise the food themselves. Compounding pharmacists use formulas analogy-recipes, the doctor prescribes.

I am no expert on what they do by any means, but you could google this yourself and learn more about what they do. It would help you understand the process and restrictions.

RADD

JustNeedHelp
10-09-06, 08:07 PM
no i dont want 75% levo 25% dextro (adderall)
i want the opposite 25% levo 75% dextro.

and i though about asking for both adderall and dex but that might be pushing it gettign prescribed two amphetamine drugs i might have a better chance getting ritalin and dex (but i will never again take methylphenidate)

melv
10-09-06, 08:14 PM
(but i will never again take methylphenidate)
alright, you all know i gotta ask ... WHY?????

JustNeedHelp
10-09-06, 10:17 PM
call me crazy but i personally feel that the levo-amphetamine helps my ADD in a way (maybe some derivative of levo-amphetamine just helps me focus, and maybe that derivative isnt in dextro i dont know, the adderall worked wonders (when i took twice the prescribed amount to make it a total of 20mg doses, but the thing with me doubling up my dose was at first i did it to see if it was worth asking to get my perscription upped, and i realized it helped alot, and after a week or so i forgot i wasnt suppose to be taking 20 mg's but only 10 and then somehow taking 20 mg's sorta became the norm for about a month (then side effects kicked in and i hadda stop)) but i tried the same with dexedrine (20 mg's) and i dont know if its the same im only tkaing 10mgs now havent tried taking 20 mg's but once (by accident i was rushing and forgot i already took my dose) but it worked then i tried it agan about a week later and it wasnt the same, the adderall was more consistent with effectiveness i think dex isnt that effective after awhile. (for me atleast)

Hyperion
10-10-06, 01:36 AM
no i dont want 75% levo 25% dextro (adderall)
i want the opposite 25% levo 75% dextro.

I think that you are confused (or possibly dyslexic?):

Adderall is:

75% Dextroamphetamine
25% Levoamphetamine

theta
10-10-06, 09:44 AM
Yeah the levo isomer is going to be mainly felt by your body not your mind. It was
not too many years ago that levo-methamphetamine 50 mg was in Vic Nasal
inhailers sold OTC for a few bucks( in the 90's). The formula changed now but the point was the government permitted it because it was weak and devoid of strong CNS
action.

I do not know the history of Adderal but maybe it came about because it got some
patent protection on that 75%/25% formula? The point is you do not need the levo-isomer.

Stabile
10-10-06, 02:08 PM
The only significance of the levo- and dextro- in Adderall is the apparent absorption rates of the various salts. There are four, all different in how they peak, designed to provide a natural sustained effect.

(Makes sustained release Adderall a kind of oxymoron, doesn’t it? Marketing is king…)

The simpler dextro- salts are effective at a lower (i.e., cheaper to produce) dose, but the original undifferentiated hodge-podge generic amphetamine was judged equally effective in an appropriately higher dose. The ratio pf levo- to dextro- varies a bit by process, as you would expect.

The apparent experiential difference in effects of dextro- and levo- salts isn’t very well documented, especially with regards to AD/HD.

You’ll find wildly differing opinions on this, supported largely by personal impressions. But the good news is your personal experience is all that should matter to your doctor, if s/he’s doing his/her job.

As far as getting ‘scripts for two different stimulant meds, that depends only on your situation. We have no problem getting both Ritalin and Adderall, in my case written on the same ‘script. What matters is that you and your doctor understand the point of your treatment regimen.

Of course, then you have to get past any insurance difficulties; in the good ol’ USofA we can legally kick and scream and get our way almost every time, as long as the doctor is on board.

But some funny stuff remains: they won’t allow 120 - 10mg Ritalin (10mg qid) without a hassle, citing an arbitrary max of 100. But they happily fill 60 – 20mg Adderall and 60 20mg Ritalin on the same script. And they’ll give me 100 20mg Ritalin, essentially 200 10mg tabs when split. Go figure.

As long as your have a good reason to believe the intended dosage would work for you, you should be able to at least get it for a trial period. If you run into trouble, you might want to check out an alternate physician.

Stabile
10-10-06, 02:14 PM
…It was not too many years ago that levo-methamphetamine 50 mg was in Vic Nasal inhailers sold OTC for a few bucks( in the 90's)…
(grins…) The 90’s? That long ago?

I don’t think the dose was nearly that high, the price was closer to two bits, and inhalers containing amphetamines were gone before the Sixties rolled around.

Which was pretty long ago, at that…

Frangible
10-10-06, 02:23 PM
The Vic's inhalers are still sold OTC, with real levomethamphetamine in them. But levomethamphetamine has very little of a central effect, so despite the name it's really not that special. Probably quite similar to pseudoephedrine, I'd imagine.

http://vicks.com/products/vapor_inhaler.shtml

theta
10-10-06, 09:08 PM
The Vic's inhalers are still sold OTC, with real levomethamphetamine in them. But levomethamphetamine has very little of a central effect, so despite the name it's really not that special. Probably quite similar to pseudoephedrine, I'd imagine.

http://vicks.com/products/vapor_inhaler.shtml

Yeah the formula has been changed. In 1996 it still contained 50 mg
levo-methamphetamine.

theta
10-10-06, 09:10 PM
(grins…) The 90’s? That long ago?

I don’t think the dose was nearly that high, the price was closer to two bits, and inhalers containing amphetamines were gone before the Sixties rolled around.

Which was pretty long ago, at that…

In the US levomethamphetamine 50 mg per inhalers was available OTC in
the mid 90's.

http://www.ndaa-apri.org/pdf/ntlc_meth.pdf

page 139 ref #4 was 1993

theta
10-10-06, 09:39 PM
My bad Levmetamfetamine = levomethamphetamine

Its still in there. Again its 3-4 times weaker than the d-methamphetamine
and will have lots of nasty physical side effects at a strong CNS dose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levmetamfetamine

JustNeedHelp
10-11-06, 12:48 AM
well then could it be that the Aspartates, sulfates, and succharates could each possibly give different effeects or different 'methods of actions' causeing the adderall to work better than the dexedrine pure sulfate? maybe dextro-amphetamine aspartate is more effective in some cases then dextro-amphetamine sulfate?

theta
10-11-06, 12:57 AM
well then could it be that the Aspartates, sulfates, and succharates could each possibly give different effeects or different 'methods of actions' causeing the adderall to work better than the dexedrine pure sulfate? maybe dextro-amphetamine aspartate is more effective in some cases then dextro-amphetamine sulfate?

Maybe, my brother is a drug addict and uses hydrocodone. He got mad
when a pharmist used a different hydrocodone tablet (with the same
amount of active agents) he was sure that they were not as potent.
Seemed crazy to me.

I guess maybe we should define "better". I will go back and read your OP.
--------------
I read the levo-isomer has a higher conversion to p-hydroxyamphetamine.
Who knows maybe your very sensitive to it or levo-amphetamine. Way to
many varibles to narrow down. Your going to have to in great detail explain "better".

JustNeedHelp
10-11-06, 06:19 PM
better being more effective... what else could it be?