View Full Version : Learning an Instrument

mccinny
10-09-06, 10:44 PM
Trying to learn guitar for about the 4th or 5th time, but still have trouble with procrastinating my practice and focusing in general. Any good tips out there? HELP!!

D

*~ §EEK ~*
10-10-06, 12:08 AM
Do a search for "guitar lesson" and "guitar lessons" on google's new "video" search engine. --> http://video.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wv&q=

Maybe learning visually will be more appealing to you.

In fact, I just checked and there are quite a few "Guitar lesson" videos here --> http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Guitar+lesson%22&hl=en

And "Guitar Lessons" here --> http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Guitar+lessons%22&hl=en

Best of luck! :)

mccinny
10-10-06, 09:51 AM
Thanks Seek. I had a teacher about a month and a half ago, but had to stop due to finances, I have a great book with CD's, but I just can't stay focused and keep procrastinating. Man it's frustrating as heck lately in all aspects of life. Like I've had the turbo button in my mind turned on.

lunaslobo
10-11-06, 12:22 AM
Trying to learn guitar for about the 4th or 5th time, but still have trouble with procrastinating my practice and focusing in general. Any good tips out there? HELP!!

D
I was going to start procrastinating learning the guitar, but decided to put it off till later.

*~ §EEK ~*
10-11-06, 12:54 AM
I was going to start procrastinating learning the guitar, but decided to put it off till later. LOL :D

I worked on learning guitar for more than 1/2 of my life and I spent boat loads of money on it too, then after suffering from a major bout of depression, after I finally got better, I lost all interest in playing guitar!

However, I have recently been feeling that itch again, so maybe it wasn't a total waste.

~boots~
10-11-06, 12:56 AM
I was going to start procrastinating learning the guitar, but decided to put it off till later.LOL LOL..

I remember wanting to learn ANY instrument when I was 13 or 14..violin, or piano, or guitar..but everytime I mentioned it I got LAUGHED at :( :( At the time, I had NO idea why..now I can understand why they laughed at me, even though it wasn't nice:eek:

mccinny
10-11-06, 02:18 PM
I can get so far into it, and then the distraction hits. I guess I was hoping for some clever ways to work around the ADD, or at least a trick or two. Oh well, there's always air guitar and the kazoo.

D

Jesse 7.0
11-11-06, 11:49 PM
I am trying to learn guitar and turntables. I want to make trip hop music.

sweet_lenny222
11-25-06, 01:50 PM
I begin playing the guitar about 15 years ago and became ok at it. About 5 years ago I switched to the bass I have made quantum leaps in my playing and <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Musical understanding. I am able to play with professional musicians at this point with no problem. I play in some very good band and hope to be able to make a living with it. <o:p></o:p>

My primary ways of learning are private lessons for 1/2 hr a week (mostly music theory and technique), watching video and live shows with good bass player, Listening to all types of music, Learning songs by ear and with the help of tablature are sheet music, And playing in different band and with just about any body who wants to practice.<o:p></o:p>

I become very focused when I play, I could play 24 hours a day, but I have to make my self do other think so I don’t go nuts.<o:p></o:p>

I find it very ease to get along with musician; most of them tend to show ADD/ADHD qualities especially the very talented ones.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

dannyjvh
11-27-06, 06:09 PM
Lenny, I'm the same way. I've been playing for 10 years now, I don't practice everyday because I'd forget or procrastinate, but when I actually sit down and start playing I can keep playing until I started shaking from starvation. No joke. I've played in a few bands and the one thing I tell everyone who is interested in playing an instrument is this. Play with other people. You can practice for hours and hours on end, but a 15 minute jam session goes a lot further towards making those connections between your hands, ears and heart. Definitely go out and get lessons at least until you learn the basics and have somewhat of an understanding of where you want to go next.
There is no substitute for practice, you have to find a way to motivate yourself towards a goal. With the add issue it is very difficult to hold yourself to this. One way I used to motivate myself was a weekly jam session with my friend who is a drummer. After playing we would decide what song we would work on for the next week. Even if we didn't learn much of the song we would jam the parts we had learned over and over again(the neighbors loved us:) we each could tell if the other hadn't practiced and that kept us moving in the right direction.

I went to the McNally Smith Institute of music in St. Paul MN to study guitar performance and as soon as I got there I had an awesome realization. Most of the people there were just like me, just slightly off center. Out of the four people in my band during college(including me) one was taking adderall, and two were taking wellbutrin...Really makes you think..

crime_scene
11-28-06, 09:12 PM
I used to take lessons on the clarinet, which helped me practice because I had to learn the homework for the teacher by the next lesson!!! (i'm not sure it's add to procrastinate practicing, I'm nonadd and I'd rather not ever practice yuck)

I agree other than lessons, it's good to play with others both those who are at your own level because that is satisfying, and with those who are a bit better than you, because that's challenging.

Good luck!!

mccinny
11-30-06, 11:07 AM
I have no problem playing with my teacher or others, it's just getting in the chair at home and making myself practice. Even if I really feel like I want to do it, I always find something else to do, or 'get lost' in something. It's a delightful situation to be in. lol I can remember enjoying piano as a child and even doing some recitals, but staying on the bench for more then a few minutes was always a point of contention for my mother and me. heh Maybe I'll check the bass out.

mccinny
11-30-06, 11:08 AM
Senoi, good taste. I dig Trip-hop as well. I thought it had fallen away quite a bit since the mid-nineties though. Unfortunate, but I still like to listen to it.

Jesse 7.0
11-30-06, 10:55 PM
Senoi, good taste. I dig Trip-hop as well. I thought it had fallen away quite a bit since the mid-nineties though. Unfortunate, but I still like to listen to it.
Bands I like:

DJ Shadow
UNKLE
Radiohead
Massive Attack
Portishead
Propellerheads
Zero 7

liquid4012
12-20-06, 11:37 AM
Do any of you musicians have trouble with distractions/losing beat when you play? Can any of you guys play and sing at the same time? This is something I never could do, no matter how hard I've worked at it. It's like I can't "just play" or "just sing" when I'm doing the other. I have to focus on one or the other and then I either forget the song or forget the words in the middle of it. I've always been envious of people who could do that, even though I'm only a casual player and really haven't picked up my guitar for a while. I'm even amazed at people who can play on stage while talking to a band mate.

seldomseen
12-21-06, 01:05 PM
Do any of you musicians have trouble with distractions/losing beat when you play? Can any of you guys play and sing at the same time? This is something I never could do, no matter how hard I've worked at it. It's like I can't "just play" or "just sing" when I'm doing the other. I have to focus on one or the other and then I either forget the song or forget the words in the middle of it. I've always been envious of people who could do that, even though I'm only a casual player and really haven't picked up my guitar for a while. I'm even amazed at people who can play on stage while talking to a band mate.When I play I find I'm less distracted and more locked-in when I stand to one side and turn so I'm facing the other band members. Standing, always standing. Never could play sitting down (my excuse is that I play a wind instrument -- harmonica -- and it constricts my air column, but that's probably BS. My attention wanders when I sit and play, but I'm not gonna tell everyone that!). When I turn to face the audience I'm also likely to wander. I find that when I lose focus a) I start going with "get-me-over" licks instead of actually playing, b) I miss cues, and c) I fall out of the rhythm pocket. But when locked in, I'm all over it.

Though singing & playing simultaneously is not an issue with me (only got one mouth), I don't see how folks can do it. I do some backup/harmonizing vocals, but my mandolinist swears I have a better voice than he does & wonders why I don't sing lead. Part of it is that I just can't remember lyrics to save my life.

Jesse 7.0
12-21-06, 06:22 PM
I have been practicing my CDJ (cd truntable for DJing) and piano and am getting frustrated.:mad:

lunaslobo
01-03-07, 12:05 AM

D
got a guitar for christmas. now i can start procrastinating my learning.

mccinny
01-04-07, 01:18 PM
Liquid4012,

I'm the same way. I think maybe we have to try harder to train both sides of the brain to work simultaneously. I'm sure there are plenty of ADD drummers out there, but this is a good exercise to try and build that part of thinking and motorary function I think. I can barely do it myself though.

My biggest problem with most anything that requires thought and skill is this. If I think too hard about it, I find that it screws me up and I can't keep whatever going. This could be keep a sustained beat or playing pool. I'm sure this is a correlation here with my ADD but, unfortunately I can't seem to figure it out.

mccinny
01-04-07, 01:21 PM
Lunaslobo,

I'm going to take up an offering and see if we can't buy you a jokebook so you don't have to beat that one to death. ;-)

D

lunaslobo
01-05-07, 08:50 AM
no, i really did get a guitar for christmas :D and a book and cd on learning to play. unfortently all i hve done is put it off so far. :cool: I am hoping i dont do that for long. My daughters friend said she would help me with it and give me free lessons. i wont beat this joke any more I promise, well atleast I wont beat it with my new guitar, my wife would kill me if i broke it already. I mabe can do that when i become a famous rock star. or is that rocks people will be throwing at me for my playing.:eyebrow:

mccinny
01-05-07, 05:03 PM
heh. No worries, beat away. You probably have the same book series I have, although the name escapes me. Miles apart from my older study material. My wife has already made the obliqitory statements about me purchasing a guitar I rarely use. Good thing for her is was a cheap knockoff.

But honestly, my last teacher refreshed my mind on music basics and taught me more in a few visits than I've had all my life. I just wish I had the money to go back before long.

Alicat2
01-30-07, 04:47 PM
I've been taking violin lessons for 3 years and love it. I think it is a creative outlet for my ADD, but it can be difficult to focus on practicing like I need to. :rolleyes:

Ichpuchtli
02-02-07, 03:10 AM
I just play and love it. I am always destracted from what I am supose to be practising cause I make stuff up.

4gotAgain
04-28-08, 06:26 PM
listening to dakah makes me want to learn the violin.
Dont know if I would be any good.
Ive been told I'd be good on the drums.
It would let out alot of energy..

I kind of gave up on music after being forced to learn the recorder when I was younger. If you have heard a recorder before, you will know what I'm talking about lol..