View Full Version : How long does Focalin last

BrightShadow
10-11-06, 09:02 PM
Hey, I just got a new perscription of Focalin. I have had this before, however its been a couple years (I really didn't like the stimulant effect, and I would try strattera except since it takes a while I don't want to do it right now) and I don't remember how long it lasts... I have a feeling its about 4 hours but I'm not sure. Just now I went looking on the web and saw they had Focalin XR. I wish my doc had told me otherwise I probably would have gotten those. Does anyone have (of course someone has *slaps forehead*) experiance with Focalin and then switched to Focalin XR?

This is only my second post recently after having been gone after just joining for a couple years. Glad to see it all still looks the same! :)

-Bright Shadow

BrightShadow
10-12-06, 06:52 PM
Well I both realized though taking it, and eventually I found its supposed to last aprox 4 hours... I am supprize though that nobody answer my post *scratches head* oh well... I still love you guys even if its not reciprocated!
-Bright Shadow

jerry83
10-12-06, 10:28 PM
Don't feel upset. From what I know Focalin is very new (or is it just the XR?), so maybe that's why not many people have taken it/responded to you.

Hyperion
10-13-06, 10:42 PM
I do not have experience with Focalin, I think Jerry is right about why there aren't a lot of posts on it.

I would think, from a chemical perspective, that it should be somewhat similar to methylphenidate (Ritalin), except that one would want to use a smaller dose. Focalin is to Ritalin roughly the same as Adderall is to Dexedrine. You should probably call your doctor's office, or the pharmacy, or if it is late at night, you can always call poison control. They can look up definitive numbers on correct dosage and timing.

In the meantime, this chart:
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/107/108528.htm

From Webmd.com, which may or may not be accurate, I do not know, lists Focalin as short-acting, 3-4 hours, which makes sense. It also lists the dosage as twice that of Ritalin, which also makes sense since Ritalin is half dexmethylphenidate.

Still, I am not a physician, this is not medical advice. Call someone who actually has a relevant degree (and malpractice insurance) before doing anything.

Nurgle
10-24-06, 01:35 PM
I take the Focalin XR, which has a release lag of 4 hours. In my experience, this lag is too long. But, when once upon a time I took Ritalin, I metabolized the hell out of it as well, and a dose only lasted me about two-and-a-half to three hours.

My solution was to have my Dr. split my XR dose into two smaller XR pills; I take my first dose, then take the second dose two hours later.

Another thing, is that we talked over and discussed my feelings that Adderall was a far better focusing med for me, but put me straight to sleep. Focalin was giving me energy and drive (also severely lacking in my life, as I'm an inattentive type) but only a bit of focus. So, we added in a bit of Adderall. Between the two meds I've come to a nice balance. BUT one of the interesting side effects of adding the Adderall (snort, is that phrase making anyone else giggle a bit?) is that it seems to smooth out the Focalin a LOT. I only need to take all the XR pills in the morning now, rather than spreading them out. Although, now I get a bit jittery at the release times instead.

Pft.

Was that any help?

Matt S.
10-24-06, 02:16 PM
Ummm I am afraid that I must correct the whole Focalin is to ritalin as Adderall is to Dexedrine theory because focalin is the dextro to methylphenidate (hence the name Dexmethylphenidate) and ritalin is DL-methylphenidate or the racemic mixture of salts and dextroamphetamine is dexedrine whereas Adderall (formerly known as Obetrol) is a combo of 4 amphetamine salts 2 Dextro salts and two of the older amphetamine sulfate salts (not clear to the tee because adderall is garbage as a medicine in my opinion) the correct way to put that statement is Focalin is to ritalin as Dexedrine is to Benzedrine (regular old amphetamine sulfate) I dont mean to be a P#$ck about that but I think dexedrine is the best adhd med and as far as age and what the doctor prefers to prescribe is that statement true...

toastermax
10-26-06, 04:34 AM
I have had bad side effects from taking ADDXR and zero good effects, should i consider Focalin XR? how different are the effects?

Lisa1
01-11-07, 01:21 AM
Hello my name is lisa an my 9 year old takes foclinxr for school and they say it's supposed to last all day but it doesn't I see a change by like 2 in the afternoo and the teacher says she's more lively in the afternoon so It seems to only last 5 hours or so

BMONEY
01-28-07, 03:44 AM
10 to 14 hours from Scatterd Minds by Dr Lenard Adler

netsavy006
01-29-07, 08:51 AM
Focalin XR is ment to last I believe 8 - 12 hours.

netsavy006
01-29-07, 08:52 AM
Focalin IR is 4 - 6 hrs. I belive.

Darksanity
01-30-07, 11:52 PM
How can Focalin last 4-6 hours when normal Ritalin lasts about 1h30?...

netsavy006
01-31-07, 08:37 AM
Focalin is a modified form of ritalin so it works a little differently. If you consider a left hand and right hand, Focalin only has the left hand portion of ritalin, while ritalin is both hands...

netsavy006
01-31-07, 08:38 AM
I've never heard of ritalin lasting that short!

62vetteefp
01-31-07, 12:38 PM
ritalin last 3-4 hours

Focalin is 3-4

per ADD warehouse

netsavy006
01-31-07, 12:55 PM
I thought ritalin was more like 3 to 4 hours...

Anise
02-02-07, 01:57 AM
Just in case this person is still reading this and looking for an answer:

I have had bad side effects from taking ADDXR and zero good effects, should i consider Focalin XR? how different are the effects?

Adderall didn't do anything for me most of the time, either in XR or IR. Occasionally, it would work, but most of the time it just didn't. I don't think I really had bad side effects, but it was pretty awful to have it not do ANYTHING 80% of the time. Focalin is GREAT, both in XR and IR. Wonderful, wonderful, can't say enough good things about it. It's expensive and my insurance barely covers any of it, but it's more worth it than I could ever say.

Darksanity
02-07-07, 02:41 PM
How the hell do you guys feel Ritalin for 3 to 4 hours??? Everytime I tried it, it lasted a big 1 hours MAX..... While Adderall and Dexedrine lasts about 3 hours for me.

So basically, it would be rational to think that Focalin has the same effect duration than Ritalin right? Focalin is no "bid-deal change" compared to Ritalin...

Anise
02-07-07, 06:56 PM
I think you're talking about IR, for one thing. Also, Focalin is different enough from Ritalin to really make a difference for some people.

MGDAD
03-13-07, 01:02 PM
The length of time that these drugs last, varies from person to person.

My 9yo daughter takes Focalin XR and sometimes just the Focalin.

The regular Focalin lasts about 2.5 to 3 hours.

The Focalin XR lasts about 6 hours.

Generally she takes an XR pill at 8:00am and by the time she gets home from school it has worn off.

It really works wonderfully for her. No side affects at all.

resonate
06-14-07, 12:40 AM
I started Focalin XR 20 mg a day first thing in the morning. Seems to last all day. I hate the dry mouth and unpleasant taste in my mouth. Almost kind of metallic taste, anyone experience anything simliar?

bikemike
07-31-07, 06:46 AM
I have been taking Focalin XR for about 3 months now. Ever since day one, it has never lasted the advertised time. As a matter of fact, I can take one 10MG does at 6AM and another at noon. However, by noon it has completely worn off for me.

I am seeing 5, maybe 6 hours max. What are peoples experiences with some of the other long acting meds, such as Dexedrine Spansules?