View Full Version : Anxiety-Job Offer-Scared

pittguy578
10-12-06, 07:27 PM
I think people have read the problems I have been having at work
I have hate my job
I got a job offer for a new company doing inside sales. I received the offer today. I have never sold before. I interviewed really well, and when I left the company after interviewing the last time, I felt really good about the company and the job, but now that I finally have the offer, I am having a panic attack.
I am thinking "what if I am not good at selling" I will have left the job I have now and have nothing if I fail. I work for a fortune 200 company now, but in a position I don't like. I don't know what is wrong. I have all of a sudden gotten a major panic attack:(

VisualImagery
10-12-06, 08:05 PM
Pittguy,

I know how you feel! When I was to start grad school, the same thing happened to me-I was panicky, breathless, heart palpitations, and felt like throwing up for days! I think that after a pattern of failure or waiting to do something we waited to do for years, those of us with ADD doubt our abilities and wonder if we will fail! If you are older like I am, you have several decades of such feelings-making it even tougher I think. Self-concept is how you see yourself, self-esteem is how you feel about yourself. Both of these are affected by living with untreated ADD for many years. We "hear" the past, and it seems come back at the worst times-When we are experiencing good things in our lives.

When I started my first and second teaching jobs, I worried the entire time that I was not good enough, was doing things wrong, did not work hard enough, every mistake I made was a horrible failure, and so on. Other people helped me put it in perspective. Funny though, as I look for another teaching job, the same thoughts haunt me. They are not as bad anymore, but still they are there. I have to play positive statements in my head and go to friends for support. Counseling has been a big help too!

I found the following website a big help, the link is to a page with statements I put in a little spiralbound index card thingy and use when I am dealing with anxiety-It really does help-and is one more helpful tool to help you function well and not have anxiety overwhelm your life! A good anti-anxiety med might help you through the initial months of the job-are you currently on an anti-anxiety medication? I know it helps me-not 100%, but so very much, that life is easier!

I hope my input helps you just a little bit,
RADD

THE ANXIETY NETWORK HOME PAGE (http://anxietynetwork.com/index.html)

Coping statement-excellent!
http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html#helpcop1

pittguy578
10-17-06, 02:05 PM
I am afraid I am going to lose the offer
I can't make a move on it:( I am sad about having to leave all the people I work with despite the fact I know I don't want to do what I am doing
I have done this in the past. I have had all intentions of getting a new job and actually get an offer and then get anxiety before I take it..

The other thing is that at this time, I am beginning to see someone, the first girl I really liked in a long time. The job is in the opposite direction from her, at least for the next two months and then it would be closer to her. Beginning of a relationship is always the most important. I am hoping I would lose her:(