View Full Version : I Am So Scared

raspberryrum30
10-22-06, 05:48 AM
:( hi add teachers i am currently in collge studying to be a teacher myself and i am very close to doing my student teaching and i am afraid that i am going to mess up. i am afraid that because of my condition that i will be the worse teacher in the world and that all of my schooling was for nothing. i feel in my heart that i am ment to teach but i am just so scared. i am so scared that this add is going to mess me up

plus i am not very good at job interviews and this worries me to

Imnapl
10-22-06, 11:58 AM
It is normal to be "scared" about student teaching. Your heart is in the right place and some of the best teachers in the world have ADHD. Re: job interviews: you can get coaching for that.

WonderLand
10-22-06, 02:43 PM
If anything, I think it might make you a teacher...And schooling is neever for nothing -- always keep trying.
I'm taking teaching as a profession and have a job as a group leader to 20 1rst graders at an After School Program.I used to be nervous, but I caught on.
You can do it! :-)
~Wonderland

VisualImagery
10-23-06, 01:01 AM
Raspberry...,

Welcome to the teacher insecurity club! I feel the same way too. But know I am a good teacher. I am looking for my next job and really wrestling with how to write my cover letter. My credentials are super, but I am not like most teachers. That is not good or bad-it is finding a school that is the right fit for me! ADD is an advantage for me (other than the paperwork!) I can connect with the kids and relate to their struggles. Plus, I have seen a lot of teachers with ADD who are usually some of the most creative, enjoyable, and well liked teachers in the school! Remember that! :D Students always know if you care about them as real people! That makes all the difference in your ability to teach them!

Be confident in what you know you are good at-and know that every new teacher feels like that! ADD just adds another dimension! Student teaching will really help. But, do not tell anyone about your ADD. Only if it becomes safe or appropriate would I say anything! It was not a problem at one school, but was at another. Just wait until you know, or it becomes necessary!

Since I know I am a very different sort of peg in the teaching world, my cover letter is going to be very frank about it! I must be exactly what I am-and if they want me they need to know what they are getting! :) I am working on it this week and hope to have a few of my teacher friends on here look it over and give me their gut reactions. I understand the nerves. I started teaching at 50, just 2 years ago! Take care and don't doubt your caring, dedication, and willingness to do whatever it takes to teach your kids and help them succeed! Keep us up to date on your journey!

RADDmom-
PS. I love teaching and not teaching is like a gaping hole in my heart. It is not easy-I work very hard at it. But, motherhood and teaching are two of the toughest jobs you will ever love!

ms_sunshine
10-23-06, 09:29 AM
Raspberry :)

The first time I had a field study experience, I was scared to death of messing up. I thought my college was insane for letting me anywhere near the process of molding young minds.

Then I opened the front door to the middle school I was placed in, stepped into the main hallway, and it was as if a light switch turned to the on position. I was home. I belonged.

It took several more years of training before I was finished preparing to be a teacher. Every time I stepped into a new building, a new classroom, that switch went to the on position. I still had the same fears, too. What if I forgot something, what if I failed, what if I couldn't reach the students, what if...

What if I was great at what I did? What if I had a passion for it that started when I was in preschool? What if all the years I spent struggling as a student myself actually prepared me on a level my professors of education never could?

Believe in yourself, Raspberry. All the years of study come together, I promise. With time and practice, you too will find your unique style and voice in the classroom. Look into the possibility of subbing, too. It could be a great confidence booster for you, and act as a precursor to your own classroom. :)

Take advantage of any interview preparedness training your college/university offers. It's a very valuable tool, and your tuition pays for it.

Best of luck to you!

peridot
10-23-06, 01:20 PM
Ditto to all the above.
Never underestimate the power of an "eccentric" ADD teacher to interest and inspire her/his students.

raspberryrum30
10-26-06, 11:14 PM
Thank you guys all from the bottom of my heart the advice is definatley appreciated.

Grade A
10-27-06, 10:29 AM
:( hi add teachers i am currently in collge studying to be a teacher myself and i am very close to doing my student teaching and i am afraid that i am going to mess up. i am afraid that because of my condition that i will be the worse teacher in the world and that all of my schooling was for nothing. i feel in my heart that i am ment to teach but i am just so scared. i am so scared that this add is going to mess me up

plus i am not very good at job interviews and this worries me to
I am not a teacher, but I think you should keep positive, you have come this far. You will be a great teacher. Everyone makes mistakes and that is to be expected.

Just do your best and I bet you will shine:)

add_maslinbeach
10-28-06, 08:04 AM
I have been a teacher for 25 + years. Everyday I feel I am going to mess up. Whether it is our high perfectionist standards or the reality of our issues with memory, losing focus but learn to put strategies in place to support you.

I make sure I am well prepared. I have the lessons all mapped out in skeleton form and detail on overhead transparencies to keep me a)on track b) to jog my memory.
I build a lot of structure into my lessons and courses to support me when I am feeling vague and can't think- especially, when teaching something new. The ability to improvise is based on sound subject knowledge

I put a lot a care and work into hands-on tasks, activities and games to add variety to help students learn in other ways. ADD teachers are more sensitive to the importance of needs of different learners. I make that my trademark.

Make your insight and understanding of coping with ADD your asset.

PS Some days I do stuff up but other days I am brilliant.

raspberryrum30
10-28-06, 09:28 PM
thanks alot thats great advice

I have been a teacher for 25 + years. Everyday I feel I am going to mess up. Whether it is our high perfectionist standards or the reality of our issues with memory, losing focus but learn to put strategies in place to support you.

I make sure I am well prepared. I have the lessons all mapped out in skeleton form and detail on overhead transparencies to keep me a)on track b) to jog my memory.
I build a lot of structure into my lessons and courses to support me when I am feeling vague and can't think- especially, when teaching something new. The ability to improvise is based on sound subject knowledge

I put a lot a care and work into hands-on tasks, activities and games to add variety to help students learn in other ways. ADD teachers are more sensitive to the importance of needs of different learners. I make that my trademark.

Make your insight and understanding of coping with ADD your asset.

PS Some days I do stuff up but other days I am brilliant.