View Full Version : Slapping - Hitting: Is this part of tourettes?

pudding
10-24-06, 04:16 PM
My daughter 13 and has t.s. She has vocal, and other simple motor tics. She has started something recently that we've never seen before.

She is constantly on the computer. Now, every minute or so she slaps the keyboard (or the space bar) really hard. The family thinks she is just hitting the space bar to hard when she is typing, but she has said "mom- don't you understand I can't help it. I am doing it when I'm not even typing."

Since it's not vocal, and not a twitch for some reason it is espcially annoying to everyone (the sound of her slamming the keyboard) Is there any suggestions on how to handle this problem.

Scattered
11-07-06, 03:53 PM
It sure sounds like part of Tourettes. Tourettes can get into very complicated movements and such. I don't know that there is anything to do to stop it. Medication sometimes helps but can cause it's own set of problems at times. There are some good books about Tourettes -- biographies and such (at the moment I can't think of their names). But you might check the library -- sometimes just knowing that others go through similar stuff is helpful.

Take care,
Scattered

QueensU_girl
11-09-06, 10:09 PM
I think they are both motor. (sounds and slapping)

One needs motor signals to generate verbal output, and move the voicebox, tongue, and mouth.

This is part of why people who had have strokes cannot talk. (eg dysarthria)

What makes Tics diminish? Does stress make them worse? If so, maybe less PC time?

I tend to think that too much PC and TV time is bad for people.

Energizer_Bunny
11-11-06, 06:44 AM
It sounds like a tic. Keep in mind that tics wax and wane and come and go. Hopefully it will be short lived. Emma prompted a good question on asking if stress or something may be causing the tic and possibly less PC time. Is this happening as soon as she sits down at the computer or will it happen 10-15 minutes later? If that is the case, then have her PC time in shorter sessions.

I had a job where I was doing a lot of data input, and my job function was causing me to tic more. I would have to back away from my desk area, go somewhere, calm down and go back to doing what I was doing. To much stimulation would cause me to tic around the PC.

I hope this will help you.