View Full Version : Barefoot Lass's household hints

Crazy~Feet
10-25-06, 01:40 AM
For when ya screw things up or need some ADD-friendly housecleaning pointers ;).

http://members.tripod.com/~Barefoot_Lass/index-5.html

Great tips like:

Cleaner Microwave
Dissolve two Tbs. baking soda in one cup water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Let the solution boil in the microwave for a few minutes so that the steam condenses on the walls. Then wipe clean with a damp sponge. Zoe was kind enough to add this important warning; "Always put something like a toothpick or a straw in the water that you're boiling in the microwave. Otherwise, it could explode when you take it out and give you a bad burn, because it actually reaches a point beyond boiling." Thanks Zoe!

Hardwood Floors
Patrice from Litchfield, IL sent in this tip; "When cleaning my hardwood floors, rather than deal with the mess of a mop bucket, I fill a spray bottle with one part vinegar to three parts water. Spritz the floor and use a sponge mop to clean. The mop doesn't get soggy, but the floors still get clean." Thanks a bunch Patrice!

VisualImagery
10-25-06, 01:57 AM
Did she say how often she cleans those hardwood floors? How does she deal with the dog hair. I have to sweep that first, then mop! but I like the spray bottle instead of bucket-but I have over 500 sq feet, the bottles don't hold enough and my hands hurt. (refinished em myself too-several years ago!)

I just microwave a damp dish towel that has a drop of mild detergent-steams and cleans like a dream!

Crazy~Feet
10-25-06, 02:11 AM
Those are just examples B :) she has tons of tips there. I am one for good tips too, like my blog post on toothpaste ;).

VisualImagery
10-25-06, 02:17 AM
I just got to chuckling while thinking about my house! And cleaning it! Still chuckling.

andecala
10-25-06, 07:00 AM
like my blog post on toothpaste ;).
What about toothpaste?

Crazy~Feet
10-25-06, 07:39 AM
I was considering this this morning while polishing an old silver bracelet. Toothpaste will polish silver that has tarnished quite well.

Its also a very mild abrasive and can polish tiny scratches out of CDs, DVDs and video game discs. Many a tantrum has been averted by my clever use of Crest to get a game "unstuck". Yay me.

Furthermore, if your children like to bang doors (or selves) upon walls, or throw objects (or selves) at ceilings, you can use a dab of toothpaste to fill in tiny holes. Or on white walls after you remove the nail that held up the picture of your ex-mother-in-law. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif
I am taking submissions as to what else toothpaste can be used for, please comment if you have any great ideas as to what I can do with a nice tube of Colgate Regular plain white paste.

Heaven knows my kids refuse to brush their teeth with it, anyway.

Personally, I would love to apply it to several people's keyboards. That'll teach 'em to annoy the Toothpaste Goddess!!

(copied from my Yahpoo pages blog)

Grade A
10-27-06, 01:48 PM
I just microwave a damp dish towel that has a drop of mild detergent-steams and cleans like a dream!
WOW that is a great idea, thanks.

Oh and the dog hair thing, I hear ya.

I do not us a broom, can't stand it. I use one of those swif thingy brooms. great for dog hair.

boone1
10-27-06, 01:52 PM
Is there any quick and easy way to get my room clean?

Somehow I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Grade A
10-27-06, 01:55 PM
Is there any quick and easy way to get my room clean?

Somehow I doubt it. :rolleyes:
Hire a maid, and its like you didn't do anything.

I am on a roll today with my humor lol.