View Full Version : Favorite low-tech/cheap ADD toys?

erratica_1
10-26-06, 04:13 PM
My two new favorites:

1. Kitchen timer: I carry this *everywhere.* If I didn't, I'd never get things done. It's fun to play little games with yourself.

2. Ear plugs: My most recent discovery. *Excellent* for blocking out the world.

BartStorm
10-29-06, 12:37 AM
1. Kitchen timer---cellphone. Cheapy one with a few alarms on it. Goes *beepbeep* and *bzzbzz* 30 or so times throughout the day.

2. Ear plugsTried them, they hurt my ears and make your inner ear all wet and moist. Maybe when I find a good pair (those big, blue, plastic, construction worker headphones didn't make my nights any better either, and they made me look silly ...).
I assume you are using them because you're too sensitive to things when going to sleep? Here's one for you: a klamboo (clamboo?): you'll sleep like a rose, without some fancy device blowing toxic fumes into the air.

---Pen, with some velcro wrapped around it to stick it above my head in the car (thank you NASA astronauts!)
---Velcro: be careful with this one, they come cheap and once you start using it you'll stick them everywhere you can. I use them in the car, on the PC, in the kitchen, .... .
---Small notebook with some bright yellow paper on the front. Lives in my back pocket. Should have evolved into some form of "HipsterPDA" (Google link) (http://images.google.com/images?&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&lr=&as_ft=i&as_qdr=all&as_dt=i&as_rights=&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi&q=%22Hipster%20PDA%22) by now, but hasn't. Probably because it's already very efficient ... or because I'm procrastinating, again ;).
---Post-It: everywhere.
---Agenda, a big paper one, "small" reminders go in the cellphone ... *bzzzzt*!
---Friends. Not *always* cheap, but invaluable. For guidance, advice, fun, ... . Strange as this may seem, but I've only been diagnosed a few months, and I hope I will never forget what those guys have meant to me ... and I *do* tend to forget lessons learned :(:(.

boone1
10-29-06, 10:25 AM
---Post-It: everywhere.

I can't live without post-it notes!

I have a folder that I keep all coursework that I need doing or that I need giving in to school, it has my timetable in it as well so that I won't forget to bring my homework. Unless I forget to look in my folder :rolleyes:

charonshanti
10-29-06, 12:44 PM
Stopwatch. For once in my life I'm finding out how long my chores take.

COLOR. Adding color to all my easy-to-lose always-need and always-looking for items.

Radio. Background music helps me notice the time slipping by...

Grade A
10-29-06, 10:05 PM
Radio is a must for me while doing house work, the louder the better. I also need it when I am at work to focus.

Note pad with magnet for fridge, it stays on the fridge so it is always there when I need it.

Oh, and the post-its at work.

boone1
10-30-06, 11:58 AM
Chewing gum is another one for me. It really helps me concentrate at school and in exams.

Radio is a must for me while doing house work, the louder the better. I also need it when I am at work to focus.

Music helps me focus too, I wish they'd let me listen to my ipod in school becuase it really does help and it's not distracting me.

charonshanti
10-30-06, 01:51 PM
Oh, yeah, my "launchpad". Don't know if it's exactly a toy, but it works. I keep a small basket in my coat closet with purse, phone, sunglasses, & keys, gloves, etc. A larger basket is for misc I have to take with me. My portfolio sits right next to that, and my coat or sweater is hanging right there too. Trying to gather all that last minute didn't seem like much, but I was always late and running back in for 'one more thing'. Or desperately looking for my keys.

I wanted a neat little basket of shelves by the door for my launch pad but unfortunately the dryer already lives there. So it's in the closet, and it works.

erratica_1
10-31-06, 09:43 AM
I assume you are using them because you're too sensitive to things when going to sleep? Here's one for you: a klamboo (clamboo?): you'll sleep like a rose, without some fancy device blowing toxic fumes into the air.

Well, I actually use ear plugs during the *day*. For some reason, they help me focus on the task at hand.

That klamboo is really cute, though! I've always wanted to sleep with curtains around me (not sure what the "fancy device blowing toxic fumes" would be, though...)

erratica_1
10-31-06, 09:45 AM
Music helps me focus too, I wish they'd let me listen to my ipod in school becuase it really does help and it's not distracting me.[/QUOTE]Reminds me of my old job. I used to wear my iPod when I made copies in the morning so no one else would talk to me. Those white cords dangling down are the best :)

BartStorm
11-04-06, 01:42 PM
I actually use ear plugs during the *day*. For some reason, they help me focus on the task at hand.
To block things out, yes. I often close the curtains as to not be distracted from people passing by etc., for instance when doing the washing up ... it only takes 45 minutes instead of the usual hour and a half. ;)
Or if people above me start getting really loud I *add* some of my own music, which actually doesn't help very long.

That klamboo is really cute, though! I've always wanted to sleep with curtains around me (not sure what the "fancy device blowing toxic fumes" would be, though...)Something like this: http://www.scjohnson.com.au/prd_bdr02_Baygon_ElectricMozzie.html

(Is it really called "a mozzie repeller" in English or is that "Slang from Down Under"?:p:p) It does work, as long as you change the tablets regularly and use it in a space that is not too big, but it has some disadvantages compared to the clamboo:

-expensive
-it blows some kind of chemical in your bedroom
-people have told me it's bad for fertility. No matter what, I never trusted it 100%.

Can I add a few more favourite things?

David Allen's GTD (Google link (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=David+Allen+GTD&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images)): one of a few very popular time-management techniques to use at work, at home, everywhere. Basically a way to organise things better, faster, more efficiently.
Actually, that's how I discovered I had ADD: I was on one of the Yahoo Groups (see here (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Getting_Things_Done/), don't let the "finance" in the URL scare you off), which has a lot of AD/HD members. Started reading up on things, eventually leading to my diagnose. The owner of the group, Daly de Gagne, is an AD/HD'er himself.

Lifehacker: http://www.lifehacker.com/. Much, much toys in there. Don't get addicted ;).

VisualImagery
11-06-06, 02:22 AM
Pads of paper-I can't lose the pages! They can be spiral, legal type, graph paper pads, anything! I like having an assortment. Large and small! The 10 cent back-to-school ones are the greatest. Oh, I turn them sideways and write across the lines! The spiral doesn't get in my way! Top bound notebooks are my favs. It helps to label what each notebook is used for!

Colored pens-all sorts!
I mind/concept map-they are essential, plus I get bored with only one color! And??? I love pens!

And yes Post-its! I have a huge box! So many uses-with colored pens too!

QueensU_girl
11-06-06, 11:12 AM
Exercise.

boone1
11-06-06, 12:51 PM
Colored pens-all sorts!
I mind/concept map-they are essential, plus I get bored with only one color! And??? I love pens!

And yes Post-its! I have a huge box! So many uses-with colored pens too!

I use coloured pens all the time as well, that's a good one.

Post-its seem to be really popular. :D

VisualImagery
11-06-06, 01:43 PM
Ring binders - tabbed dividers - page protectors

I used this in grad school to organize my thesis articles! one tab per article-nothing got lost and their were easy to find.I even grouped articles by section of the thesis-duplicating any article used in several places-grab and go-everything ready to use for one section! I hate file folders and loose papers! File cabinets are good for art stuff and storage!

Now I use the same system for all sorts of other things-at work and at home!

Clear or colored plastic banker's envelopes-the kind with that little string and the two buttons-keep things to put in binders, receipts, a red one of rmy have to do, pay, prescriptions-important can't lose stuff! Put papers to grade in them and handouts. I keep my tech manuals in them! All those little manuals that get lost so easily! I like the CD pocket-I slip a label in there.

Pencil cases for ring binders-clear window is best about $1!
The ones with the metal grommet really last and slip in briefcases or computer bags too!
Great for electronics cords, you can see what is in it and label it. They come in colors and prints and so one! I keep one in a zip binder with pens, pencils, a little sharpener, and erasers.

No, I am not super-organized! Get that notion out of your head! :D

Make-up bags-they do come in black guys! come in lots of sizes!
Not just for make-up! Medications, phone/PDA charging cords in briefcase, backpack, or purse! (I bought an extra phone cord for travel and keep it in my purse!) Anything else you need to carry, control, or not be seen!

radd

charonshanti
11-07-06, 04:30 AM
A standup file sorter on my desk, one of those that slants upward so you can actually see the tab on each ascending folder. Clear & color-coded file folders. Files labelled with verbs "Call" or creative titles "Get this done by monday or else" to get the brain going.

And a small basket in my main work areas to toss the things that belong somewhere else--when it's full I go put everything away, and in the meantime all those visiting items were neatly out of sight.

Does "haircut" count? It takes me so much less time to get out the door when my hair behaves. Good haircuts are an ADD'ers friend....

ADDition
11-08-06, 10:18 AM
Fidget squeegie type toys from the dollar store!

dormammau2008
11-10-06, 08:59 PM
open unvitsrty no1 an smilesy on yahoo no2 thats me fave things thats most usefull to me dorm

ninchen
11-12-06, 08:40 PM
I love love love my cheap yellow earplugs- they are a godsend. Some people may have narrow ear canals and find it difficult to use them. You can always go to your local audiologist and have a pair of custom plugs made.

Just to be honest and open here, I am an audiologist and I am not making a plug for earmolds for my business (yuk yuk!) Just wanted to share!

ETA: a blank notepad and a good pencil for doodling during meetings. I find I can listen better and not feel the need for 15 bathroom breaks if I can doodle.

Nova
11-13-06, 12:07 AM
My mobile phone (with a several games downloaded)

Books (I carry one with me at all times, in case I don't want to play a downloaded game, on my mobile)

charonshanti
11-13-06, 02:06 AM
ETA: a blank notepad and a good pencil for doodling during meetings. I find I can listen better and not feel the need for 15 bathroom breaks if I can doodle.
I can't imagine getting through a meeting or lecture (of which I have several each week) without the doodle/notepad.

VisualImagery
11-13-06, 02:34 AM
10 cent spiral notebooks-great for anything-just write-no pages lost, 70 pages-lightweight and so on!

Colored pencils
Carabiners
Lanyards for keys, flash drive, name tag, phone, voice recorder-slip in day bag, pull out by lanyard-colors make it easy. My collection incluces standard black, USMC, Army National Guard, and long colorful shoe laces, just for fun! Add a carabiner-and no more lost things!

My REI bag-organizer pockets! no more lost tech stuff, room for meds-and..... People think I am "organized" LOL! Love that puppy! Best $40 I spent in a long time-even has room for lunch and it not too big at all. Includes a hidden waist strap! Great for traveling and daily living-wish I got paid for this! :D See link! It is orange inside-no dark place that swallows needed stuff. Pockets, zippers, mesh things, loops. I guess I am just addicted to cute things with pockets!

Personal Organizer Shoulder Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/47814909.htm)
I never leave home without it.

Velcro-industrial strenght is cool! add to side of file cabinet (adhesive on back)-you can mount anything-power strips, file holders, etc. Take down when needed!

Magnetic Poetry words-great for stress relief! People leave the weirdest contributions! Put on frig, file cabinet, some white boards, anything metal! Would be cool to have larger ones for stuff too!

RADD

erratica_1
11-13-06, 12:16 PM
I remember 15 minute bathroom breaks from undergrad. And my first real job (which didn't last too long ;))

oddjobace
12-17-06, 12:31 PM
How about an understanding, and thoughtful girlfriend. Although, not always inexpensive.

rubbdog
12-04-07, 02:01 AM
My favorite is silver Silly Putty (you can still buy it in the egg shaped container).

I have a tiny "emergency pack" that I try to keep with me, especially when going shopping or out for a meal. It was originally an earplug container with a belt clip and a lid that seals tight when snapped closed. Inside I have the following:
-An extra dose of my meds.
-A set of "air pressure" ear plugs (designed for flying).
-2 dental floss "refills" (food stuck in my teeth can drive me crazy).
-2 cotton balls (to stop everything from rattling)

hollyduck
12-04-07, 10:44 AM
I can't live without post-it notes!

I have a folder that I keep all coursework that I need doing or that I need giving in to school, it has my timetable in it as well so that I won't forget to bring my homework. Unless I forget to look in my folder :rolleyes:
Post-It Notes -- patented early 1970s.
Adult ADHD -- recognized early 1970s.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!

Ducky

Kimmy
12-04-07, 12:24 PM
pony tail holders--my hair drives me insane. i cant deal with it touching me when im trying to drive or think. hair clips are great too.

a purse-- i didnt start carrying a purse until this year, but its a god send.

gum--makes me quit biting the insides of my mouth and helps me pay attention

music in the car-- helps me drive better

Silicone
12-05-07, 05:43 PM
music in the car-- helps me drive better
Amazing how ADD affects everyone differently - I zone out with music in the car. Not good so I always turn the radio off when I borrow my husband's car. My car radio broke a long time ago. Never got it fixed.

And while I don't think this qualifies as a toy, it is definately low-tech:
Manual Transmission
Haven't had an accident since I got rid of the automatic and bought one with a stick shift (15 years ago.) That was a good decision.

Plenty of tickets, but no accidents.

Silicone
12-05-07, 05:47 PM
Does "haircut" count? It takes me so much less time to get out the door when my hair behaves. Good haircuts are an ADD'ers friend....
I agree. Only problem is making and then actually getting to the haircut appointment. I missed so many I started going to the places where you just walk in and wait your turn. Naturally, I hardly ever got around to going. I got so frustrated at myself, I learned to cut my own hair.

VisualImagery
12-05-07, 10:46 PM
Wire mesh pencil cups, zipper lock bags, permanent markers, graph paper for notes, hole punch, ring-binders, tab dividers, lots of colored pend and pencils, a business card wallet, book shelves/cases, baskets without top handles-look nice on shelves and don't show contents.

Clear plastic banker folders-the kind with the string that goes around the flat 'button' things. Papers don't fall out and get lost! Good for sewing patterns, small manuals for electronics, and of course for documents! The CD pocket can hold a label nicely and easy to see what is in them!

Just a few of my favorite things!

Addesso
02-10-08, 07:31 PM
Rubik's cube. With the know-how (the web), it's actually a lot easier to solve than it initially seems.

Harmonica.

Drum sticks w/rubber pad.

Yes, not exactly the quietest or least frustrating of the toys out there. =D

Addesso
02-15-08, 05:12 PM
Forgot one: Bathroom crayon, the kind that you can write on glass or tile with and wash away. Usually in the kids section of stores.

I have post-its in most every room, but not the bathroom cause the moisture ruins the pad. And anyhow, most of my ideas come when I'm in the shower and I'd ruin the pad anyhow trying to fish for it with my wet hands. So I just use the crayon to write on the glass door or the shower tiles. Or if I'm brushing my teeth, I'll just write on the mirror. Then when I'm done, I'll dig out my PDA or a piece of paper and write them down for permanence.

erratica_1
05-04-08, 09:18 AM
That is a great idea!

I wish you could write on every surface in the world. I would lose a lot fewer notes :p