View Full Version : Reading tips anyone?

Grade A
10-27-06, 10:59 AM
Hey guys/gals,

I want to buy ADD book, but I am procratinating about it big time:faint:

Everytime I buy a book, I read a little and get bored, or find something else to do.

I read one book and loved it, couldn't put it down, but that was rare.

So my question is, how am I going to read and learn, if I can't finish a book, or get bored in the middle, and don't know how to pick it up again.
I have a problem with having to read sentences again and again, because my mind wanders, or I just don't get it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

charonshanti
10-27-06, 01:20 PM
Choose a more readable book?

Sometimes it's not the ADD, it's the way the book is presented that makes it hard. There are a lot of informative authors that need much better editors.:p

Contrary to normal reflexes, you don't have to read the whole thing. Give yourself an hour (set a timer) and skim. Only read paragraphs that seem pertinent to your life, and settle for what you pick up in an hour. If you haven't picked up anything useful in an hour, consider the book read and done with. It can be tossed or put on a reference shelf, but it doesn't have to stay in the reading pile.

If you find enough good stuff in the book that you want to go back for another hour later, fine. Set the timer if it reminds you it's not an endless task.

There's a lot of ADD books out there and not all of them are really relevant for you. And if you can get the info you want in a book that's short, to the point, and easy to read, why try to stick with one that's boring, excessively wordy, is visually interesting, and looks like a textbook?

My vote so far for most informative and fun read so far is "ADD-friendly ways to organize your life." (includes instructions on skimming and how to get rid of your reading backlog ;) ) What book did you find that you liked? And are you looking for any particular area of ADD info? (What ADD is, ADD and women, living with ADD, doctor-oriented info, ADD treatment, organizing your life with ADD....)

Grade A
10-27-06, 01:38 PM
Charonshanti,

I am glad you put those points down, it makes it clearer for me to ask my next question.

Which book should I get that I will understand, and pretty easy to read, that I will be interested in?

How is Driven to Distraction???

Thanks for that

boone1
10-27-06, 01:40 PM
I find reading really difficult too because I get bored so quickly.
I read about 4 or 5 books at the same time so when im fed up with reading one, I'll go on to another and so on and that works for me.
But I doubt that system works for everyone.

I haven't read it yet but ive heard that Driven to Distraction is a really good book to read. People recommend it all the time on these forums.

charonshanti
10-27-06, 01:58 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14941&highlight=favorite+books

It's a list of people's favorite books, with a little bit about them.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769 is tips for reading books about ADD.

We need a new kind of book review that considers both worthwhile content and presentation (readability). So... here's the criteria:

Concise & to the point, not wordy
Interesting visual layout, easy on the eyes & not textbook-like
Practical & informative
Less than 1" thick (less important than the preceding, but after all... a good author should be able to get his point across in 1", unless he's really writing a textbook!)
Anyone have an ADD favorite that fits into that criteria?

PinkPanther_04
10-27-06, 05:18 PM
How is Driven to Distraction???I'm reading it now and it's great. Lots of examples of real people with ADD, but none are drawn out so much that it seems tedious. I find that it's written in a pretty conversaton style as well, which helps a lot with readability.

FrankS
05-30-07, 04:57 PM
I do like "Boone1", I read three books at the same time and it works great for me!
For the book I definitely recommend
"ADD: A Different Perception" by Thom Hartmann,
("The Hunters in a Farmer's World")

willpower101
06-07-07, 08:49 AM
take adderall before you read?

Johnnny
06-07-07, 09:36 AM
i read the best an hour or two after i wake up

Onine
06-11-07, 12:52 AM
i suggest brian lumley. he writes very well but sometimes babbles. this might help you focus more on what he is writing.

check out the necroscope series. its one of my favorites.

especially the naughty vampire part in a later book.:D

mijahe
06-14-07, 10:11 PM

So my question is, how am I going to read and learn, if I can't finish a book, or get bored in the middle, and don't know how to pick it up again.
I have a problem with having to read sentences again and again, because my mind wanders, or I just don't get it.

Any tips would be appreciated.I try to read in the morning on my way to work. I still only get to read half a page at a time before my mind wanders. I've discovered several different scenarios wher my mind wanders and different ways of tackling it:

* The half page wander - I realize shortly into it that I'm doing it, and I get back to it. I try not force myself into it, because that won't work. I'll just try to imagine what I've read so far, and continue on.

* The mega half page wander - this usually starts to happen about 30 minutes into reading. The best way is to close the book and let my mind wander. If I don't I'll be forcing myself to read, I won't be able to read, then I'll get frustrated, then, (if I'm reading on the bus), I'll get embarrassed that I've been on the same page for 15 minutes, etc, etc.

* The can't read at all wander - just don't no amount of effort will help. But, sometimes if I HAVE to read something, then I'll go for a run/walk, then come back and try to read.

Crazygirl79
06-25-07, 06:40 PM
There's a really good book by Sari Solden it's called "Women with Attention
Deficit Disorder" it's very helpful and easy to read....you'd be surprised how much of yourself you'll see in that book.

When I read it it brought out a range of emotions good and bad but it helped me to see, accept and embrace myself for who and what I really am.

Selena:)

Crazygirl79
06-25-07, 06:41 PM
Wait until you're in a hyperfocusing state and then pick up the book!!

Selena:)

roneydapony
10-02-07, 08:58 PM
Totally read Driven to Distraction. It's written by a dr with A.D.D. and it's designed so that the first chapter has all the info you'd need, in case you don't make it past that. It has short chapters, it's interesting.

theobjr
10-03-07, 08:25 PM
I had a class last fall where the professor gave out a couple of readings on study skills and they helped me a lot.
If you really want to learn about something here is a good tip that helps you remember. I did not have to really cram for exams at all after I started doing this.
When you read a paragraph, try to write a one or two sentences in the margin in your own words that contain the main idea of the paragraph. It may take a little longer to read the book, but you won't have to re-read. All you would have to do to refresh yourself is to flip through the chapter and read the sentences you wrote in your own words.
I had an economics class where I used mind maps. Start at a main idea in a box on a piece of paper and try to connect all the other ideas in the chapter (or book depending on how you want to do it) first to the main idea, and then connect them to eachother.(Does this make sense?)

Kimmy
10-24-07, 02:34 AM
before being diagnosed ADD, i would read books in the fastest times. then re-read the same book 4 more times or so. i always had the general idea but noticed each time i read the book, i grasped on to some new info i hadnt noticed the first time. i just thought i was super enjoying a fave book over and over LOL

i agree with above to just skim to what interests you. maybe mark it so if wanna re-read it you can find it again to go over.

MaNaeSWolf
10-24-07, 05:24 AM
I try to read in the morning on my way to work. I still only get to read half a page at a time before my mind wanders. I've discovered several different scenarios wher my mind wanders and different ways of tackling it:

* The half page wander - I realize shortly into it that I'm doing it, and I get back to it. I try not force myself into it, because that won't work. I'll just try to imagine what I've read so far, and continue on.

* The mega half page wander - this usually starts to happen about 30 minutes into reading. The best way is to close the book and let my mind wander. If I don't I'll be forcing myself to read, I won't be able to read, then I'll get frustrated, then, (if I'm reading on the bus), I'll get embarrassed that I've been on the same page for 15 minutes, etc, etc.

* The can't read at all wander - just don't no amount of effort will help. But, sometimes if I HAVE to read something, then I'll go for a run/walk, then come back and try to read.
Hey, you named it exactly as I have it.

I find that at times I just cant put a book down, Irr read a 1300 page book in a week. the next book Ill read will take me months of hard struggleing to get through 200 pages. Reading "veronica decides to die" now, its great, just get way too distracted though. Have to continuely re-read everything.

Stabby
12-18-07, 11:08 AM
In 12th grade we once got this text which was actually meant for 13 year olds. Everyone was laughing at how simple it was written, but I was actually relieved that I could finally read something with little effort.

Someone who can relate to this?

dan_the_man
03-27-08, 04:07 AM
I have a book on ADD and ADHD

I still have not even read the first page.

cliff notes anyone?

flirtingwithfate
06-25-08, 11:23 AM
I love reading but have a hard time doing it as much as I would like because I do get bored easily, struggle to find the right book, etc. I have found setting a specific time and making that a routine helps me read regularly. For example, 30 minutes before bedtime as a way to unwind and sleep better. Also, make sure you have a comfortable area free from as much distraction as possible, and keep your book(s) there so you don't lose them;)

meriellyn
09-21-08, 03:34 PM
I read a bunch of books at once and jump around when I get bored.
I love to read in the tub because it's the one place I don't get distracted.

I picked up Women with Attention Deficit Disorder Wednesday night and have been flying through that one faster than anything I've read in a long time. It's actually the only one I've been reading this week. Lol.

ArtfulDodger
09-21-08, 08:33 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but both Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction are available in audio format, for those of us who struggle to get past the first paragraph whenever we pick up a book. :p There are also both abridged (shortened) and unabridged (full) versions depending on your level of interest/attention span. I "read" both of them this way. I'm pretty sure I would have struggled with them otherwise.

A good place to buy and download them is here: http://www.learnoutloud.com

Audiobooks are my general solution until I can see if meds are any help!

Song of Mercy
09-21-08, 10:25 PM
This is a little different twist on the last suggestion. I keep a small kinda cute journal with me while I read. I outline the book as I read. I find the main idea of a paragraph and then fill in the sub-points. It does take awhile to read but I usually stay focused and when I review I really get a refresher.

QueensU_girl
01-15-09, 03:11 AM
spam above me (again!)

kwalk
01-15-09, 03:41 AM
I feel like what you just said was what every english teacher taught me in middle school, and what most of us probably should know, or remember a brief image of. Yet I nevver really got pass copying down the stuff they provided and tried much there after.
just like they tell you to highlight key points in a book-I was going to offer that because my attention is so short I don't end up writing those little notes and just put post its in pages I want to look back on. I planned in my head to write a brief word or two on the post its but I never do.
and just like they tell you to skim read, get a general idea by the first and last sentence of a paragraph, I still just won't do it, my mind gets carried away by all the other sentences and it's like I have to read every word for it to make sense, though i still dont understand it most of the time.

I've really liked you mean I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid? it was written especially for ADD friendly reading, has weird pictures, and my personal favorite is checking the index, lol i end up highlighting what I want too because i'll keep forgetting that I was interested in like 3 different thigns in the index and never come back or remember what I was interested in to begin with. -pf even if I do highlight I still forget and I don't know why I even read sometimes i'll reread a sentence i've highlighted like it was total new news for me and look at it like, wtf i already read this and none of this crap sinks in ever. But I like this one cuz i can pick it up and read like a page that happens to be what i'm thinking about at the moment and that settles down the answer or stimulates me for the moment.
Somehow though, when i say i dont remember, i just cant think of it when I want to, as well as not remembering details but just somewhere in my mind it makes sense but its not able to be expressed in words or even written on paper soon enough. A lot of my memory bounces off external stimuli or just like a word someone says can bring me to recall it and it's all off topic, (that doesn't mean i say it tho, lol but I think this is why we go off topic like that)-- crap i'm so off topic right now haha

gnbeg
01-19-09, 11:12 PM
Hey guys/gals,

I want to buy ADD book, but I am procratinating about it big time:faint:

Everytime I buy a book, I read a little and get bored, or find something else to do.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Buy the audio version of the book you are interested? It has worked well for me to buy the books I'm interested in on iTunes or Audible.com and listen to on my iPhone of on my Mac. You can't find all books there. You could always follow up reading the hard back?

Reading is really hard for me most of the time. I have spurts where I can focus and I can go through a couple of books. But this is rare. Like many here, it's not uncommon for me to have to read a book multiple times. If I *REALLY* need to read AND have it sink in, then I'll take notes or outline the material while I'm reading.

The book "Deliverd from Distraction" by Hallowell is a good ADHD read. As others have noted, the author has ADHD and wrote the first chapter for those of us who have a hard time getting deep into books.

Aaargh, this is a tough issue with me and a lot of us.

mvt2009
01-19-09, 11:46 PM
I have read parts of both Delivered From Distraction and Women With Attention Deficit Disorder and I generally get through them because I read the chapters that are most pertinent to the information that I need at the time.

I am also one to read anywhere from 3-5 books at a time, that way I'm covered no matter what mood I'm in when I sit down to read. I generally like to read mystery or suspense, even horror books because they keep me interested with guessing and trying to figure out the clues. Books with too much description or wordiness, although mostly of better quality, are really hard for me to read because I get bored with the details. I end up skipping over them and thus loosing the gist of the story.

Thankfully I'm so overwhelmed with trying to make my classroom successful, I don't have to worry about finding books that interest me. :rolleyes:

Marnie

Leonidas
01-23-09, 04:37 AM
Grab an ADDerall, Do not think about how hard is going to be for you reading a book, Open the book a start reading.

You should never feel obliged of reading a damned book. No one is going to judge you. I use to procrastinate a lot reading a book or even an article in the newspaper! I was denying like crazy to read a book mainly because of my ADD and my attention span. After a few tries I realized that the thoughts that I have prior to reading are merely creation of my imagination, reinforced from passed experience.

Some times we need to do staff without spending much time thinking about them. Get in a bookstore. Buy the ADD book you are most interested in. And open it as soon as you sit somewhere! Thats what I did and that's how I manage to read Driven to Distraction which by the way has helped me organize my life a little bit further.

I hope my experience help some of you guys and girls.

All my best to everyone who is struggling with ADD. I was diagnosed 4 months ago.. at the age of 22... Its never to late! I moved here from Greece, where they have no idea about ADD...... I was considered stubborn........ lazy........ you know... Oh my... I jumped to another chapter again..!! :) hahah

ADD happiness to everyone!

bookwurm2
02-07-09, 01:05 AM
Get audio books and listen to them in your car or on your commute. You can check out audio books from most public libraries for free. There are some ADD audio books.