View Full Version : Reframing

inquisitive
10-27-06, 07:41 PM
i'm not sure if this should go here, or if I should've started a new thread (mods, feel free ot move it if you see if fits better somewhere else!) ... but i was reading on your experiences of positive reinforcement and remembered a study i read about on parent's use of positive reframing and was wondering how similar is this strategy to positive reinforment, does it work hand in hand, or is it completely different?

positive reframing is where stressful experiences are redefined to make them more manageable. Therefore, rather than seeing a situation as an unsolvable problem, parents reframe their view of the circumstance into a challenge to be overcome.

??

livinginchaos
10-27-06, 10:00 PM
Positive reframing is different from positive reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement is a consequence that increases the probability of the behavior occurring again. For example, I'm wearing a teal blue shirt and my friend compliments me saying that that color shows off my eyes. Her compliment increases the probability that I will wear that shirt again - or even buy a new shirt in that color.
Or my mom gives me money for school because she saw how hard I worked last semester. Her acknowledgement of my hard work and reward of money will most likely increase the probability that I will continue to work hard at school.

Positive reframing is more of retraining yourself to THINK more positively.
Instead of saying that I suck at cleaning my apartment, I could say that it's a challenge for me to clean my apartment. Or, I had a horrible day at work because of one situation with a co-worker - I could say although that situation wasn't easy, I handled it to the best that I could at that moment.

Does the explanation help?

Courtney

inquisitive
10-29-06, 10:26 PM
i can see the difference. when i stumbled on it and then read about the positive reinforcement thread i thought it might work well hand in hand. for example parents use of their positive reframing could help them positively reinforce certain behaviours of their child.

thanks courtney! :)

livinginchaos
10-30-06, 07:01 PM
It's possible for them to work hand in hand . .

I can see where it could help a parent be more positive with their child and it can help to teach people to not get so down on themselves.

I think positive reframing is a great thing! I like the topic and am happy you brought it up, inquisitive.

It's something most everyone could work on, I believe :)

Courtney

inquisitive
10-30-06, 10:02 PM
i agree because it's definiately easier to spot things when it's being done 'wrong' and quickly get caught up in the 'anger' that its been/being done the 'wrong' way and be negative about it ... and harder to push for the positives when there's more of the 'wrong' being done.

so i think it takes a much stronger person to be more positive when things are challenging.

i think its something everyone - not just ADHD related people - should work on.

... think happy thoughts ... :)

livinginchaos
10-31-06, 12:20 AM
I'm a pretty positive person, but I find positive reframing helpful when I dwell on things that I possibly screwed up on.

I agree, inquisitive, it most definitely takes a much stronger person to be more positive during challenging times.