View Full Version : Telling my parents what goes on in my therapy sessions

inspired101.200
10-28-06, 05:56 PM
I've been going to a counselor for the last few months, and was only recently (last month or so) diagnosed as ADD. I'm a college student (21 years old) living at home, so it's easy for my parents to ask what I talk about in therapy. Initially I just told them what I was comfortable telling them, but lately they've been asking more and more questions and I've started to feel guilty about not giving them all the information. I'd like to "lay down the law" and tell them to stop asking, but I guess I'm not sure how to do it tactfully, or really if it's a good idea to "lay down the law" at all. Thoughts?

Jax

speedo
10-28-06, 06:43 PM
You probably don't need to lay down the law, so to speak, but you could kindly tell your parents that you love them, but that the information is personal enough that you don't feel comfortable talking about it in great detail.

ME :D

VisualImagery
10-28-06, 07:12 PM
Hey,

they won't tell a parent what an underage child says in counseling unless it is ok with the child or if the child is threatening to harm self or others. Especially if it is a HS student. They have the right to confidentiality! So do you, especially at 21! Just tell your parents thank you for caring so much, but the sessions are confidential and you will talk about things when you are ready and only if you need to discuss an issue with them. Are they insisting you tell them or just wanting to know? You could have your counselor call them too-but since you are an adult-they might not. Your parents cannot access your medical records by law! Unless you give them permission.

I was informed from the beginning that the counselor would not share what was said in sessions unless....there were specific conditions for that.

RADD

lbawd
10-28-06, 10:24 PM
When I am not ready to talk about therapy I will usually say something like "lets talk about it later I am still processing/absorbing what we talked about".

3ALLADD
11-02-06, 03:35 PM
They're probably just concerned about you, and being parents' of a child who hasn't moved out of the house yet and is only 21, they're not used to not knowing everything about you. It's probably really difficult for them to know that you're dealing with something, and they can't help you.

I would cut them some slack, and not "lay down the law" per se, but just really nicely tell them that you know they want to help, but that they need to learn to respect your privacy, and when you feel the time is right, you will give them the jist of what you're talking about. You don't have to fill them in on every little detail, just what you want to tell them about.

If they persist even after you've told them how you feel, then you may have to get harsher, but try to keep in mind that they just love you. Good Luck!

sweet_lenny222
12-04-06, 05:45 PM
I would "lay down the law" it is not right for them to ask you this, and I would tell then so ("I wonder how many times they have corrected your behavior?"). It seems that there is and a lot of codependency issues between you are your parents.

I say this because 1) you are 21 living at home 2) they still want to know all your business. These kinds of situations can lead to low self esteem, addiction, and a very lonely life for you. Itís about time to cut the umbilical cord!

People with ADD have an amazing amount of talent and creativity but this all goes to waste if they donít find the strength to take control of your life, learn to be true to themselves and quite listening to people who always think they know what best for them who really donít have a clue.

Guest this topic got me a little fired up. lol

Tara
12-04-06, 05:49 PM
Jax,

Have you talked to your counselor about this? I'm sure he or she has dealt with this type of issue before. Maybe together the two of your can come up the best way to deal with your parents when it comes to this issue.

JustNeedHelp
12-09-06, 06:31 PM
Jax,

Have you talked to your counselor about this? I'm sure he or she has dealt with this type of issue before. Maybe together the two of your can come up the best way to deal with your parents when it comes to this issue.i agree!!!!!!!
talk with your therapist about it! maybe ask your therapist to call/takl with them about th esubject (but only on that subject)

Skully
12-17-06, 03:23 PM
Well, when your mom asks you about therapy, ask her about her last visit with the gynocologist! Some things are personal, and should be left alone. Just explain that therapy is your outlet not to be judged. Some things aren't meant to be discussed with parents and friends. Ask your mom why she stopped giving you baths? She will probably say because you got older and she gave you privacy. This is the same thing. It is private!