View Full Version : From Adderall to what???

shady_atl
10-29-06, 01:37 PM
Whats up everyone-

I am currently on 90 mg / day of Adderall XR. It is working, but not very well. Since I got up to 90 per day, the side effects are getting more pronounced. Adderall XR helps with a number of my ADD issues, but isn't consistent, doesn't last long, and doesn't help much with my concentration and focus.

I'm going to see my pdoc tomorrow. Any suggestions on what med to try next?

Thanks

Mike

Frangible
10-29-06, 01:40 PM
No offense, but with that high of dose, what's your sleep quality like? You can get that tested. If the side effects are interfering with your sleep, sleep deprivation will greatly undermine the benefits of the medication.

SDspedTEACHER
10-29-06, 01:42 PM
I switched to Concerta from Addy which didn't work for me either. Concerta is doing more than Addy, but again I feel as though something else might work better. I'm not going to ask my doctor to switch right now, and am willing to give Concerta a month or two, but the 36mg doesn't help as much as I thought it would. I do feel more "together" my mind doesn't seem to be in such a thick fog (but there's a fog nonetheless), and I can generally keep my attention on one thing which was difficult before. I started taking the Concerta at 12 rather than upon waking and this has helped a bit especially when I felt I was struggling the most (between lunch and dinner).

shady_atl
10-29-06, 02:11 PM
No offense taken. I've always had a really high tolerance for drugs of any kind. My sleep really hasn't suffered much as a result of taking Adderall, partially because I'm on 200 mg of Zoloft, which I'm going to taper off of once I find the right ADD meds / med combo for me. I would say the only sleep issue is that I can't sleep as late as I used to - which is probably a good thing. I would say I'm averaging about 6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours of sleep per night.

My side effects have been:
-irritability
-If someone makes me angry, I tend to respond with a more intense level of anger then before. Not with violence or anything, I just get more intense
-Occasional shortness of breath

My main issues with adderall xr are that it doesn't help me concentrate and focus very much, it is pretty edgy(ups and downs), unpredictable, and doesn't last very long at all.

What are the differences between Concerta and Addy XR based on your experience?