View Full Version : The Life of a Substitute

VisualImagery
10-31-06, 10:01 PM
I was in the Severe-Profound High School class for half the day today. I am exhausted. Everytime I am there, I come home in tears. They have the bodies adults and minds of small children, and one has no cognitive connection to the world that anyone can fathom. Two are in diapers, they all must be accompanied to the bathroom. I have not done anything like that before. I don't think I was ready to see/assist adolescent boys use the restroom.

I cannot help but admire the aides who are underpaid, yet work so hard and care so much! I always come home thankful I have ADD! These days put things in perspective for me!

They had a Halloween party today. There is a "rainman" in one of the classes! He is the neatest kid! Knows everything you could imagine about the Titantic and the Brittania-I had never heard of the Brittania. He knew about the Lusitania and could tell you how many people where killed in each disaster. He would read beautifully! But then, there is the other side of savantism. I wish I saw that much enthusiasm for history amongthe regular ed kids!

As a substitute, I never know what class I will be in each day! These classes truly make me stop and think about my life and my outlook! Tomorrow I float for staffings-IEP meetings!

RADD

Imnapl
10-31-06, 10:14 PM
I cannot help but admire the aides who are underpaid, yet work so hard and care so much!How very kind of you to notice.