View Full Version : crankiness and "holidays"

slow
11-01-06, 10:07 AM
i am starting to keep a journal of med timing and resulting effects... influenced greatly by solarlife's musings! :D

i took my meds an hour before breakfast yesterday and everything was fine ... till about 2pm. i ate lunch at noon and noticed that i was getting more and more irritable or cranky or anxious. i took my xanax at 1pm thinking that it was just me being anxious (or one of the other things i listed above). it wiped me out! it normally does not make me that tired, but it kicked my butt and really didn't help! i waited till 2pm to take my adderall and started to come around at 3pm. i felt "better" all the way around. DO A LOT OF PEOPLE GO THROUGH THIS?? normally when it wears off in the evening, i'm just a little tired, but that's about it. no crankiness!

i also wanted to get more feedback from people who take a day off or "holiday" from the adderall. some feel awful and others are just tired without a lot of issues. what are everyone elses experinces? do some of you just reduce doseage for a day? all comments welcome! :D

thanks in advance!
slow

SolarLife
11-01-06, 01:15 PM
i am starting to keep a journal of med timing and resulting effects... influenced greatly by solarlife's musings! :D

i took my meds an hour before breakfast yesterday and everything was fine ... till about 2pm. i ate lunch at noon and noticed that i was getting more and more irritable or cranky or anxious. i took my xanax at 1pm thinking that it was just me being anxious (or one of the other things i listed above). it wiped me out! it normally does not make me that tired, but it kicked my butt and really didn't help! i waited till 2pm to take my adderall and started to come around at 3pm. i felt "better" all the way around. DO A LOT OF PEOPLE GO THROUGH THIS?? normally when it wears off in the evening, i'm just a little tired, but that's about it. no crankiness!

i also wanted to get more feedback from people who take a day off or "holiday" from the adderall. some feel awful and others are just tired without a lot of issues. what are everyone elses experinces? do some of you just reduce doseage for a day? all comments welcome! :D

thanks in advance!
slowslow,

ADHD drugs affect everyone differently and can affect the same person differently over time. I've haven't experience crankiness (yet) from Adderall's ebbing effects but tiredness. Anxiety, definitely; more so in the mornings. I been taking a beta blocker more than the Clonazepam for anxiety to control the physical manifestations -- jitters, shakes, etc. Mentally I may feel calm but my body can be so distracting because my legs are bouncing or eyes darting about yet my thoughts are not. Fun, huh?

I don't know your morning dose (I assume you're taking IR "instant release" Adderall), but it starts to wear off from 3 to 6 hours, and can be affected by food, stress, how much sleep you had, etc. By keeping a journal and recording the odd or new experiences will help you and your doctor time things better. My sister takes her second dose more about noon, maybe you're waiting too long but check with doc if he told you different. I can take an Adderall at 7 pm and be in bed by 10. My sister needs a sleep aid or is up all night. We're all different ;).

Talk to your doctor about how the xanax. Again, ONLY MY OPINION/HYPOTHESIS, but maybe your ADHD is causing your anxiety and by treating the ADHD with Adderall you're treating your anxiety, so by taking xanax which your brain didn't need caused you fatigue.

Despite the glitches, it sounds like you're on the right path.

SL

EYEFORGOT
11-01-06, 01:47 PM

That's great. We have a journaling section if you are interested. You can post all you want and no responses are allowed. OR you can do it as solarlife has done and keep a thread going where you can get feedback. I assume you mean your journal is private but if you ever want a public one there's the info.

PinkPanther_04
11-01-06, 02:18 PM
I've noticed the same thing a couple of times. Once was on a weekend when I wasn't taking it at all, and the other time I really remember was when I took my morning dose late and couldn't take an afternoon dose because I was teaching a class when I needed to take it. Both times I was noticeably cranky (sort of like I had been before Adderall, but more so). There were probably other factors involved, and two instances don't exactly lead to any real conclusions, but it's something I've been watching for at other times.

It's like when you eat a candy bar and your blood sugar goes way up but then it drops down to a lower level than it was before the candy bar. I don't know if that's actually what's happening on a physiological level with the Adderall, but that's what it seems like. I also remember from being a teenager that amphetamines tended to make you feel really down and cranky the next day, so there does seem to be a pattern. But it seems like that would be a factor that could easily lead to dependency, so you may want to keep your doc updated on it.

slow
11-01-06, 05:09 PM
today has been very trying as well! i took my am dose, but it was just not "working" as well. i am in between jobs right now and am getting to the witching hour as far as what little money i have left. the good news is that i have a couple of good potentials (knock on wood). so my "work" is learning new software, job searches, making contacts, etc. it seems that since i have been on a maintanence dose, the effectiveness is quickly diminishing. a few days ago, i could attack tasks with vigor, but that drive is quickly sputtering away. the lack of effectiveness has been most prevelant the last two days.

i don't recall which post i read this on, but they had mentioned that their second dose eliminated all of the aforementioned problems. it did for me yesterday (including the crankiness), but seems to be less effective today as i am tired. this is one reason i can't imagine the "holiday" being a good thing. ugh! CONFUSED! :confused: sorry, i digress ...

pink panther: this is my first venture into any type of stimulant (never tried it in high school or college). i HATE the way caffeine makes me feel, but the adderall is totally different (i told the doc about the caffeine, hence my trepidation to start adderall). so to your point, i have been contemplating the dependancy issue since my productivity increased 10 fold.

i hate to think that some med is doing this and not me, but it is working. so, does it or will it become a dependancy? :confused: how long do people stay on these types of meds?

when does one know what the right doseage is? daven had mentioned that it should just "nudge" him along. i was getting the "nudge" until recently. the "nudge" has turned into ... ummm ... well, not much.

i would like to add that daven said something very profund about the use of adderall in my other thread:
"1. Many people think (as I did) that the overstimulated happy kind of feelings you first get on the drug are how the drug is ment to act. That feeling is what allot of people chase either for recreational uses or because of missinformation. You need to stay on the same dosage for at least a week or two to know what its really doing to you. Sometimes longer."

i am confident that i am not chasing the "happy"! :D as stated, i am just starting to "lolly gag" or "drag my feet" or not stay focused on the task at hand. as well, the effectiveness really wears off fast. the crankiness shows up when the am dose begins to wear off. and to address solar, i do want to take my afternoon dose sooner, but that means another short period of efficacy. i don't want to come home from work and just be drained. i'll need to discuss this with the doc.

i also only took 1/2 of xanax yesterday for my am dose to see if i needed it. but, i found i was a bit antsy. maybe i will reduce the afternoon dose to 1/2.

sorry if this is so scattered. :o but thank you all for taking the time to read and write!

slow

Mozi
11-01-06, 05:26 PM
I found Daven's message profound and important to keep in mind. It has helped me to be patient and remember this (ADHD) has been a long term problem for me, and I can't expect the solution to be immediate!

PinkPanther_04
11-01-06, 05:30 PM
pink panther: this is my first venture into any type of stimulant (never tried it in high school or college). i HATE the way caffeine makes me feel, but the adderall is totally different (i told the doc about the caffeine, hence my trepidation to start adderall). so to your point, i have been contemplating the dependancy issue since my productivity increased 10 fold.

i hate to think that some med is doing this and not me, but it is working. so, does it or will it become a dependancy? :confused: how long do people stay on these types of meds?It's more the rebound that I'd worry about as far as dependency goes (rebound is the down feeling after the effect wears off). A lot of times when people become dependent on something it's because they're trying to get rid of the down feeling, even more so than they're trying to get the up feeling. It seems to be that once ADDers get on an appropriate medication they're less likely to become dependent on any substance, including their medication. But I feel like it's always something to watch for, and since I've had some dependency problems with recreational drugs I make sure I check myself often about how I'm viewing the Adderall. If you've never dealt with dependency before it may be even more important to keep an eye on yourself, since you may not know how you respond to potentially addictive substances.

If the medication is doing its job, it is you that's doing the work. Just like a nearsighted person is the one reading after they get glasses. The glasses aren't reading, they're just a tool that helps the person read. Your stress levels right now, or some other factor, may be reducing the effectiveness of the Adderall for you. Make sure you're eating well and getting plenty of sleep and exercise to make sure your body is functioning well and to eliminate those factors as possible causes of the inconsistent med performance.

slow
11-01-06, 06:16 PM
hey pink!
thanks so much for the last paragraph! it's a GREAT affirmation! because i have read so many bad things, i was getting worried! your perspective has been a great boost! :D :D

eating: no problem! :D i workout at least 3x a week, with some additional short workouts. i do not miss meals!

sleep: it kept me up about an hour later 2x - 3x. outside of that, it's been fine!

exercise: covered already ...

one thing that hit me when i was walking the dogs was that i have been staying on the computer for hours (work, email, a little goofing off, work). basically, when i get off the computer, it's too go to bed or eat dinner. i think i have just been working my brain out too hard. thoughts? plus, when i stress, i stress!

i wasn't too clear on the rebound thing, but i will keep an eye out doseage.

mozi - daven's thoughts were great for me too!

thanks,
slow

VisualImagery
11-01-06, 07:08 PM
I don't do holidays! :) Why? Because it takes my body too long to adjust to being back on the medication. That means I am not functioning well on Mondays. I found this out because I often stay up late on weekends and get off my dosage schedule. Even a reduced dosage has a negative affect on my weekend mood and performance. This carries over into Monday even when I am back on my med schedule.

I learned the hard way to at least wake up and take my meds and then go back to sleep! It makes a huge difference in my mood! I get my 8 hours, but staying on my dosing schedule is a priority for me-even if I stay up late! I find it easy to forget to take them on the weekends too, so my PDA alarm goes off to remind me!

When I asked each of the doctors I have had, each said not to skip a day of meds. Their reasoning was/is that I need them to help me function well all the time-so why should I have to struggle on weekends!

PinkPanther is on target, I teach too and some days were so crazy I easily forget to take my afternoon dose of meds-I can always tell! My focus is gone, I am stressed by the normal sound levels in class, lose everything I need, and get cranky with the kids! I hate the last part most of all! It has taken time, but I am now used to taking them and rarely forget because my performance is so negatively impacted if I miss a dose!

I keep my PM doses in my purse in little plastic medicine zip bags from the pharmacy-one bag for each workday! (inside a make-up bag) I don't take the prescription bottles for safety reasons-possible theft of a Schedule II drug and the repercussions I might face! If I forget a dose, I take it during class-if someone asks what I am taking I just say my allergy pills or Aleve that I forgot to take at lunch. (I have allergies and fibro so this is not a lie! Plus I am allergic to cognitive dysfunction!) It is easy to get the kids working and grab my water bottle and take the pills quickly-hardly anyone notices!

If you have any other questions, please ask! Holidays-never! I function much better with my medications!

RADD

Nocturnal
11-02-06, 06:23 AM
I often get irritable in the evenings when the medication has worn off. It's like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Two completely different people when I'm on and off the medication. Well it isn't that bad but I don't nearly get as easily irritated than when I have taken Adderall at 6:30AM and am up until 10-12AM the same/next day.

Momofadder
11-02-06, 09:20 AM
I notice the same thing with my son. I never know if it is the fact that he is 14 or if it is the "come down" from his adderal.

Momofadder

slow
11-02-06, 10:03 AM
this reinforces what i have read and what i had noticed recently. i am not usually cranky or pissy, but i am more short tempered and/or anxious when meds wear off.

this board is a godsend! this is all new to me, so thanks to everyone! :D

DaVis
11-16-06, 10:10 PM
I see many people (and the Shire literature) who say that they are fine if they maintain a constant dose and schedule, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Is it possible that some of us develop "tolerance" and others don't, even with constant dose/schedule?