View Full Version : Offered Job/Didn't Receive Offer Letter

pittguy578
11-01-06, 07:46 PM
I received a job offer last week. I was told offer letter would be sent out last Thursday. The job is in my local town. I should have received it by now.
I don't think I am going to call them on it. I think it's messed up that a company doesn't send you an offer letter after telling you they were going to send you one. It's like welcome to the company, we screwed up already
I currently still have my current position, and will keep it. I am not sure if I want to work with this company now. I am supposed to start Monday. If they call me and ask me where I am at, I will say I never received the letter

buffalopc7
11-01-06, 07:54 PM
I received a job offer last week. I was told offer letter would be sent out last Thursday. The job is in my local town. I should have received it by now.
I don't think I am going to call them on it. I think it's messed up that a company doesn't send you an offer letter after telling you they were going to send you one. It's like welcome to the company, we screwed up already
I currently still have my current position, and will keep it. I am not sure if I want to work with this company now. I am supposed to start Monday. If they call me and ask me where I am at, I will say I never received the letter
It may simply be an honest oversight, but isn't necessarily a reason to make an assumption about their business practices based on the mistake of one employee. If you are truly interested in the position, then definitely contact them, but doing so with the belief that they are incompetent will simply burn a bridge that you may want to use later, even if you don't take this position. You deserve an answer, but it might be to your benefit to simply contact them and ask if there was an oversight, since you hadn't heard anything. That way, you will have an answer and the person answering won't be placed in a defensive position. Good luck!

*~ žEEK ~*
11-02-06, 05:11 AM
I agree with buffalopc7. Great advice! :)

I once had the same thing happen to me, but I went ahead and showed up and I'm glad that I did. It ended up being one of the best jobs I have ever had. They were really laid back and easy going which I found advantageous to my own ADD ways!

Best of luck! :)

happycat
11-02-06, 06:00 AM
Maybe the HR person was having an ADD day and just forgot to mail the letter--call them up, and just check in. I wouldn't be upset at them, just inquire about the letter as if you were expecting it.....

congrats, btw :)

UnleashTheHound
11-02-06, 10:49 AM
Or maybe they did send it, but to the wrong address.

DianeS
11-02-06, 03:20 PM
I agree with the posters who are answering you. If the company spaced out on mailing the letter, maybe you don't want to work for them. But on the other hand, LOTS of things could have happened to the letter:

It could have been forgotten by an individual employee, not the company. Or it could be sitting on the desk of an employee who is out sick and left noone to fill in.

Or it could have been dropped - literally, and be sitting under a desk or in the cleaning crew's garbage can.

Or it could have been mailed to the wrong address- the only address they have is the one you wrote down, so consider that you may have provided an incorrect or incomplete address, or that they copied it incorrectly and didn't notice.

Or the post office could have messed up. Letters DO still end up in the dead letter office, you know. Something simple like a drop of water blurring an important part of the address is enough. Or the letter getting ripped in the carrier's bag. Or stuck to another envelope and delivered to one of your neighbors who chose to throw it out rather than stick it back in the mailbox.

Lots of things could have happened other than the company blowing you off.

Effie
11-03-06, 01:00 PM
I wouldnt give up soo fast. Maybe it got lost in the mail or maybe they forgot to tell one of the secretaries to send one or maybe the secretary is soo busy she has not gotten to it yet. I would call them and ask them about it first.

slow
11-03-06, 01:44 PM
agree with above. if you're like me (anxiety, very analytical), you might be over thinking the issue. follow-up with your contact and be very professional, but excited and yet relaxed. i think you'll find it may have been a clerical or postal error. give them a ring! it's friday!