View Full Version : Sweet dreams, doc

peridot
11-04-06, 01:58 AM
A new episode in everybody's favorite soap opera/comedy/reality TV show,"And you ask me why I seem to have low self-esteem?" Today my new therapist fell asleep while I was talking to him. Several times. Actually, every time I was talking, as far as I could tell. And it's not like he's a Freudian so that I'm on a couch facing away from him and he could sleep for 50 straight minutes without my knowing (hell, he could be dead without my knowing.) No, he was sitting facing me.

It's not enough that I forget everything, trip every 5 seconds, drop things and cause other things to fall by trying to catch them, wear my clothes inside out, forget to take off price tags, drive to the wrong address because I'm on autopilot, take the wrong disc to my daughter's school as part of my volunteer work and burn the bottom out of the kettle because I forget that I'm boiling water. No, I've got to be colossally boring on top of it all. Or I've just started seeing a really lousy therapist.

In one of his conscious moments, he tells me that my assignment this week is to do things because I've decided to accept their consequences rather than because I feel guilty. Hey doc, you are telling this to a woman who is perfectly capable of this chain of thought: "Hmm, if I do this I will embarass myself and have behaved unprofessionally. On the other hand, if I do this, I will definitely have left a lasting impression on this gathering AND made a grand exit. Let's go for it."

I am proud to say that I did not leave a lasting impression on his office or make a grand exit. I smiled politely and decided silently that I would definitely be cancelling our next appointment.

It would all be rather funny, except that irrational as it may be, I feel stupid and boring. And clumsy. Ah well.

3ALLADD
11-06-06, 01:48 PM
I would give him a call if I were you, and say that you have decided to do something - and that is - to fire him - because you are ready to accept the consequences - which are to make him aware that he is a crappy therapist, and that you feel that you deserve to have someone who can stay awake!

Please, was the guy 90 years old or something? I hope you don't really think it"s you...I'm sure you're not boring...Hang in there, and I hope you find a better therapist soon, but I wouldn't waste my time on this guy.

FrazzleDazzle
11-06-06, 02:35 PM
I have to almost giggle, because that reminds me of a piano teacher my folks used to make me go to, and he fell asleep everytime I played through my weekly lesson. I was too unnassertive to do anything but just sit there and wait till he woke up. It was awful. I cannot imagine what you must have felt in there with him asleep.

His problemo, NOT YOURS! Get any $$ back too, because you can talk to the wall for nadda.

Good luck!

1Kid

peridot
11-06-06, 05:28 PM
Thank you thank you thank you for responding. Three days later, I am still angry and sad about this. I can't decide whether to go to the next appointment and ask him if he thinks he can stay awake for a few minutes or if I've bored him enough already. No, he's not 90 years old.

Thank you both; I needed someone to respond.

thewfh
11-08-06, 08:09 PM
Dang Peridot, You deserve better than that!! Be angry at him but don't be down on yourself! You're not boring, he's just an ***hole, if you get my drift. Rude and unprofessional!!! There is NO excuse. Cancel that appointment and complain. If it's a group office, inform the other Therapists of his lack of professionalism. Good luck on your hunt for a qualified therapist!! Take care....

QueensU_girl
11-13-06, 02:20 AM
Daytime sleepiness is one of the Top 5 signs of a 'sleep disorder'.

The guy has a medical problem, so...

Don't take it personally.

PeaceIn
11-18-06, 12:48 PM
Peridot, I know you are a wonderful woman with a heart full of love and concern for others. You deserve the same love and concern FROM others, especially FROM professionals (or so you thought) in the field. I was so angered by what you must have been feeling. I had a similar experience with a sleep disorder doctor who spoke to me so rudely and disrespectfully that I was in tears!!

I wrote to the medical board of my state and they sent the appropriate forms to me so that I could write a formal letter of complaint about this Dr. They deemed his behavior was "bad bedside manners" but my whole point was letting this Dr. know that his behavior was now known with the state board!! I also let my insurance company know.

About a year or so after the incident, I received a letter from this Dr's office, informing all his patients of his move to another city due to the "high cost of insurance". Whatever. I like to think I had a small part in his move?

Peridot, you deserve to be heard, with eyeballs opened and eye contact made!! Do not take this personally, the Dr. is the one with issues and should be held accountable!!

Let us know how it works out.

PeaceIn