View Full Version : My Son took his Adderall at 10pm by mistake!

Momofadder
11-07-06, 03:20 PM
Last night he was supposed to take his clonidine at bedtime. He mistakenly took 20mg of Adderal XL. I had invisioned an night of all nights but guess what? He was able to sleep! I think that is just amazing. Just wanted to let you know.

Momofadder

buffalopc7
11-07-06, 03:25 PM
Last night he was supposed to take his clonidine at bedtime. He mistakenly took 20mg of Adderal XL. I had invisioned an night of all nights but guess what? He was able to sleep! I think that is just amazing. Just wanted to let you know.

Momofadder
Very cool! It makes sense; stimulants don't make me hyper, they help me focus. Maybe he was able to focus on sleeping? I wonder, i'm not sure of his age, but would he be able to describe the quality of his sleep last night? Just wondering if he noticed any difference.

PinkPanther_04
11-07-06, 03:52 PM
My counselor said some people with ADD need to take their meds before they can sleep. I don't think I could do that with stimulants, but I'd probably get to sleep quicker if I could shut off the noise in my head.

Vickie
11-07-06, 04:01 PM
Some with ADHD can get to sleep better with the meds still on board. It "calms the noise" as my daughter says.

Scattered
11-07-06, 04:09 PM
Dr. Dodson at the ADDA conference said that you don't stop being ADD at night. He routinely prescribes a stimulent dose later in the day -- it does two things: first is helps them transition into sleep; second it lets them go through rebound asleep.

Scattered

Imnapl
11-07-06, 11:52 PM
second it lets them go through rebound asleep.More, please. Inquiring minds want to know.

Scattered
11-08-06, 01:18 AM
More, please. Inquiring minds want to know.He said that for most (not all) ADDers, the stimulent medication helps them shift into sleep mode and then instead of having to deal with rebound awake for those who found it problematic, they would be asleep and not have to deal with the irritability, hyperactivity, and other intensification of their ADD symptoms. He would always have them take a nap after taking the meds in his office, just to help them get over their fear that they couldn't sleep on stimulents! That's about all I remember. His tapes are available from ADDA on the Orlando 2006 conference -- we have a link to it under events I believe.

Scattered

jpayne1984
11-08-06, 03:45 AM
good info Scattered! I take 10mg xr daily (just started today) and It wore off in about 8 hours. Im not sure if its enough or if I should do a second dose 8 hours later.

Jay Jay
11-08-06, 10:34 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I have lived in fear of what might happen if I ever mixed my day meds up with my night meds. This is info every ADDer and parent of an ADD child should have.
Keith

LacyLew
11-08-06, 10:38 AM
I accidentally took an Adderall instead of an Ambien (sleeping pill) one night.
When I realized my mistake, I called a pharmacy and they said it would be okay to still take the Ambien.

So, I did and I slept just fine.

neverdoanything
11-08-06, 10:54 AM
Hmmm....

I may try this on a weekend or something. But I'm always super busy, so I don't know when I would find the time.

Hyperion
11-08-06, 06:12 PM
I used to take ambien for sleep. My physician advised trying Adderall instead at night, when I told him that the reason I had difficulty sleeping was because my mind was racing when I tried to go to bed and I couldn't calm down and go to sleep, and I mentioned that I regularly took naps on Adderall during the day.

The first night I tried that, it was the first night that I ever looked at the clock, decided that it was getting late, went to bed, lay down, turned out the light, and went right to sleep.

Ever since then I have used Adderall at night to sleep, in addition to my daily dose. Of course, I do this under the guidance of my physician, so I can receive help if there are problems, but for me Adderall worked better than Ambien in a head-to-head test.

lunarfrog
11-09-06, 09:24 PM
I take 5mg of Dexedrine before I go to bed. It calms down my mind, minimizes my anxiety, and helps me to sleep

Lunar...

adhdxyz
11-09-06, 09:54 PM
Several years ago when my son was around 5 (he is now 13), I took off work one day because I had a ton of errands to run.

I woke up early and started to get ready for a days worth of running. I gave my son his morning meds. When I went to tell him that it was time to go, he was out like a log.

I had mistakenly given him his nightly Clonidine instead of his Ritalin. Since he was too young to leave home alone at the time, I had to lug him around while I ran errands. Being 5 or so, he was a lot of dead weight.

Memories....:)

Bipolarruledout
11-26-06, 05:29 AM
Yes it's true that adderall can work great for sleep but I have never tried it. Dex works even better for me. I did take adderall (10mg IR) one morning and fell back asleep. I was not happy. Now coming down is another matter. Adderall can really keep me up at the end of a dose. In the long run however I personaly don't think it's good to be medicated during sleep. I believe the body and your brain need downtime. If you think you need a dose for sleep I would pick something short acting rather than the XR. But then thats just me. I also highly recomend that those on stims suplament with DLPA. It's helps your body produce dopamine that stims push into your brain.

VerySadKnicksFan
01-08-07, 03:38 PM
I find that the worst sleep I ever get is when I'm in the late stages of withdrawal - about 6-7 hours after I take my last pill of the day. The thing is, withdrawal really isn't too bad for me; the only major side effect is the inability to sleep (because of the "noise in the head" that others describe frequently). So, I generally take my last pill of the day either at noon, so it's totally out of my system by bedtime, or at 5pm, so I'm asleep before the withdrawal kicks in. It's taken me a long time to figure out a good timing scheme, and I think I've got it down now.

hoosiergirl
01-11-07, 11:18 PM
I have been able to fall asleep(taking naps) while on Adderall....it seems to make my dreams very vivid though...