View Full Version : at wits end

girlheartsboyx
11-10-06, 12:48 PM
okay i know i have ADD, i was diagnosed as a child, and took dexidrine and ritalin for many years but stopped in high school, i just sort drifted through high school doing okay. now im in college and im struggling and im to the point where im contemplating dropping out. the only classes i can sit and concentrate in are my art ones, last year my ex boyfriend who also has ADD was taking adderalll and it helped him alot and when he saw that i was struggling ghe let me try his to see if it helped and it did. and here i am struggling worse than ever before,a nd i want to go to the doctor and get on adderall, or im affraid i will never succeed. but i dont know how to go about this. I cant just call a doctor and tell him to prescribe me something. some advice would be greatly appreciated. i broke into tears today when i was asked by a close friend how school was doing, and it made me realize that i really do need help, i cant do it on my own anymore.

happycat
11-10-06, 04:12 PM
Do you have health insurrance? Go to your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you've told us. You've already been diagnosed, so restarting a med program shouldn't be that difficult. If you don't have a doctor, go the the on-campus docs andget their advice.

Good luck!!!! I hope you get your meds soon :) Also, it may help to take classes that you actually enjoy :)

PinkPanther_04
11-10-06, 04:56 PM
Make an appointment with a psychiatrist at your university's counseling center. Your health fees should cover the costs - that's what you pay them for.

SolarLife
11-10-06, 06:40 PM
I was sort of in your shoes a few months and finally went to a psychiatrist and told him I wanted to try Adderall. My sister was having success on it.

I sense you struggle to try to focus in the first step. A avoided treatment because I didn't know where to start, what to say, I worried that the doctor would say no, etc. That's fairly typical ADD procrastination/anxiety.

The very anxiety/obsession on seeking/wanting treatment is the brain's way of stumulating itself. It (your brain) doesn't care that you're unhappy, only that it is stimulated.

Get help, ask a friend to assist you, take to your school's medical advisor....

Good luck,

SL :)