View Full Version : Coaches having ADD / ADHD

Tara
11-12-06, 02:28 PM
And I do work with concrete models (multimodal usually) and will do so if I become a certified ADHD coach. I understand your concerns that having a coach/therapist who has the same disorder may not be a significant advantage. After all, the individual who would go for help would be going to address their problems, not mine. That was not my intent, however. In following the guidelines of my profession, my interjection of my own diagnoses, etc. are at my descretion, but to continually refer to them and utilize them in treatment is in direct conflict with the purpose of therapy. To do so would constitute a situation of countertransference at the very least. In other words, that would be using the client to work through MY issues and ignore theirs. I should clarify; what I meant was that I felt that the coach/therapist/etc. who has ADD/ADHD would (ideally) have the understanding of the client with ADD/ADHD, in terms of realizing the unique combination of characteristics that make us who we are. Realizing that the client may have a higher potential for procrastination or may not have enough insight to begin the core work would be an advantage to the professional who has themselves, been in a similar situation. That awareness would also provide foresight to the professional and may be an advantage in predicting potential behaviors that the ADD/ADHD client may resort to that may stall their progress. In addition, I believe the enthusiasm, the energy of a professional with ADD/ADHD is a great source of motivation for a client. There is something to be said for having a source of optimism in the face of fear. Great points, thank you for sharing!

I don't think there's is a right or wrong to whether having ADD makes somebody a better or worse ADD Coach. In talking with people looking for ADD Coaches some prefer people with ADD and some prefer people who don't have ADD.

I have seen the same type of discussion when it comes to drug and alchohol counseling. I am have a friend is who is currently doing her internship in a rehab program and she says there is a lot of discussion about rehab counselors being in recovery. This person doesn't have a substance abuse problem and lot of people in the program tell her they don't think people who haven't experienced addiction can really help them.

I know a lot of ADD Coaches. Each and every one of them has totally different style of coaching. I know some who do have ADD and some who don't. I don't think I would say those with ADD are better or worse than those with out.

stargirl101
11-21-06, 10:26 PM
I think that it is helpful to find a conselour who has been through the same struggles as you. Thus, I think having a coach/therepist with ADD can be very motivating and a great way to feel understood if you are currently feeling misunderstood. For excample, I previously went to a therepist who did not have ADD, and she seemed to stray easily from things that were really bugging me, such as my lack of focus/lack of energy. She came across to me as quite oblivious to my problems, and seemed to believe that because I was well put together, provided fairly clear answers to her questions, and did well in school that ADD did not affect me. I think that if she would have had ADD she would have tried to focus more on what my real issues were, she would have been able to empathize with me, rather than down play my problems.

Overall, if your'e seeking a counselor/ coach, I think it is very helpful to find someone who you can relate to, if this means searching for someone who has been through what you have been through, then yes I defiantely would commend your efforts.
Don't give up untill you find the perfect person!