View Full Version : HOw can this be?

ADHDSupport
11-14-06, 10:44 AM
I have a question here. My son is 7 going on 8 soon and is adhd unmedicated (bad reaction to meds). He has the Snesory Integration Evaluations at school and appears to them to have no sensory issues whatsoever.
I do not understand how that can be true, here are a few of his quirks, or traits, to me this seems to be a sensory issue, but what do I know?
-Cant have tags in the shirt
-Has to wear socks of a certain height up the ankle
-Has a quilt that was made for him at birth that he still uses each night and caries with him to the couch for saturday morn cartoons, that he calls the quilt "with the different feels", I dont feel any different feels on it, it seems to be made for the same material, although they are different patterns quilt squares, and he rubs it between two fingers regularly
-He also rubs his jacket between two fingers when walking to or from school, sitting with me on the couch reading, he will reach out to rub something I am wearing
-He loves soft stuff, stuffed animals, soft blankets, fleece pjs, that sort of textile stuff
-When requesting a snack he will often say "can I have somthing crunchy" or "can I have something non-crunchy", he wont ask for a sepcific food, but he will specify its texture
-He cant sit in the class to do his work because and I quote "the sound of other kids pencils scratching on their paper" distracts him to the point he cant do work

This is just an off the top of my head list, what does it seem like, just sensitive or particular in his preferences, or a sensory thing?
-A

Aizlyne
11-14-06, 11:32 AM
It certainly sounds like he has sensory issues. A lot of that stuff applies to me as well as my younger brother. He's 6 and and has Aspergers. I have ADD.

You could try writing to the school about the things you are seeing at home, if you havn't already. Especially about the things that effect his performance in class (The pencil sounds).

Hope this helps!
~Aiz

Swede63
11-14-06, 11:39 AM
It sounds like he does have sensory issues those are classic examples. My son who is 11 now has had those same kinds of quirky little habits with materials, clothing , and he is also sensitive to noises and smells. It does seem to have changed in someways. He is no longer as sensitive to the feeling of socks tags and seams as much as he used to be. On the other hand though I have learned to look for very soft shirts, seamless, no cuffs. Also Once I figured out which socks he would wear I just went out and bought 15 pairs of the same ones.

When I think of the money wasted and perfectly new clothing returned or given away aarrg:faint:

My husband is the same way so I guess it might hereditary also

ADHDSupport
11-14-06, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your replies. It sure sounds to me like something I would consider sensory too, but how could he be like that but have the sensory integration evalution show no issues at all? I mention it to the school all the time but they look at the evals and shrug, giving each other looks like I am out of my mind for not seeing nothing is going on.

I have many of the same, or similar traits but when I was younger (I am 27 now) they didnt have these kinds of tests I dont think, we were just sensitive, or something, see. I guess it is hereditary, but my concern is what "it" is. If its just a personality trait uniqueness issue or if it is something to be worked out and helped so in the long run it lessens. I dont want him to have to be rubbing his quilt as a teenager or something, hehe.
-A

Aizlyne
11-14-06, 01:54 PM
Well I can tell yu from personal expierience that for the most part, the sensory issues don't go away so much as one learns to addapt to them.

When I was yonger I found brushing myhair extremely painful, even when there were no knots or tangles. I would cry and cry when my mom would brush my hair. Today? It's not so painful for me, I found a gentler brush and cut my hair shorter so there isn't as much to brush:o

I havea clothing sensitivity as well. It HAS to be soft. I just have to be selecive about the clothes I buy.

I wouldn't be concerend about the blanket situation, as long as you can negotiate with him when and where he can have it. My little brother is not allowed to bring it to school. My mom was able to get him t leave it home because she told him it might get lost. (whish isn't entirely false).

I think people learn to adaptt o sensory issues as they get older. The only way I"d be concerned is if it causes him a lot of anxiety. Then it's affecting his health.

ADHDSupport
11-14-06, 02:34 PM
Alright, so the point of a sensory eval would be to identify sensory issues then find ways to adapt life long, it isnt something like physical therapy or something that can actually lessen the severity?
I see, thanks. I have tons of those sensitivities that I have had to adapt to on my own, and they havent gone away, I just thought that was because they werent identified as a child and addressed in a therapeutic manner.

Funny about your hair, my hair/head/scalp is SO sensitive its outrageous. I would be so bothered by the slightest tug of the brush as a child. Even to this day when I go to the hairdresser (not often due to the pain, hehe) they always mention oh you must have a sensitive head and when i would ask how they knew they would say I had a very painful look on my face but I felt like I was hiding it well!
Its so sensitive its tingly alot and if its touched I get goosebumps all over.

No it doesnt cause my son anxiety per se. Now that we realize he is sensitive we approach things better, we now know if he is resisting getting dressed it isnt really that he is being fresh, we first look to see if anything about the clothes are bothering him. Things like that.

He needs back rubs alot to sort of center himself, if that makes any sense. every so often he will ask for a back rub, just a minute of it and he feels less frazzled.

Thanks for the input, its nice to hear from others.
-A

Aizlyne
11-14-06, 05:31 PM
Your post about the hair and the back rub thing also reminds me of another point....

When I go to the hair dresser I actually enjoy the washing/rinse part a lot. I like the feeling of someone running their hands through my hair...when there are no tangles of course. It's very soothing and I often wish I could pay just to have the wash and rinse! lol.
Same with the back rub thing. I'm very sensitive to being touched by other people. I dont like surprise hugs. I'm not anti social and i wasn't physically mitreated at any point in my life. I just don't like surprises that involve physical contact. BUT if I know it's coming I enjoy it.

So your son's sensitivity could also be related to how much warning he has in advance.

speedo
11-14-06, 07:01 PM
I think it i spossible to be very sensitive and not have a sensory integration disorder. Some people are just sensitive and it is as simple as that.

If he has sensory issues that are causing problems for him and are interfering with his everyday life functioning in any way, then you ought to rightly call it a sensory "problem".

Does he overload in high stimulus environments ? Does he cry, tantrum, rock, flap, or do some other self stimulating behavior when confronted with a big sensory load?

ME :D

ADHDSupport
11-14-06, 07:22 PM
Speedo,
No he doesn't do any of those self soothing tecniques you mentioned, but in school he does not at all participate in the classroom activities, and is completely unable to even BE in the classroom when its time to do work because he simply cannot cope with the external distractions. The sound of other childrens pencils on their paper, the kids saying when they are done, all the visuals on the wall (there are SO many in the classroom I cannot even stay focused when I am in there) are so distracting to him and bothersome that he does his work in a conference room with an aide. I attributed it to his unmedicated ADHD being why he cant pay attn and focus on work and why these things distract him.

I was just thinking to myself a few minutes ago about this topic and figured it only becomes a "disorder" if it interferes in his life. Having the distractions be so problematic that he is removed from the classroom in order to complete anything at all to the point we are now going to start homeschooling him after Thanksgiving just to make sure he is getting an education, that seems like it intereferes!!
But, is it adhd or the sensory stuff? I guess it can be both. I am so super sensitive in so many ways that it only stands to reason that he is too.

Thanks all for chatting about this, I guess if there is not anything to do for interventions to help it go away, then there is no point in knowing if its a disorder or just sensitive.

-A

speedo
11-14-06, 08:02 PM
It could be the ADHD that is the dominant problem. Lots of people who have ADHD are hypersensitive. I'd not rule out anything just yet.

Some of us (about 20%) have sensory issues severe enough to cause problems, but most people who have adhd do not.

If he has not seen a doctor for potential ADHD/sensory problems, you should do so as soon as is practical for you.

At this stage you may wish to consider having a full neuropsychological evaluation done.

The schools can be helpful, but I'm a little nervous about the idea of letting the school diagnose a child because they have funding priorities which may or may not align with the best possible care for a child. Use them as a resource, but if you can afford it you might consider having your own psychologist/psychiatrist have the final say about your child's condition.

ME :D

dormammau2008
11-14-06, 08:40 PM
yes i think its sensory integration disorder. as well dont go on what they say go on what your gut says dorm

ADHDSupport
11-15-06, 09:53 PM
HI Speedo,
Yes, he has had a full neuropsych eval one year ago by a private doctor, not the school. He has also been formally diagnosed with ADHD slightly over a year ago. I know he has that, its just that I wonder what sensory issues are just him being a sensitive person (like I very much so am) or if its more than that, into sensory integration 'disorder', see.

I am adhd and extremely sensitive, I don't know if the adhd causes my sensitivities or if I would still be sensitive, even without the adhd. ( I have known about my extreme sensitivities long before I knew about adhd).

Thanks again for input.
-A

speedo
11-15-06, 10:19 PM
I'm the same way. I think part of it is just the neurology of having adhd. I think part of it is just exacerbated by anxiety.

Me :D

Crazygirl79
11-17-06, 03:38 AM
It sounds to me like he possibly has SPD/SID and maybe you should seek a 2nd opinion?!

Desert Dweller
01-26-07, 07:29 PM
Some people have to have the tags cut out or a certin type of sock but may not have a SI disorder.

I think that being ADHD can lead to being what people refer to as being extra senstive and not nesacarly have a SI disorder. Just for the simple fact of being distracted by the irratation. Like a clock ticking in the back ground. I can't not focus on the no matter how hard I try. Does that make sense???