View Full Version : 10mg and 15mg - what's the difference?

livo
11-15-06, 02:17 PM
Hey!

My doctor perscribed 3 meds for me - Dexedrine 5mg, Adderall XR 10mg and Adderall XR 15mg. He just wanted to give me some options. I've been taking dexedrine which is very beneficial, but it only lasts for 4 hours. (which can be a good thing!) Adderall was perscribed to me just in case I don't want to pop a pill every 4 hours, which can be annoying.

I just can't remember what he said about the difference between 10mg and 15mg. I tried calling, but he's away for a few days. This is my first time on adderall, and I already popped a 15mg pill this morning. (It's working really well so far!)

The only 2 things that come to mind about why I should take 10mg instead of 15mg would be exercise and acting. Exercise may require taking a lower dose in some cases... Now the acting thing - I explained to my doctor that in rehearsal (to test it out) I took 1 1/2 pills of dexedrine and my listening, organization and what have you improved, but I felt my acting was worse. (I was hyped up!) I later explained that I took just 1 dex pill on a later date when I was running lines with the cast, and I felt much better. (If I'm actually performing, I'm all ADHD-ME which works best!)

So, I THINK my doctor means for me to take 10mg on a day when I'd be acting and 15mg for plain :faint: work:faint: days, because acting increases levels of adrenaline and therefore, I could get away with a lower dose.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

ADD-I_Dad
11-15-06, 02:37 PM
These combinations could allow you to titrate up at 5mg increments if needed. :eyebrow:

Are both the 10 and 15mg Adderall XR or IR?

special
11-16-06, 03:24 AM
Yeah, although the doc would be the best person to discuss this with, just try a couple of days on each one and note the differences. Then just pick out which ones work best for you on which days.

netsavy006
11-16-06, 10:58 AM
I think you have a pretty good observation as to why your dr. gave you 2 different doses. I think it may be for days that you may need the extra 5mg or just need your adderall to last longer and be a little more effective. Make sure to check with your doctor though...

livo
11-18-06, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the input!
And I will definately get in touch with my doctor.
I'm also wondering, has anyone experienced a feeling of reeeaally bad depression after their adderall had worn off? (specifically 15mg)

Matt S.
11-20-06, 01:21 PM
adderall is worthless to most people who take dexedrine which is why there is an issue

melv
11-20-06, 01:48 PM
adderall is worthless to most people who take dexedrine which is why there is an issue
why?

also - why would u need to take less if u exercise? is it dangerous to exercise if you take adderall????

Matt S.
11-21-06, 02:05 PM
I stated "most people" and that is because dexedrine is the single salt dextroamphetamine and is considerably the more "stimulating" of the 4 salts... but I have heard that some do better on Adderall and others dont notice the difference. I am a dexedrine person myself and was on 120 mg of adderall per day before going back to dex.

Bipolarruledout
11-24-06, 07:36 AM
On paper Dex should be better in some ways. BUT It should also be noted that only the levo isomer of adderall has very low phycoactive activity... Concidering this it should still be about 75% as effective as dex rather than 50% or 25% as some suggest. Personaly dex makes me a little too tired and I think I need the physical stimulation of the levo amphetamine to take the edge off. Adderall also lasts longer with smoother plasma concentrations even with the instant release tabs. This means more concistant results unless you want to dose dex every 2-3 hours at a lower dose up to 5 times a day.

Since you have all three you might try taking the dex as part of your last dose in the day. It may help with the adderall come down and lessen the side effects.