View Full Version : litter box

EYEFORGOT
11-15-06, 07:48 PM
My inlaws had a great idea for a kitty litter box, it keeps things much more contained than even the ones with lids.

They took a rubber maid container, with the lid on, and cut a hole in the top for their cat to enter and exit from. It cuts down on the smell and the trail of dirty litter.

Imnapl
11-15-06, 07:55 PM
A large boot "tray" under a lidded litter box really helps, too.

PinkPanther_04
11-19-06, 09:54 AM
I've seen one with a hole in the top at PetSmart. Seems like a good idea. I have a problem keeping my dogs out of the cat's stuff (both food and litter box), so I bought a cabinet that's high enough to put his food on and not let the dogs get to it, and then I cut a hole in the side and put his litter box in there. He goes in there with no problem.

Oh, and I found a cat litter that's really great. It's called "World's Best Cat Litter" ( :rolleyes: ), and it's made out of corn! It clumps really well, doesn't hardly track at all, and is flushable, so I never have little bags of cat poo waiting for trash day. It has kind of an interesting smell when the box needs to be cleaned, but it's not a cat pee smell, which is nice since it's out in the middle of the house in a cabinet. :D

pembroke
11-19-06, 10:43 AM
some clever ways to hide your litter box (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/htsearch/search.html?config=at&method=and&exclude=%2Fnt%2Farchives&exclude=%2Findex.php&exclude=%2Fny%2Fstores%2F&exclude=%2Fny%2Fservices%2F&exclude=%2Fphpclass%2F&words=litter+box)....

i have a conventional lidded one.... that needs replacing. maybe i'll go with the trunk (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/pet-decor-2006-entries/my-designs-dreamy-apartment-therapy-litter-solution-011118) idea....

Imnapl
11-19-06, 02:33 PM
I had no idea people were getting so creative about feline lavatories!

Tara
11-19-06, 04:00 PM
I have to have full cover on mine because my cat never actually learned to bury her stuff after using the box. Instead she digs everywhere but where she just went. It's really funny becaue her instinct to be clean is there. She spends about 5 minutes scratching at the sides and the top of the box. When we didn't have a cover she used to scratch at the walls. We used to also find stuff in there like newspaper and sometimes clothing to cover stuff up...lol

EYEFORGOT
11-19-06, 08:55 PM
some clever ways to hide your litter box (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/htsearch/search.html?config=at&method=and&exclude=%2Fnt%2Farchives&exclude=%2Findex.php&exclude=%2Fny%2Fstores%2F&exclude=%2Fny%2Fservices%2F&exclude=%2Fphpclass%2F&words=litter+box)....

i have a conventional lidded one.... that needs replacing. maybe i'll go with the trunk (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/pet-decor-2006-entries/my-designs-dreamy-apartment-therapy-litter-solution-011118) idea....Darlin', that trunk is over $200!!!! :eek: :faint:

I love cats but...I'd rather have to clean.

I don't know...the Rubbermaid looks like all other storage stuff, obviously, and costs about $8 for a big one. Hey, whatever works in your place.

I didn't look at the price of the potted plant idea...that was clever.

ETA: GAH! over $150! Not that clever.

livinginchaos
11-19-06, 11:02 PM
i love the idea of a storage box! I need to get my cats a new litter box, I think I'll give that a whirl - see if they like it.

QueensU_girl
11-19-06, 11:12 PM
I have a stray cat who turned out to be pregnant. She has had 4 kittens.

They are 5 weeks old now.

Trying to litter train them has been laughable so far. They are trying to eat the litter. Apparently that is a no-no, so they are being paper trained in a very low sided tray right now.

pembroke
11-19-06, 11:14 PM
Darlin', that trunk is over $200!!!! :eek: :faint:

I love cats but...I'd rather have to clean.

I don't know...the Rubbermaid looks like all other storage stuff, obviously, and costs about $8 for a big one. Hey, whatever works in your place.

I didn't look at the price of the potted plant idea...that was clever.

ETA: GAH! over $150! Not that clever.i was just going to buy an old trunk at a flea market or yard sale, and cut a hole in it... maybe paint it if i have to. :o i would never buy one of those things from those people.... but i like the ideas.

meadd823
11-23-06, 04:11 AM
I have the typical domed littler box because my cats will fling litter all over what ever room the box is in. I keep their litter box in the bath room. . . the living room dining room seem like not such a good idea.

To prevent them from flinging litter all over the bathroom floor I face the opening toward the wall I have it about 10 inches from the wall so they can get in and out. I have one of those welcome mats in front of it. The welcome mat has the bristly strands that seem to remove the litter off their feet so they do not track it every where. Sense the opening is facing the wall the flung litter bounces off the wall and lands on the welcome mat right out side their opening. . . I rent so I have an old towel that doesn't clash with my decor or look too tacky thumb tacked to it so the littler doesn't mess up the walls. . . the welcome mat can be shaken to remove litter and sprayed off with water hose when dirty. . . wall rag rarely becomes dirty but if it does it can be thrown away or washed which ever. . . because the opening faces the wall it cuts down on the number of times my grandson gets into it (cat food is another story I have to shove it behind the claw foot bath where it is out of sight. My Lady dog was taught as a small pup that the bathroom is off limits to her my grandson,isn't so well trained!

I wrap one of those 30 gallon leaf bags around the littler box before I add the litter . . . I use the draw string kind and tie it in the back of the box so I do not have to clean poop off the side of the blooming thing - I add litter then the dome snaps over the leaf bag and can be used to hold the bag snugly against the inside. . . so cats don't claw the bag up too much. . . .when I change the litter I simply invert the leaf bag around the used litter re-tie the end. . . I leave the used littler bundle in the box and carry the whole thing to the out side trash can . . . I always carry the bag of dirty litter through the house with it still inside the cat box or my chances of having it break covering carpeted floor in used litter increases drastically because my life simply works that way!!

Skully
12-02-06, 10:57 PM
I have a problem keeping my dogs out of the cat's stuff (both food and litter box), so I bought a cabinet that's high enough to put his food on and not let the dogs get to it, and then I cut a hole in the side and put his litter box in there. He goes in there with no problem.

Why in the world do dogs do that!!!! Mine are the same way. We finally had to put or cats food on top of the frig. They jump up and down from the counter.

crime_scene
12-02-06, 11:36 PM
I have a domed litterbox and recently switched to the Worlds BEst Cat Litter, which has much less smell than the clay type. I check it twice a day, before I go to work and before I got to bed, alhtough usually the second time is still empty.

My cats seem very capable of flinging litter thither and yon, so I keep my vacuum nearby and give it a quick vacuum around the area once a week or twice ift hey've been celebrating with cat confetti

livinginchaos
12-03-06, 01:45 AM
It works!!! I love it!!

EYEFORGOT
12-03-06, 02:16 AM
Yay!!!

Tara
12-10-06, 09:02 PM
Now I've seen it all http://www.citikitty.com/. For $30 I am really tempted to try it too...lol

meadd823
12-11-06, 07:04 AM
Hmmm LS drinks out of the toliet no problem. Think he will turn this habit around litterly? My chances are greater with the cat using it than with Gary learning to close the lid. . . . .