View Full Version : Music and House Cleaning?

Scuter Puter
11-15-06, 07:55 PM
Ok, someone please tell me that I am not the only one who does this.

Give me a quiet house, and everyone at home and I can't clean worth a darn. Turn on the tv, I REALLY can't clean. Turn on the computer...you might as well forget the house being cleaned for a couple of days.

But...if no one is at home, and its just me and my stereo, I can clean house for hours.

It has to be dance music, or really upbeat "make you dance around" music. My husband thinks I am odd for this.

Then again its just not cleaning either this pertains to. I have a stereo outside in my garage as well so if I need to straighten up outside I have music to get me "going" as well.

Is anyone else like this? Anything else distracts me. But as long as I have something funky playing on my stereo, I can clean. (with alot of inturruptions for playing air guitar, "shaking the booty" as my daughter calls it, and dancing like crazy)

Please tell me I am not nuts lol.

Grade A
11-15-06, 07:59 PM
Ok, someone please tell me that I am not the only one who does this.

Give me a quiet house, and everyone at home and I can't clean worth a darn. Turn on the tv, I REALLY can't clean. Turn on the computer...you might as well forget the house being cleaned for a couple of days.

But...if no one is at home, and its just me and my stereo, I can clean house for hours.

It has to be dance music, or really upbeat "make you dance around" music. My husband thinks I am odd for this.

Then again its just not cleaning either this pertains to. I have a stereo outside in my garage as well so if I need to straighten up outside I have music to get me "going" as well.

Is anyone else like this? Anything else distracts me. But as long as I have something funky playing on my stereo, I can clean. (with alot of inturruptions for playing air guitar, "shaking the booty" as my daughter calls it, and dancing like crazy)

Please tell me I am not nuts lol.
This is me to a tee!!!! I misplaced my dance cds, and haven't clean since.LMAO.:D

Ok, I have cleaned a little, but I can really go through the house when I have the dance music on. Either my i-pod or my stereo. Nobody can be home though, I can't do anything with my SO around.

So to me, its not nutty at all.

charonshanti
11-15-06, 08:20 PM

Odd? Your husband thinks this is odd?:p

Music gives my mind something to do while I'm cleaning, so I don't get distracted by something else. My sense of time is completely broken, so every time the song changes it pulls me back to the fact that time is passing. And music sets the mood, gets my mind in an active mode.

Works for me in deskwork too---but not dance music, or it pulls me out of my chair. Has to be interesting but mellow music kinda in the background....

fasttalkingmom
11-16-06, 09:51 PM
I'm the same way !!! :D

Scuter Puter
11-18-06, 11:20 AM
*grins* Yay! I am not alone lol. I need to get me some headphones so that I can be able to clean more lol.

charonshanti
11-18-06, 02:03 PM
Or... get your husband some earplugs :)

I don't use headphones, but I do keep some energetic music my husband tolerates better for when he's around. Mostly from his high school years. I know I've got it right when he occasionally sings along.

peridot
11-18-06, 02:20 PM
I think it's also very important that one have the house to oneself. I don't like doing tasks like this when others are around; then I feel self-conscious about my method (?): start one thing, leave it briefly for another, find something that's interesting and sit down to look at it, start another thing, go back to first etc. I'm sure you get the picture

Grade A
11-18-06, 09:40 PM
Its funny today I was cleaning up to holiday music on an all holiday radio station. lol.

PinkPanther_04
11-19-06, 09:44 AM
I don't think this is odd at all. I have some wireless headphones (they're actually my boyfriend's but he rarely uses them) and I wear those a lot when I'm cooking or cleaning. In fact, a couple of weeks ago their batteries were worn down and I couldn't find the charger, so instead of vacuuming like I usually do (tile and wood floors, but vacuuming is faster and more thorough), I swept so I could hear my music. :D

meadd823
11-23-06, 04:35 AM
I use the dance music thing myself it does have to be a booty shaking beat. . . I clean when Gary is not home not because I am self consciousness or nay thihng like that! Gary is more distractable than I am plus he is distracting. . . I needed him to help me move an entertainment thing from our computer room to the living room he got distracted five times . . . looking for our phone which we still haven't found despite the house is about 70% un-packed. . .we have been living here over a week we are supposed to have phone service. . . all I want him to do is pick up one end of this entertainment center and walk toward the living room and he is digging stuff out of boxes. I fininally got mad, I don't want the little stuff out of their labeled boxes until we get the shelves where we want them. . . silly me. . . I finally took all the boxes away from him and told he he couldn't dig through any more until the entertainment thing was in the living room . . . this is why I do not clean with him at home. . . . I would have to hand cuff him to some thing heavy to prevent him from dragging stuff out faster than I can pick it up and place a gag in his mouth so he wouldn't have seven zillion alternative suggestions for every task. . .not to mention the five hundred other things he would think of for me to do. . . .no thank you. . . (he is a tad ADDish to me) having him gone is the easiest and healthiest way to get any thing done! Maybe this is why we can get things done better when we are alone!

Freckleface
02-02-07, 05:49 PM
You're definitely not alone! I have to have music on to do just about anything!

I also agree about the TV and especially the computer (not getting anything done).

I came across a quote once that is so true: "A clean house is the sure sign of a broken computer". Haha! :D

allome
02-04-07, 03:20 PM
I think it's also very important that one have the house to oneself. I don't like doing tasks like this when others are around; then I feel self-conscious about my method (?): start one thing, leave it briefly for another, find something that's interesting and sit down to look at it, start another thing, go back to first etc. I'm sure you get the picture
This is ME!!! lol...other ppl in the house makes me too nervous to get anything done...scared they're gonna ask "Ummm...can i ask why you washed that first and then...etc" lol

xstarchildx
02-04-07, 03:39 PM
*grins* Yay! I am not alone lol. I need to get me some headphones so that I can be able to clean more lol.
No your not alone, i'm exactly the same!! give me an empty house and i can clean all day!! I like to clean to music it helps me to focus, that's normally when i can multi-task lol

I think it's a distraction having people in the house because you end up watching what they do!:D

mom23
02-04-07, 03:52 PM
You are not alone!

I can't clean when anyone is around...drives me batty.

But an empty house, with the stereo turned WAY up, blasting some funky, dance-beat music, and I become a whirling dervish!

I wouldn't want anywone to see me, of course: imagine a 47 year old mom of three boogeying around the kitchen, singing (at the top of my voice) old punk tunes and pogoing as she washes dishes ... NOT a pretty sight! LOL

mom23

CrAcKerKoReaN
03-09-07, 04:27 PM
I actually did this last night!!! Wife was at school and I didnt have anyhomework. The dished needed to be done. Fired up the stereo and I was off it was kind of scary really.

Lady Lark
03-09-07, 04:46 PM
I have the radio or TV on almost all day long. My mom always has the radio in the kitchen on from when she wakes up in the morning, to when she goes to bed at night. If there's not some background noise, and the house gets "too quiet" it drives me batty! The first thing I do in the morning when I get up is turn on the radio. I think my kids think I'm nuts, but I look at it like corupting another generation. :D

spacedout
03-09-07, 11:53 PM
I agree. Music gets me to clean, and helps me get up in the morning too:) Oddly, NPR or BBC news can help me get up in the morning also, but for cleaning it's only music.

Musicals and songs with accompanying motions are the best because for some reason I work better if I can continuously entertain myself by acting out the song. Seeing as I sing horribly, it's hard for me to do this around anyone else. However another individual's presence can help me. I don't know why but if someone is just sitting there talking to me or doing his/her own task, it helps me stay on my task too. Especially when it comes to cleaning the floor. For some reason I HATE cleaning the floor:(

Flutterbudget
03-11-07, 04:23 PM
I absolutely HAVE to have music to do stuff like housework. My MP3 player, or (when I can't find it, which is often) I just SING at the top of my lungs.

I'm more prone to clean when I have others home with me, though; when the husband and kids are out I usually indulge in hyperfocusing on whatever I'm obsessed with at the moment. When they are all home, I can't get a good zone out going on, so I might as well clean!

mom23
03-11-07, 08:30 PM
Me too! Exactly!

mom23

piglet
03-20-07, 01:13 PM
Okay, now let's share WHAT music we clean to.

Try Queens of the Stone Age, "Lullabyes to Paralyze", man, that album kicks butt! Also, I discovered a band at the Renaissance Festival, E Muzeki, they play gypsy/everything else meshed, sooo cool. They're terrific.

My problem is, with Mom living here, and the hosue not yet remodeled, I can't PLAY my loud music to kick my butt into cleaning mode, or Mom gets all pitiful whimpering about how loud it is, or worse, she starts trying to understand the lyrics. So I'm supposed to say "Okay, Mom this song is 'I Never Came', a bitter, haunting track in the QOTSA Lullabyes album, about the lashing out and hurtful truths that are told in the end of a dysfunctional relationship. He's reeling in pain because she's telling him she never...." yeah, I'll explain all the lyrics to Mom. I guess I need some headphones... but then, I'll not hear HER at all... I won't hear Mom at alllll.....yeah, definitely, I need headphones:D

JRJ
03-20-07, 03:44 PM
Music to clean by? You mean I'm not alone? This one really does it for me. Jean Pierre Rampall, Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano. Sunday mornings just fly by despite my least favorite chores. In a pinch or if the job goes on for long, Loggins and Mesina (Wake up Little Susy) or Henry Mancini's Greatest Hits (Baby Elephant Walk) will do as well.
Joan

ShawnB
03-26-07, 09:31 PM
Oh.. I have to have music on while I clean. It helps me focus and keep my mind off of the mundane/torturing tasks such as cleaning house or working out :D

I also can not stand to have anyone home while I clean either.. kids, husband they just make messes faster than I can clean them and they're always distracting me/getting in my way. When I finally get in the cleaning 'mode' it's all about hyperfocusing and deep cleaning. Like with anything else that I hyperfocus on I can NOT be interrupted or their life will not be happy either!

justhope
03-27-07, 08:36 PM
Yep me too! gotta have the "rock" and roll to get going! I have the 'adult alternative, or sound machine (on waves) to get my bills done! That is a chore after all! And I must have music on , again rock and roll at work..to drowned out all those people chatting around me so I can work!

And while I am here...I always have my Launchcast on!

Jett
07-21-07, 10:25 PM
I think the reason having music on helps is because it blocks out a lot of the chatter in our heads, plus keeps us from being bored.

Color Scheming
11-11-07, 07:39 AM
I am the same way i cant clean if i dont have music on. And my boyfriend is the same way as well and he doesnt have a.d.d. Also there was an article in self magazine about cleaning, and it brought up let the kids have their stereo loud for a while its worth a clean room haha. Everyone i think does this, besides your husband :) lol im jk. I personally find it wierd if you dont listen to music while cleaning. My sister does it too. Who knows.:D

Skully
11-13-07, 09:57 PM
I am the same way. I usually put my iPod on and away I go. Works great and gives you good motivation.

Skattered
12-04-07, 08:17 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

OMGosh that's me. I must have pumping 80s dance tunes or a fast trivbal beat going. Footloose is a good one too, LOL.
My new fav is the song girlfriend. If DH is working from home, I am dead weight. Nothing gets done at all. I don't even get out of my pjs.

Just turn on the tunes, gimme that energy drink and rock the dishes, its the only way to go!

Skattered
12-04-07, 08:18 PM
I think the reason having music on helps is because it blocks out a lot of the chatter in our heads, plus keeps us from being bored.that's exactly right for me.:D

lunaslobo
12-04-07, 10:02 PM
the louder the faster the better. thats the only way to clean

Aratsu
12-07-07, 09:38 PM
Hehe, Absolutely. A couple of days ago, threw on Santana's "Supernatural" cd and cleaned up my room while jamming out for the duration of the cd. When the music stopped, the cleaning ceased :/
Still gotta continue with that one hahaha.

Guest1
01-07-08, 07:14 PM
i crank music up while i clean up so is not to quite

Pugly
01-20-08, 07:58 AM
Oh yes, I like to have music on. I can do it without music, but I really have to force myself. Turn on the music, and my productivity increases.

It helps for any task I get bored of.

I think I know why to, my mind wonders from idea to idea... and when I clean everything I pick up is a distraction. With music, I focus on the rhythm or some specific part of the music... my ability to do work can be left to it's own... just doing the work. My mind is busy away concentrating on the music.

One problem though, if the music is too interesting... I have been known to drop what I'm doing and concentrate on the music. Especially if it's new music, and I really get into it... sometimes I just have to stop and feel the music.

I wish I lived in a house where I could blast music all day long...

luvmykidz
02-07-08, 04:37 PM
Okay, I do this too and I am not diagnosed (officially) with ADHD. I do see the tendencies though and my son has ADHD. I get things done a lot better if I were listening to music. People thought I was weird when I could listen to music as I did my homework when I was in high school. I got a lot done that way and it was very effective.

zoomman
02-11-08, 10:08 AM
I'll either put on techno/trance/house music and surf the driving beat around and around the rooms of the house, scooping things up here and depositing them there, or I'll put on some talk thing on NPR and watch mind-tv while my body picks things up and puts things down. Usually the former for picking up and the latter for doing dishes.

AnneM
07-24-08, 06:05 PM
Wow -- this was a major revelation for me...If I wear my Ipod I CAN CLEAN...without feeling like I'm gonna cry!! Amazing!

I think with the music I go into my own little world and then just focus on what needs to get done without fretting.

lis dexia
07-24-08, 06:06 PM
Pat Metheny - have a DVD of him live in concert and put that on to attack the dust bunnies.

sloppitty-sue
07-25-08, 09:43 PM
Yo mon, GET BUSY just shake dat bootie non-stop while da beat drop, just keep swingin' it
GET JIGGY, get crunked up perculate, anything ya want ya mon it skljfdiojsofijldsfjlksjjsjfkdlsjfljaflkajfksl;dajf ;ljf

Yo sexy ladies go far wid us, come jar wid us, to get far wid us,
slkjfsdkla;foindskla;f

OK - I don't know all the words but . . . any of those "Sean Paul & Don Corleon -- a next CHAPTA" . . . ya mon for all my girls . . . keep it, keep it, keep it SEXYyyyyyyy!!!

So bok it up ya, so wat is up ya, cuz I wonna be da one whose gonna really buk it up ya know slhdfl'jspafjj;

ANYONE DIGGIN IT?

Helllloooo???

Anyone?

No?

Just me? :o

sloppitty-sue
07-25-08, 09:52 PM
How's about:

Ladies! Can ya HANDLE THIS? I DON'T THINK THEY CAN HANDLE THIS!!??!!

I don't think you're ready for this jelly . . .
I don't think you're ready for this jelly . . .
I don't think you're ready for this . . . MY BODY's TOO BOOTYLICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Ya - I like listening to really OUTRAGEOUS songs to get the dishes done.

Sue

P.S. It's funny to me too because I'm sorta old. And I LOVE IT because it ALWAYS shocks my kids who totally FREAK when they discover not only that I KNOW those songs . . . but that I actually KNOW THE WORDS!! (Makes me feel so cool . . . . )

ADDBecky
07-29-08, 07:22 PM
that is so me....I love the loud music, me singing (not every well) and cleaning to my hearts content. Glad to know others also do the same as me.

nuthatch14
08-07-08, 12:32 AM
I can't clean without music either. I have to have rap or loud rap music on, something with a strong rhythm. Otherwise I literally can't handle it. (Of course, I also lose a lot of time because I'm changing the music or fiddling with the volume, but it's better than not getting it done at all :) )

Driver
08-07-08, 01:56 AM
I'll have background noise simply because I hate the house being quiet when I clean, but for you ADD'ers, I dare say you need the thumpy music to stimulate your understimulated brains so you can focus on the monotony of cleaning.

mariet127
08-11-08, 08:07 PM
I hate doing housework. Period. But the only way I can ever get ANYthing done around the house is to have music on. I play music when I'm in the shower, or else I just seem to forget what I'm doing. My tiny mind wanders.
When I was in school, having music in the background helped me study, too!

I'm so glad I found this board and all you people! XXXXXXOOOOOO