View Full Version : Some Books I Found

Effie
11-15-06, 10:49 PM
I was at the doctors office today and picked up a booklet on ADD to read while I was waiting. The booklet had a suggested reading section and these books were listed. I am thinking about reading one or two and thought that I would pass the names on. Please let me know if any of these are bad so I dont waste my money. Thanks. :)

Barkley RA. Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder:
A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed.
New York, NY: Guildord Press; 1998

Hallowell EM, Ratey JJ. Delivered from Distraction:
Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit
Disorder. New York, NY: Ballantine Books; 2005

Hallowell EM, Ratey JJ. Driven to Distraction:
Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder
from Childhood through Adulthood. New York, NY:
Pantheon Books; 1994

Harman PL, ed. The CHADD Information and Resource
Guide to AD/HD. Landover, MD: CHADD; 2001.

Kolberg J, Nadeau K. Add-Friendly Ways to Organize
Your Life. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge; 2002.

Murphy KR, LeVert S. Out of the Fog: Treatment
Options and Coping Strategies for Adult Attention
Deficit Disorder. New York, NY: Hyperion; 1995.

Nadeau K. Understanding Women with ADHD. Silver
Spring, MD: Advantage Books; 2002.

Nadeau KG. ADD in the Workplace: Choices, Changes,
and Challenges. London, UK: Brunner-Routledge; 1997.

Novotni M, Whiteman TA. Adult AD/HD: A Reader-
Friendly Guide to Identifying, Understanding and
Treating Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
2nd ed. Colorado Springs, CO: Pinon Press; 2003.

Novotni M, Peterson R. What Does Everybody Else Know
That I Dont? Plantation, FL: Specialty Press; 1999.

Solden S. Women with Attention Deficit Disorder:
Embracing Disorganization at Home and in the
Workplace. Grass Valley, CA: Underwood Books; 1995.

Wender PH. Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
in Children, Adolescents, and Adults. New York, NY:
Oxford University Press; 2000.

Tara
11-15-06, 11:48 PM
I found the Wender one very hard to read.

inquisitive
11-16-06, 06:58 AM
"A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment" by Barkely has now been updated, there is a 3rd edition, published this year (2006) . I found it a very infomative book. I've purchased it because I'm doing research on ADHD and it's much easier to have my own copy than reborrowing it from the library!

I picked up "Driven to Distraction" the other day ... have yet to give a proper review, but I'm enjoying the example scenarios. I myself do not have ADHD, and am interested to read about the ADHD reality from people who have ADHD, as well as research text, like that of Barkley.

charonshanti
11-16-06, 01:31 PM
Kolberg J, Nadeau K. Add-Friendly Ways to Organize
Your Life. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge; 2002.

Nadeau K. Understanding Women with ADHD. Silver
Spring, MD: Advantage Books; 2002.

Novotni M, Peterson R. What Does Everybody Else Know
That I Dont? Plantation, FL: Specialty Press; 1999.

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life is a little book with a huge impact. It's hard to get a grasp on what ADD is and how it affects us individually; reading this book is like holding a mirror up to your ADD so you can see it and its different aspects. It's filled with lots of 'aha!' moments for ADD'ers or family. Even the layout is ADD-friendly & easy to keep your eyes on. The solutions are ADD-friendly, practical, creative and inspirational--plus reading it was just plain fun. It's full of tools to use your ADD strengths to shape your life. This book was life-altering for me.

I also recently read 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD, which by comparison with the above book seemed superficial, overgeneralized, and filled with the typical time-management advice that has never worked with my ADD. Like 'Use a Planner', followed by an explanation of various kinds. The nod to ADD seemed to be the part about what to do when you lose your planner. The book also has lots of tips that if I wouldn't need if my memory worked well enough to remember the tips!!!!:faint: Well, ok, I did find a couple of useful things in here. My vote for winning tip was "dress your kids in bright colors when you go out and carry their photo in case you lose them." But "10 Simple Ways" simply didn't get to the root of ADD or offer the other tools found in ADD-friendly Ways to Organize Your Life.

Understanding Women with ADHD by Nadeau contains information that women may not be able to find elsewhere. It discusses hormone interactions with ADD, how ADD impacts women differently than men, and lots of frequently co-existing conditions. It has an extensive self-rating questionnaire that would teach most women a lot about themselves and how their ADD affects them specifically. If you get this book, read the section on fibromyalgia even if you don't have it. Be warned, this book has the tone of a textbook, down to the extensive reference list at the end of each section. But the sections are short and to the point, written to educate professionals in language non-professionals can understand. A very practical reference book about ADD itself.