View Full Version : Vegetarian

Claudia_0102
11-16-06, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone,
I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and i was just wondering if anyone has a good vegetarian recipe.

Thanks

livinginchaos
11-16-06, 11:32 PM
I have a vegetarian cookbook. . . . are you looking for anything in particular?

(pasta, soup, salads . .etc)

livinginchaos
11-16-06, 11:42 PM
Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

2 T margarine
2 Medium stalks celery, sliced (1 c)
1 medium carrot, coarsely shredded (1/2 c)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c)
1 small bell pepper, chopped (1/2 c)
3 t all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 c cooked wild rice
1/2 c water
1 can (14 1/2 oz) ready to serve vegetable broth
1 c Half and Half
1/3 c slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped

1. melt margarine in 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat. cook celery, carrot, onion & bell pepper in margarine, stir occasionally, until celery is tender

2. stir in flour, salt & pepper. stir in wild rice, water & broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes, stir occasionally.

3. stir in remaining ingredients. Heat until just hot.

livinginchaos
11-16-06, 11:47 PM
3 Bean Enchilada Chili

1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 c)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 c)
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15-16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (15-16 oz) dark red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce (1 1/4 c)
1 t dried oregano leaves
Broken tortilla chips (garnish)
shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)

1. Heat oil in 3 quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion & bell pepper in oil 5 minutes, stir occasionally until crisp-tender

2. stir in remaining ingredients (except tortilla chips & cheddar cheese). Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stir occasionally. garnish each bowl with tortilla chips & cheddar cheese

livinginchaos
11-17-06, 12:07 AM
Pesto Pizza

3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese
pre-made (or ready made) pizza crust (not dough)

1. Grind walnuts, basil leaves, garlic & salt(in food processor) until paste.
Add (parmesan) cheese & olive oil and mix in to paste

2. Spread mixture on a pre-made pizza crust and top with mozzarella cheese (as much or as little as you want)

3. Bake at 425 until as crispy as desired (approximately 13 minutes)

Claudia_0102
11-17-06, 02:23 AM
thanks!!! :D Not really looking for anything particular just something that tastes good.

Jesse 7.0
01-01-07, 04:16 PM
Stuffed mushrooms with spinach, feta cheese, and pine nuts

24 medium fresh mushrooms

1 10-ounce package of thawed frozen spinach

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese

3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into bits

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the mushrooms.

Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Remove the stems and discard or save for another use.

With your hands, squeeze the spinach to remove all the moisture. When dry, place in a bowl, then stir in the feta and Parmesan cheese. Set aside 24 of the pine nuts, then stir in the remainder. Stuff each mushroom with the spinach mixture. Press one pine nut into the tio of each mushroom as garnish. Press one bit of button top of mushroom

Bake 30 minutes, or until brown and juicy. Serve warm.

Serves 4-6

Jesse 7.0
01-01-07, 04:18 PM
3 Bean Enchilada Chili

1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 c)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 c)
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15-16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (15-16 oz) dark red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce (1 1/4 c)
1 t dried oregano leaves
Broken tortilla chips (garnish)
shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)

1. Heat oil in 3 quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion & bell pepper in oil 5 minutes, stir occasionally until crisp-tender

2. stir in remaining ingredients (except tortilla chips & cheddar cheese). Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stir occasionally. garnish each bowl with tortilla chips & cheddar cheeseThat sounds sooooooooo good. :D

dervish
03-26-07, 02:13 PM
I dont use recipes so bare with me here
goat cheese quiche
satueed whatever vegies you like mine ussaully consist ofwhats in the fridge but my favororite is
brocoli
onion
tomatoe
spinach
aspearagus
zuccini
make your egg milk mixture. i think that i use about 3 eggs and a 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk per pie. the imporant part is that when the veggies are done to mix about 3 or 4 oz of soft goat cheese (usaully chevrie) in with the veggies to ensure even distribution of cheese be sure to use lots of fresh herbs as well, i tend to use italian herbs but whatever you like i guess. add a thin layer of swiis on the pie crust, add veggies, a moderate amount of more swiss, the pour in the eggs until the pie crust is full. bake at about 400 or so for approx 45 min or until cooked all the way through. sprinkle a little bit of fresh basil on the top.

dervish
03-26-07, 02:16 PM
oh i forgot make sure to drain whatever water or juice is is at the bottom of your veggie pan. it will sometimes give you a soggy center if you are not careful.

QueensU_girl
03-26-07, 05:20 PM
It depends on the recipe you are looking for.

I get the Vegetarian Times magazine and there is some good stuff in there.

--------

A lot of my ability to cook veghead depends on the "cheats" that i learn.

For example, I made brownies from a Mix -- with tofu or buzzed up cannellini (white kidney beans) -- to "sub" for the eggs/oil.

I have made other Baked Goods and used buzzed up Flax Seeds to sub for the eggs, 'binder'-wise, in there.

----------

ANY SPECIAL RECIPE REQUESTS that you are Looking For?

Swede63
03-26-07, 07:48 PM
"Earth Balance" 100% Vegan "butter spread" is a fabulous substitute for butter. It's great for baking or spreading.

Carrickfergus
05-31-07, 04:10 AM
This recipe seems to me almost intuitive, but hey, it's one worth knowing!

SUPER-SIMPLE VEGGIE SOUP

Step 1: Go to your grocery store or refrigerator and grab whatever veggies you like. Seriously, anything. As in, anything. Staples when I make it are onions, mushrooms, carrots, I like zucchini in there, I LOVE adding fresh spinach, but really and truly ANYTHING you want, just shove it in.

Step 2: Chop the veggies and put them in the biggest pot you have with just about 3/4 inch of water until they soften a bit. As they cook, add veggie bullion or spices. I find "Better Than Bullion" vegetable paste to be ideally tasty (and vegan!)

Step 3: Cover veggies with water. Put the top on the pot. Cook it on low heat... indefinitely, really. This is a soup you don't have to worry about leaving to sit over a low, low flame for a couple of hours. Just let it cook until the veggies are soft, then enjoy!

This is super-healthy, super-tasty, super-easy, and it keeps for good week in the fridge.

acceptance
05-31-07, 05:48 AM
Carrickfergus- im huge on vegetarian stuff,..going back to your post..lightly stirfry the vege's first before you "soup' it,...honestly you'll taste the difference.is something my son told me~nearly a Chef~and that goes for anything you "want" to boil first.:) happy cook'n,

hope we share some great vegerz recipes.:D

Carrickfergus
05-31-07, 02:30 PM
Oh, I bet that's an excellent suggestion, yes. That's really what the little bit of water at the bottom of the pit is for first, when we soften the veggies before cooking the whole soup. My mom and I are doing weight watchers, hence the cutting out of oil. But you're absolutely right -- stirfrying the veggies probably makes it incredible. Especially if your recipe has bell peppers in it. ;)

acceptance
06-01-07, 08:05 AM
When i've more time on my hands,im going to put forth some wicked Vego receipes....and if that suits anyone ...oh please let me know:) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :D

acceptance
06-03-07, 10:27 PM
Stuffed Capsicums (depending on how many people,this one will quite comfortably feed 3-4)

6 medium sized caps (red,yellow and green.remove seeds,make a small hole from the core end)
2 cups cooked rice
4 carrots...............chopped
spinach................."
beans .................handful,small slices
broccili................."
onion................... 1 chopped small
3 cloves garlic......."
salt,and cracked pepper
2 eggs
paprika medium to hot(spice)
1 cup cooked lentils
Tomato puree and chicken stock...1litre(about or more)and 1 large spoon of olive oil.
Mix all the ingredients from 2 -12.
fill the caps,any mixture left,roll in balls.
in a large cooking pot,put oil,heat and put the stuffed caps in ,turning to give most sides a direct heat (this brings out the flavour)
At this stage,if you like hot spicey foods...sliced chilli and more cracked pepper in the pot.Add the ball mixture too.
once all sides are done,only a few minutes,add tomato puree and chicken stock,
turn the heat on low,...gently simmer for 30 minutes,
check regually,or set the timer for every 10 mins,or less is better,so it dosent stick.
the vege balls will cook down giving the "sauce"a more thickened base.
Dont forget to stir when you check it.

Serve with mash potatoes or pasta or my favourite..crusty wholemeal bread.

This meal can be varied,depending on what veges you want to use.

Its quick,tasty, colourful and very filling....;)

Hope you like it:p

QueensU_girl
06-04-07, 01:57 AM
Here are some VEG recipe sites.

www.ivu.org (http://www.ivu.org)

http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian-recipes.html

http://www.jewishveg.com/recipes.html

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/Vegetarian_Vegan_Main_DishEntree_Recipes.htm

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/

acceptance
06-04-07, 05:14 AM
Tonight i made a yummy vego meal..."PastaPlant"

1 eggplant
half an onion
3cloves garlic
hungarian paprika powder
olive oil...a dash
bunch of spinach...chop stalks finely,leaves cut seperate in strips
1 tomato
4 mushrooms
half a packet of vegetarian pasta (3 colours...)
2 teaspoons of chiken stock powder............and..............
your own white ricotta cheese sause( ask me for recipe if you need it)

Thickly slice your eggplant and grill it for "bout 20 mins both sides total.

while thats happening ...in a pot on the stove...use olive oil to transparent the onions and adding finely chopped stalks of spinach.

add paprika powder,stock powder,some of the garlic cruched,salt and cracked pepper(optional).add the rest of spinach..let this simmer on low heat.

back to the eggplant,take out of grill,scoop out some ,and lay next to others to be ready to put in oven,turn on oven.

On the eggplant top with cut mushrooms,tomatoes and the rest of garlic,...in the oven for 10 minutes...

now put the water on for boiling,...for vegetarian pasta.

white ricotta cheese sause can be made anytime,...normal white cheese sauce and add ricotta to blend in,,,also here chives is good or whatever your herbs are at hand....to your flavouring.

To serve...:p choose a large plate...
In the middle of the plate, pile the pasta,...top with the ricotta sauce and scoop heaps of spinach mix on top... also....

place the eggplant mountain onto it......

grated (any)cheese is another option to put on pasta

Another filling meal...and healthy,goes yummy with dill cucumbers...

Ah... i love cooking:p ...hope you try it.you can add all sorts of foods with it.