View Full Version : Minnesota Meet-Up?

IansDad
11-18-06, 10:33 AM
Hello everyone. A couple of us have asked about social gatherings or support groups in the Twin Cities area. I'd like to get a discussion going that would hopefully lead us into a (regular?) gathering of some sort. If there is already such a thing, please give us the info. If not, lets start the ball rolling here.

If I had my way, I'd like to at least start with something casual, just a way to meet, hang out with, and maybe hear the stories of other adult ADDers, without the pressure of trying to "fix" or "heal" anything.

kirc0047 suggested a sports night. That sounds pretty good to me. How about expounding a bit on your idea. How would this sports night work?

Or if anyone else has an idea for a theme that would give us an excuse to meet and socialize with folks like (or at least similar) to ourselves, please throw your idea out there.

Whaddaya think?

-A

kirc0047
11-19-06, 12:37 AM
I would entertain a day of watching football at a comfortable locale too. Maybe the playing of sports could progress from that. I'll bring the ritalin! (I should warn ya'll ahead of time though, I am from MN, but my heart belongs to the Packers.)

Anyways, watching a game is just my suggestion for an excuse to meet up and socialize. Talk some sports and some ADD. This could be a jump-off for something regular if it is enjoyable/useful/comfortable/whatever to all the ADD peeps that gather.

kirc

IansDad
11-19-06, 11:10 AM
All sounds good, except for that Packers part. :p Isn't being a Packers fan an incurable co-existing condition, treatable only by inpatient care with heavy sedation and electroshock therapy?

I agree that a football game presents us with a good jumping off point. We could then form an ecclectic group from all over the area. At the end of each of these events we would then decide where and when to meet next, otherwise it's unfortunately in our nature to let something like this fall by the wayside.

At this point, we need to recruit more folks.

So hello out there in Minnesota, anyone else wanna join us for a social gathering of similarly amazing minds? Please chime in if you are interested or have any suggestions!

kirc0047
11-19-06, 02:40 PM
I double-dog-dare everyone in MN to rally together!

livinginchaos
11-19-06, 11:05 PM
LOL - sounds interesting! (not too sure about the sports thing, though . . unless it's the Wild)

Courtney

IansDad
11-20-06, 01:26 AM
For myself, it's more about creating a local social circle within this community. It can be any excuse to get together. Heck, pick a random day and let's start talking about where.

Anyone else have any interest?

MonkeyK
11-27-06, 10:35 PM
I do. Plus I know nothing about sports. I know a bit about cooking but that is not an activity for a distractable mind in a social setting (things burn).
Wine consumption is good; plus it has the added advantage of reducing social awkwardness.

IansDad
11-28-06, 01:06 AM
Wine is good. Yes. Wine is very good.

So let's see, we have Kirc, Courtney, MonkeyK, and myself (Alex) so far.

Anyone else? minn306 are you a Minnesotan?

minn306
11-28-06, 09:31 AM
Yes I am in Minnesota but right now my schedule does not allow me to have a whole lot of free time. Please go ahead with your plans for getting together and just let me know what you all come up with. I will try my best to make it

Thanks alot

IansDad
11-29-06, 12:33 AM
That's cool. Thanks for replying.

Everyone, no hurry. I know the holidays are very hectic, especially for the neurally overactive. So let's try and plan for something maybe in the latter part of January, after all the festivities are over. We can just keep brainstorming and hopefully more will join by then.

Let's start with location. Here's what we know so far. We have one in Maplewood, another in Lakeville, and myself if Otsego. Which makes Minneapolis sort of central. How about a dinner someplace cheap and casual? That way, at least for the first time we all meet, there isn't any pressure on anyone to try and host at their home.

Whaddya'll (look I made up a word :rolleyes: ) think?

kirc0047
11-29-06, 02:33 AM
I hate to committ to anything, but here it goes.....................wait for it.................................wait for it...........................Count me in ya'll!

Minneapolis and January are perfect. Don't know of a comfy spot though - I will ask around.

IansDad
11-30-06, 12:23 AM
I know a few. But let's take it easy on the planning just yet. For now, let's just say last weekend or second to last in January in Minneapolis. If there aren't too many details yet, then there aren't any details to change or cancel on yet (get my drift?). So your fear can be allayed for now. The only thing we are committing to is a willingness to meet and a ballpark month and city to do it.

livinginchaos
11-30-06, 01:52 AM
I'm from St Paul :)

January sounds good, just the weekend around the 4th (it's my birthday!)

Courtney

IansDad
11-30-06, 07:03 PM
Hey Courtney,

The weekend around the 4th is good or bad for you?

livinginchaos
12-01-06, 12:21 AM
LMAO!! Oops! sorry! the weekend after January 4th is BAD.

IansDad
12-01-06, 12:51 AM
Alright, good. I was thinking towards the end of the month anyway.

minn306
12-02-06, 10:54 PM
After the holidays work better for me also. I am from central minnesota but can come to the cities. Maybe I will stay with Court(hint hint court)

livinginchaos
12-03-06, 01:42 AM
LOL!!
Anytime, Rach! (YEA!! SLUMBER PARTY w/ RACH!!!)

MonkeyK
12-09-06, 04:10 PM
So far any time in January is good for me.

IansDad
12-09-06, 11:54 PM
Hey! Looks like Rach might be in after all. Awesome.

Alright Monkey et all. Lemme hear some suggestions and I'll put my thinking cap on and we'll try to get a list of possible places/dates/times together. Maybe we can still attract more folks in the meatime.

livinginchaos
12-10-06, 10:59 PM
That would be great. .. ! I need to know the date by Xmas (at the absolute latest), because I need to make sure I take off work. That said, I can do any weekend day/evening the last 2 weekends in January.

hmm . .. I like Brit's Pub, Williams . .. I'll have to think of more later!

Courtney

IansDad
12-20-06, 12:55 AM
Alright,

I'm thinking Saturday, January, 20, 2007, 8pm (so I can have an early supper with my family).

My thoughts on location. I love Brit's and Wiiliams, but for this, I was thinking more suburban. I know, most of the better gathering spots are downtown, uptown, or in St. Paul, but hear me out. Most of us are driving from at least a half hour from the cities, so logistically it would be better to have a place where parking isn't an issue. Also, suburban places won't be as noisy or crowded, making conversation between a larger group of people easier. Then, if we want to turn it into more of a partying event, we can easily load up the vehicles for a trip downtown to dance or whatever. Make sense?

How about something along the 494 corridor in Bloomington? Or maybe along 394, like Bennigans or JJ's? Else, what are you guys thinking?

MonkeyK
12-20-06, 11:54 PM
I'm fine with the Bloomington area. I don't know the places named, but I'm sure they are fine.

Some other options:
If the number of people is small, and folks are interested in a meal kind of thing, tandoor (http://www.tandoormn.com/main.html) is probably the best Indian restaurant in the Twin Cities.

In Eagan, slightly to the east is the Mediterranean Cruise Cafe (http://www.medcruisecafe.com/), a bar/restaurant with live belly dancing, but I've never been there. Just sounds like a fun place.

IansDad
12-21-06, 02:16 AM
Courtney, Rach, anyone else? I know you all needed to know the date/time so that ou could get time off, etc. Can we pencil this in?

Hey Monkey, I love Indian, good suggestion. Anyone else? I was thinking that we could keep throwing ideas out until new year's, then we'd vote. Is that an okay idea?

livinginchaos
12-21-06, 10:21 PM
I'm fine with the 20th. hmmm, Indian food isn't a favorite of mine, because it doesn't like me too much.

Being in St. Paul, it's easy for me to get to Bloomington.

kirc0047
12-22-06, 01:00 AM
Does Edina work for anyone? I was thinking Fuddruckers right off of 494 and France. It's got plenty of seating, should be quieting down at least a little by 8, and has a pretty laid back feel. I am originally from Bloomington and was having a hard time thinking of a place that wouldn't still be jam packed at 8pm on a Saturday night. It may be a couple more minutes for a drive for some (me too, I live in Apple Valley), but I thought it might be more comfy. Just an idea!

minn306
12-22-06, 09:34 AM
Oh Bummer...........sorry guys but I am not able to make that date. It is my daughter's birthday and she is having a sleep over with some of her friends

Have a great time

IansDad
12-23-06, 12:54 AM
Hey Rach,

I was hoping that we'd try to make this a regular thing. Maybe next time!

Keep the suggestions coming guys! I'm liking all the choices so far! After new year's we can put it to a vote.

livinginchaos
12-29-06, 12:51 AM
what about . ... ..

Green Mill Restaurant (http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=Ai4I_PbslqhHj55.SmG3L3aHNcIF?id=24319 118&state=MN&city=Bloomington&stx=restaurants&csz=Bloomington%2C+MN&fr=&ed=2O_UXa131Dy_93SqM5VG3pIblks7yvMTi_2oZJY4p6TlYr7 7nfP5aVTp&lcscb=UjMMuu.3OwL)
(952) 884-9898 1201 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN

Doolittle's (http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=Anu1LEo5XQtrzLg2eAllbOOHNcIF?id=16991 049&state=MN&city=Bloomington&stx=restaurants&csz=Bloomington%2C+MN&ed=2O_UXa131Dy_93SqM5VG3pIblks7yvMTi_2oZJY4p6TlYr7 7nfP5aVTp&lcscb=UjMMuu.3OwL)
(952) 944-6070 9201 E Bloomington Fwy, Bloomington, MN

Bennigan's (http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AlhpQyJZiRJ6oBbhbnGifXmHNcIF?id=24320 997&state=MN&city=Bloomington&stx=restaurants&csz=Bloomington%2C+MN&fr=&ed=2O_UXa131Dy_93SqM5VG3pIblks7yvMTi_2oZJY4p6TlYr7 7nfP5aVTp&lcscb=UjMMuu.3OwL)
(952) 881-0013 1800 American Blvd W, Bloomington, MN

TGI Friday's (http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AsM4gPmKQIUa4FJARQLOOBWHNcIF?id=24320 623&state=MN&city=Bloomington&stx=restaurants&csz=Bloomington%2C+MN&fr=&ed=2O_UXa131Dy_93SqM5VG3pIblks7yvMTi_2oZJY4p6TlYr7 7nfP5aVTp&lcscb=UjMMuu.3OwL)
(952) 854-5112 2201 Killebrew Dr, Bloomington, MN

Ruby Tuesdays
(952) 854-8282 234 N Garden, Bloomington, MN

kirc0047
12-29-06, 04:27 PM
Glad to see this looks to be panning out. Thx for the restaurant ideas livinginchaos. I am open to any venue, but for the sake of decision, I'll put one tally mark down for Friday's. And thx for keeping the ball rollin' IansDad.

IansDad
01-05-07, 03:50 AM
I've run into a scheduling SNAFU. Here's my dilemma. The 19th is my son's 1st birthday, which, when I started trying to help put this together, didn't present a problem. But now, we've had to change the party to the 20th.

Here's the choices:

As I know that the ball was already rolling for Jan 20th, I can continue to help plan the 1st get-together for that date at 8pm, and meet you all at the second one, or,

If none of you have had to take extraordinary measures to meet on the evening (time off requests, etc.) then I suggest that we change it to the 27th, same time.

Either way, we can still decide on the place by vote.

Please respond to this thread with your preferred date (20th or 27th of January) and place (please choose from the suggested establishments already mentioned in this thread). I'll tally the votes in one week's time (Friday, 12 Jan).

Thanks everyone for your interest and patience with me!

kirc0047
01-05-07, 11:57 PM
No problem at all - Jan 27 works just as well if not better for me. I'll keep my restaurant vote with TGIF's.

kirc

livinginchaos
01-06-07, 12:33 AM
the 27th is fine w/ me.

Honestly, I'm up for any of the restaurants I listed. I hate picking restaurants!!

MonkeyK
01-08-07, 11:04 PM
27th works OK for me. And I am also fine with any restaurant.

creads
01-10-07, 11:23 PM
Hi all,
I am relatively new but I would love to join this meet up. The 27th is great and any of those places mentioned in Bloomington or the Fuddrucker's off of 494 and France is fine. The only thing I would suggest is a simple location that's right off of the freeway as I have no sense of direction and tend to get lost very easily.

I look forward to meeting you all.

livinginchaos
01-15-07, 11:42 PM
I decided to put in my .02 for the restaurant!!

I'm up for one of the following . ..

Doolittles
TGI Fridays
Ruby Tuesdays

(Creads - -so glad you can make it!!)

livinginchaos
01-20-07, 06:15 PM
all righty . .

how 'bout we set this thing up?!

How will know each other at the chosen restaurant?

Which restaurant?

MonkeyK
01-24-07, 11:31 PM
Which restaurant? I'm fine with any, but will vote for Doolittle's since I have never eaten there. (and because it appears to be the smallest chain of the bunch)

How to recognize each other?
We could wear something specific, perhaps a flower or a name tag
We could send each other pictures, but I find it hard to link a photo of someone that I don't know to the person.
Or we could ask the host/hostess to direct those who ask to the ADHD table.

And another question: when?

creads
01-25-07, 06:52 AM
We could wear something specific, perhaps a flower or a name tag
We could send each other pictures, but I find it hard to link a photo of someone that I don't know to the person.
Or we could ask the host/hostess to direct those who ask to the ADHD table.
Um, may I vote for a little more discretion? Perhaps we could pick a name like "Ian" or "Jack Handy" or even "April Donna Dolittle (sticking with the ADD theme)" and reserve a table for 8 or however many are showing up and we all ask the hostess for the table with listed under that name... Also, it's getting closer to the proposed date and a reservation for a large party on a Saturday night will be harder and harder to arrange.

Any of those restaurants are fine with me too.

creads
01-25-07, 06:22 PM
Should we just go with Friday's? We all seem to be reluctant to make a decision. I am new but I am eager to meet some fellow ADHDers and I really want this to happen. However, I don't want to step on any toes nor, in my eagerness to solidify plans, annoy anyone.

Tell you what, I am going to call TGIFriday's and make a reservation for 7 people at 8:00pm under the name Addie Douglass. (Initials AD ;-)). Those reservations can be canceled if something else is decided upon and at worst (I hate this idea because I work in a restaurant and I know how they feel) we can just all not show up. Here is a google map to the Friday's location. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7730%20Normandale%20Blvd%20Bloomington%2C%2 0MN%2055435&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wl)

LivinginChaos: The Doolittle's listing you posted previously is actually their corporate headquarters and the closest restaurant they have is in Eagan, which is why I went with TGI's (Please, if this is not okay then tell me. I'll be willing to go to any of these places, even Eagan, and at whatever time.) I've taken Saturday night off of work to meet with y'all so I hope that we can arrange it. If not, that's okay too, no pressure. I am sure I can find something else to do on a Saturday night (hubba hubba) but you guys get first dibs.

Also: I am going to PM this message to everyone that has posted here so everybody will be sure to get it. Again, I am sorry if I am stepping on toes but the uncertainty and nebulous nature of the get together is making me nervous.

livinginchaos
01-25-07, 09:44 PM
Let's do TGI Fridays. .. . good call, creads!!! Thank you for making the reservations!

I love your initiative! All the uncertainty was driving me bonkers! I almost made other plans for Saturday night.

creads
01-25-07, 09:56 PM
Whew!

Cool! I am looking forward to this! It's all set. I called and explained that not everybody in the party knows each other (slight understatement) - the hostess said that someone will direct arriving people to where other members of the party are waiting.

Do you think a reservation for 7 is enough? Are people bringing friends or other people?

Brief description of me: Curly red-brown hair worn up. Female, 28yo. I'll be wearing a purple sweater/turtleneck and jeans (I don't usually plan my outfits like this but a purple sweater is distinctive and I figured it might help for meeting purposes) and I'll be hanging out in the bar area.

I can't wait to meet everybody.

livinginchaos
01-25-07, 10:32 PM
I'm glad it's all set too, thanks again, creads!

Me: female, blondish-brownish streaked hair & shoulder length. It might be curly or straight (depends on my mood). Not sure what I'll wear. Probably jeans & a brown sweater and brown glasses.

I think it will be fun!

Courtney

MonkeyK
01-26-07, 08:29 AM
Indecision is the mother of decision. Thanks for setting things up creads; I will be there.

I am fairly average, so any stand-out people you see are unlikely to be me.
38 yr old man with short dark brown hair. Average height, average build. I'd say what I will wear, but am guaranteed to be wrong. The only thing that is certain is that I will be wearing some slightly dirty sneakers.

Mike

kirc0047
01-26-07, 06:47 PM
I will be there. I am 29 y.o. male with short brown hair, a sagitarius, like long walks along the beach, just kidding. Not sure what I'll be wearing, but see ya'll then.

Tyler

livinginchaos
01-27-07, 10:49 PM
I went to TGI Fridays . .. on Killebrew and there wasn't a reservation for Addie Douglass. Did I go to the wrong TGI Fridays?

I went to the one I listed on page 2, in Bloomington (on Killebrew)
I checked the google map link, but all I (and Rach checked for me too) got was a map of the United States.

I was really excited to meet all of you. We'll have to try it again and be more specific about the place were meeting (address . . city).

Court

creads
01-28-07, 01:16 AM
Hi Courtney,

I was really disappointed that we missed you too! Yeah, we went to the Friday's off of hwy100 near the Sheraton.
I wondered if I wasn't clear enough about that. I am so sorry!

Kirk and Monkey! It was great meeting you guys and we'll for sure have to do this again!

Courtney, you MUST come next time! ;)

livinginchaos
01-29-07, 10:21 PM
I'm glad the rest of you found your way to the 100/Sheraton TGI Fridays!

We'll have to make another date to meet up.

Courtney

minn306
01-29-07, 10:25 PM
lets make sure that even Iansdad can make it, since he is the one that originally set this whole thread up.

We just do not want to miss anybody who would want to be included

MonkeyK
01-30-07, 11:50 PM
I went and found it a very enjoyable experience. I'm definitely looking forward to the next meet-up.

Thanks to IansDad for starting to pull this together and creads for finishing pulling it together.:cool:

kirc0047
02-01-07, 11:55 PM
I found the meeting fun, interesting, and as I have already mentioned to both Creads and MonkeyK, very therapeutic. Personally, I found it more rewarding than a recent support group I attended for ADHD (and that I got charged for!).

creads
02-02-07, 01:10 AM
lets make sure that even Iansdad can make it, since he is the one that originally set this whole thread up.

We just do not want to miss anybody who would want to be includedI wrote him and we posted here. I would love for us all to meet, really! I wrote you too. Should we not meet unless everybody can make it?

Kirc: I received your email and the book title. Thanks!

Kirc and Monkey: I had a great time too and found it comforting too.

Shall we propose another date for everyone??

livinginchaos
02-02-07, 08:20 PM
It would be great if we can find a date where we all can make it, but that's not always possible. It's too bad IansDad didn't check back in.
I hope he is doing well!

Perhaps we could arrange to meet every month or 2!

Courtney

timmyo
02-15-07, 03:18 PM
Hello, everyone.

I just found this forum a couple days ago, have been pouring over it in an almost OCD frenzy, and find this whole "ultimate world online resource centre" pretty groovy (I was a 70's teenager).

I'd enjoy attending a meeting, as well. I live in Elk River, work in St. Paul.

galend
04-22-07, 04:56 AM
I'm new to this forum and would love to have another meetup. I live in Minneapolis but I can drive anywhere in the Metro.

IansDad
05-09-07, 03:44 PM
I am so glad that you guys were able to meet in January. I ran into about 1000 things that pulled me in different directions. (Including some headspace issues that made it necessary to step back from ADHD information for a while.) Creads, you are awesome for stepping in and making it happen. Otherwise, my flaky-ness and the entire group's "unique" mental attributes ...

hey is that a butterfly out the window?

Oh, where was I? Oh yeah, the whole thing might have been forgotten if not for your decision-making.

Now, has anyone given thought to the next "Addie Douglass" meeting? I would love to meet you guys and will be sure to do my darnedest to make it.

livinginchaos
05-16-07, 11:00 PM
i'd love to try it again, Alex!

When & where?

MonkeyK
05-18-07, 07:19 AM
This monkey is game. I'd be happy to meet up anywhere and nearly anytime.

IansDad
05-18-07, 11:38 PM
The next few weekends are out. How about second half of June? Either the 16th, 23rd, or 30th? (Saturdays) Anyone else know how to get a hold of the rest of the crew who were at the first one? It'd be nice if get togethers like this grew each time.

And as far as a place, I was thinking since it's summer (or will be by that time) the we could have a picnic. Perhaps at a park that has covered tables in case of rain. Potluck. Whatdya'll think?

livinginchaos
05-19-07, 10:29 AM
sounds good!!

IansDad
05-20-07, 12:16 AM
Awesome,

So far we have:

Alex
Courtney

Who else? And which day works best for you guys?

livinginchaos
05-20-07, 03:45 PM
don't forget MonkeyK

MonkeyK
05-20-07, 09:05 PM
Most any weekend works for me other than the first weekend.

I haven't been there since the light rail line, but Minnehaha Falls park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnehaha_Falls) used to be pretty nice and had a few covered areas. (The best bakery in the Twin Cities is just a few blocks away too)

IansDad
05-20-07, 10:27 PM
Who could forget monkeyK? So that's three so far.

I love Minnehaha Falls Park and yes, they have a large indoor area, too if the weather gets nasty.
So my vote will be for June 23 at Minnehaha Falls. I'd be willing to change dates though, as long as there is enough notice to ask for it off from work. I need about a week and a half.

fellow worker
05-28-07, 02:46 PM
Dunno if I'd be able to make anything like this, but thought I'd chime in- I'm in MN too! But up north in Duluth.

livinginchaos
05-28-07, 04:32 PM
i'll have to check my calendar. . . but I think it works

IansDad
05-31-07, 12:00 AM
i'll have to check my calendar. . . but I think it works
Unfortunately, it looks like I can't do anything now until after the July 4th holiday. Signed my little guy up for swimming lessons along with some other plans just about every weekend day in June and the first weekend in July.

Let's revisit in a couple of weeks.

I'm so sorry. I know it seems like it, but I'm really not THIS much of a flake. :o

livinginchaos
06-21-07, 11:06 PM
no worries, Alex! I don't think you're a flake :)

creads
07-24-07, 05:44 AM
Hey there all,

Wanna try again? Addie Douglass meet-up?

:)

MonkeyK
07-31-07, 07:05 PM
I would like to meet again. I'm interested in hearing how kirc is doing without the meds and if creads has found hers agreable.

Minnehaha Falls park still sounds nice. If we meet there, depending on the time, I'll pick up either some pasteries from A Bakers Wife or an apple pie from the nearby Lunds (all butter crust Harrelson apple pie FTW). I would also offer my back yard overlooking Lake Phalen along with some choice wine from the cellar.