View Full Version : ADHD books, need recommendations

JustNeedHelp
11-25-06, 08:01 PM
what book(s) do you recommend for ADHD? i would do research myself but i dont feel like looking through pages and pages of online text to find 1 or 2 books to read (if i ever read them)

i mainly want to know about:

alternative treatments

additional stepps to take along with medicine

the dangers of taking meds longterm (i know this is a real hot topic so... some might not recommend anythign for this)

other medical treatment for ADHD, non medicated treatments can be included i guess along with programs to take

i think i want a book made by a third party someone how researched it and made the book FOR ADHD people not ABOUT ADHD people (in other words easy to read and get the facts i dont like reading books just want facts maybe a nice story along with it thats ok)
and many books are ok this doesnt have to be all in one

fishmael
11-25-06, 08:44 PM
lol, when i read the topic title I was thinking about books with small paragraphs and big bulleted lists

charonshanti
11-25-06, 08:45 PM
My favorite so far is "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life" by Kolberg & Nadeau. No medical explanations, no bias on drug / no drug, just a quick layout of how ADD affects us and what to do about being late, being disorganized, being late on bills... this book would be valuable whether you do meds or not.

I spent the whole time I was reading the book saying "Wow! That's why I do that! That's what goes wrong!" It was really enlightening.

Easy on the eyes, fun to read, and PRACTICAL for the ADD mind. You pick the solution that fits you and go with it--from level 1 (do-it-yourself) to level 2 (involve friends and family) and level 3 (help from professional coaches or organizers.) You'll understand your ADD a lot better after reading this one, and it will probably change the way you think. It was life-altering for me.

This book fits in the "whatever you do, do this too" category.

buffalopc7
11-25-06, 11:16 PM
One of my favorite books is "Scattered", by Dr. Gabor Mate. :)

Tara
11-25-06, 11:44 PM
Delivered from Distraction talks about alternative treatments.

casper
11-26-06, 07:23 AM
Figet to Focus. I am reading it the second time through right now. It makes a lot of sense.