View Full Version : antidepressants + alcohol + marijuana....

livo
12-01-06, 01:21 AM
Well this is a loaded question... but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to take antidepressants (specifically celexa [citalopram]) and marijuana.
My doctor said a bit of alcohol is ok as long as I don't go overboard. (I'm on a low dose of celexa)

I never mixed my dexedrine with anything, but I knew when that wore off... antidepressants are a whole new world! (not aladdin style)

Thanks!!

QueensU_girl
12-08-06, 03:42 PM
I understand that marijuana increases Executive Dysfunction (many ADHDers & LDers also have this problem). http://digitalcommons.libraries.columbia.edu/dissertations/AAI3174815/

Executive Function centres of the brain are basically the brain's "manager" and "coordinator".

Probably not a good idea.

Stimulants can affect liver function, and so can alcohol.

I personally found that mixing Stimulants and Alcohol made me more drunk/impaired, so i do not do that. I find it scary to be that affected.

I wouldn't mix them, if it were me.

Too many people, however, suggest abstinence ('just say no'), w/o understanding and validating that people use/abuse substances "for a reason". (eg to reduce emotional overload/problems in emotional self-regulation due to lack of coping skills/feeling overwhelmed; boredom; depression; anxiety, etc.)

If your stress is bad and you need a way to cope, you might want to explore "mindfulness" training. It really helps!

http://www.amazingonline.info/a-15292-Mindfulness_Exercises.html

Skully
12-08-06, 06:51 PM
you don't always have to have a reason to drink or smoke marijuana. Suggesting that everyone who uses substances has emotional overload/problems in emotional self-regulation due to lack of coping skills/feeling overwhelmed; boredom; depression; anxiety, etc. is kind of judgemental don't you think?

I would simply ask your doctor. He can't turn you in or anything. Just be honest. I think a lot would depend on the amount of usage. If it is over an extended period of time it might make more of a difference. Like when the doc told you not to go overboard with drinking. And remember, everyone will react to medications differently.