View Full Version : simple headache question

jsf84
12-01-06, 09:38 PM
Alright, so i've been diagnosed with ADD, no big surprise to anyone there.

I just began medication of Adderall. My psych prescribed 5mg tablets to be taken twice a day. He prescribed a whole bunch of tabs so that i can try out some dosages. i tried a 10 and 15mg dose today 6hrs apart. I definitely noticed a wicked headache after the first dosage.

Question: will the headaches eventually subside??? A definitive answer would be nice, but just personal experiences would be extremely helpful.

Please, please answer this question, i don't want to be on a medication that constantly drills my head.

JR1973
12-01-06, 11:19 PM
I don't think anyone could give you a definite answer. My guess is Yes, the headaches should go away once your body adjusts to the meds. When I started taking a 2nd dose of 20mg XR I had some wicked headaches for about a week. Just take some Tylenol or Advil to kill the headaches.
I do think that headaches are one of the more common issues us folks experience when either starting one of these meds or increasing dosage levels.

Good Luck and hang in there.
J

QueensU_girl
12-02-06, 02:07 AM
Have you checked your blood pressure when you get these headaches?

jsf84
12-02-06, 11:12 AM
no, however, i don't suspect the high blood pressure is the culprit. Normally when BP spikes you get that throbing feeling. This was more like the entire right side of my head was just sore, all the way down to my neck. After taking some Ibuprophen it subsided nicely and didn't return after the end of my second dosage. Perhaps 15mg was just too high of a first dosage. We'll see how things go today.

thanks for the support everyone (god this forum rules)

JustNeedHelp
12-02-06, 02:29 PM
yea if you took 15 mg's as your FIRST ever dose, thats too much for some people, and if your doctor told you to take 5 first TAKE FIVE first dont up dosage without trying a lower one first, what if you were allergic (highly doubt it but could have been) or maybe you would have reacted badly with it causing some problems, not to say you were wrong 5 is a low dose but 5 is also a goo dplace to start i woul dsay take 5 for 1 week then 10 second week if 5 didnt work then 15 third week etc etc but yes the headaches should go away but be carefull ease your body into adderall it is amphetamine you know dont just take a big ammount the first time let your body adjust for best results fast let your body adjust

Skully
12-02-06, 03:18 PM
Most side effects will go away within the first two weeks. Some will take up to six months, like the loss of appeite and loss of sleep. Keep track of your blood pressure. I read somewhere and it stated that increased blood pressure was "rare" but who knows if that is true. I had my blood pressure checked in the ER last night while I was working, mine was 118/60. Still good!

jsf84
12-02-06, 04:41 PM
Hey, JNH, my doctor didn't tell me to just take 5mg. If he had said that, i would have. He said that with my body weight (160) and my level of adhd, i would need 10-15mg, 2x per day. He suggested i try both doses. I was just stupid enough to try them in the wrong order. Actually the 15mg dosage gave me a very clear state of mind, no jitters, not hyper, no feeling of narcotic influence. the only problem was appetite and a headache. Since my first dosage i've been taking 10mg 2x/day. Although it still leaves me pretty fidgety, it helps. I have no intention whatsoever of abusing the adderall, i just was unaware of the need for proper aclimation. I was incorrectly under the impression that i should simply take his reccomended dosage. Looking back to my appointment, i just misinterpreted his instructions. My fault, no harm intented to myself.

Msam, thanks a ton, that was exactly the info i was looking for. The pharmacist had mentioned the side effects, but she did not say anything about duration.

BTW, since that first headache, i have not had one since. In all fairness i do get headaches about 1/week and this may have just been coincidental. My initial blood pressure is very good, i think about 120/60 though i cant remember exactly. if another occurs i will go check it out.

Thanks a ton for the support everyone. Sorry if i'm sort of rambling, i just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I don't intend to use this drug in any remotely recreational manner. Actually aside from the adderall i don't drink, dont do drugs, i'm actually a really clean guy.