View Full Version : Any Advice?

Conscience
12-03-06, 11:41 PM
Well here's me, and my story (if you get bored reading it you can just skip all the way to the bottom for the main question) I'm a junior in highschool and all throughout it I've had friends telling me or asking me if I was ADD, and I've been thinking about it for awhile and came to the conclusion that I might, this is why; I always procrastinate homework, do all projects and papers last minute, if I have to read a boring school book it takes me forever becuase I get bored after a few pages and the last time I studied for a test the night before (meaning not in the class before the test I have to take) was the end of last year for a bio exam. I'm also easily distracted and have a short attention span. Sometimes, if my friends take to long to explain things I just stop paying attention or need to get the to repeat themselves. I also fidget in class, usually twirling the end of my eraser and thus usally drop my eraser or my pencil. Finnally, when I drive I tend to speed because I get bored just poking along and when I took the back way home one day I got so bored that I felt the urge to swearve along the road just for the hell of it.

However, I told my sister that I thought I had ADD and she just yelled at me to stop making excuses, these are her reasons that I don't have ADD; I do well on all standerdized tests, generally scoring in the high 90th percentiles, I do well in all normal tests too, for just regular classes. I can read books (if I'm interested in them) for hours on end, I generally get A's or B's in all of my classes and I take hard courses, APs and Honors. I also like to write, I like to start stories and have gotten as far as 50ish pages into them before I loose interest. She says that I'm just using the possiblity of having ADD as an excuse becuase I've been doing more poorly in classes because I don't do much homework.

Basically, what I'm asking, is is possible that I do have ADD even if I do well in classes and on tests? Is it possible that I just don't really like highschool and am not applying myself? Am I just looking for an excuse for poor grades or do I actaully have a problem? And if I do (probably) have ADD what should I do to get my sister/parents to realize this and what do we do to fix it?:confused:

Imnapl
12-03-06, 11:52 PM
Conscience, it is possible for people with ADHD to still do well in school, in fact, many do. To find out if you do have ADHD, you need to get an evaluation from someone who specializes in ADHD. Start with your family doctor to get a referral.

Conscience
12-04-06, 12:45 AM
oh, and another thing, if I do have ADD but I still get good grades is it worth the effort to do anything about it?

charonshanti
12-04-06, 01:15 AM
Yes, absolutely it's worth doing something about it. I did fantastic in school, mostly because it was structured. Got bored a lot, so I multi-tasked.

The problem was that I wasn't able to create structure in my life outside of school because of the ADD. Trouble getting to school on time, keeping a reasonable homework schedule, and finishing projects or hobbies that didn't have a deadline. I couldn't self-start at all on keeping myself organized (I'm inattentive ADD, not hyperactive.)

Translate that to college--less structure, longer project deadlines, more self-teaching, and the grades can drop really fast. Or work, if you come across as ADD and your boss takes that as not interested or not trying, or any part of your work is boring--again, not good for your job future or pay scale. Or relationships--same situation.

You can find online tests ADHD or ADD (search the forum, or google ADD test or ADD self-rating scale.) If you still think you've got it, it's time to read a book sor two (choose ones that will hold your interest! :rolleyes: ). By then you'll also know if you want to follow up with a doc.

ADD requires its own way of managing things, and you can learn a lot of it from books. Especially for bright people, ADD can hide itself enough that you don't realize how much extra work you're doing, or how much damage it's doing.

meadd823
12-04-06, 06:30 AM
Another section of the forums that may be of interst is the home work/school area (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=89)

Welcome to the forums. . . .

Conscience
12-04-06, 06:12 PM
thanks, any book suggestions?

meadd823
12-09-06, 07:25 AM
ADD publications area (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36) may be a section of interst.