View Full Version : Overwhelmed

Claudia_0102
12-05-06, 12:41 AM
Ever since i started high school i have felt so overwhelmed by everything. The preassure to do good in school is so much more now that i'm in highschool. I'm so stressed and overwhelmed by everything that i'm surprised i'm not losing hair over it. I feel that i'm near the end of my rope. :(

livinginchaos
12-08-06, 10:08 PM
Hi, Claudia!

I am so sorry I haven't responded yet to you!!

Do you have to work hard to get good grades?

Who is putting pressure on you? Yourself? teacher? parents?

I know . . lots of Q's!

High school is hard. I remember feeling a lot of pressure on me. For me, it was because I had a "perfect" older sister. She didn't have to work hard for her grades, she was loved by everyone, she was (seemingly) confident and excelled at most everything she tried.

Looking back, it was me who was putting the pressure on myself. I felt like I was expected to be like my sister (from my parents & teachers). I really wasn't.
As soon as I went to college and didn't have that "expectation" I had a lot less pressure/stress in my life.

Courtney

Claudia_0102
12-10-06, 01:06 AM
i mostly feel like the teachers are putting the preassure on me how they say "do you want to take this course again next year?" "this is very disapointing". I do have an older brother that did so great in high school and everyone liked him and i am the exact opposite.

martia
12-10-06, 12:51 PM
you guys had older siblings... it was funnier for me, because i had a "perfect" YOUNGER sister in the same school. and my friends are like, "are you sure she's not the older sister?" well, they had their point, i was, at any rate, a lot more childish than she was.

i couldn't have cared less what the teachers said, comparing me and her and saying that she was more diligent etc. but what sucked was that when she came home and complained to me "da jie can you please behave yourself or not you're supposed to be older than me!" (da jie is 大姐, meaning "eldest sister") and of all of the ppl in the world, i really love my little sister. it sucked that i wasn't the good example i was supposed to be and that there was no quality in me that she could respect. (ya, me and my ego)

my first response to you would be "just heck care them!!" but then i realise like what my mum and dad drill into me "not everyone thinks the way you do".

but, umm, this sounds useless, but there is no need to bother with the teachers. you are not accountable to them. i drove my maths teacher nuts and she screamed once a month at me. (her screams are famous in the school, you can hear it 4 levels and 2 blocks away) but could never bother to submit my homework still. oh wait. NO NO NO don't learn from me. what i mean is, just relax and take things at the pace you think you can perform best at. that's all

livinginchaos
12-10-06, 10:52 PM
Claudia,

Are you trying your hardest? (I'm not asking to be snotty, but I'm asking because I want you to be honest to yourself)

If you answer yes, then just continue on doing your absolute best.

If that answer is no, then work with your teachers on finding the best way for you to study, learn & take tests.

I'm guessing that the teachers are thinking that this style of communication is motivating. You could tell them that it's not motivating, but putting more, unnecessary stress & pressure on you. Then, tell them what will help motivate you.

Courtney

loserinamailbox
12-23-06, 12:31 AM
i mostly feel like the teachers are putting the preassure on me how they say "do you want to take this course again next year?" "this is very disapointing". I do have an older brother that did so great in high school and everyone liked him and i am the exact opposite.Wow. That is exactly how I feel. My sister is currently at Harvard. She's like the perfect student and daughter, and then there's me, the problem child, who will not ever get into Harvard. There's always at least one point in every day in which I just get frustrated with how everything is going. I keep messing everything up and I can't control it, thus it's driving me absolutely insane.

supersomeone
01-22-08, 05:24 PM
haha semi same here.older brother thankfully he had a LD but not as bad as mine.He was a great student not perfect.But always responsible and polite determined to do better than what the special ed people had in mind for him lol.I put the pressure on myself not because of him or my family or anything but because HE could do it with his learning disability why cant I ? Now that I think of it.It is sorta a good thing..

but at the same down I am drowing in stress since mid terms are coming up and driving test and everything in between lol

but you know what.Do the best you can and if they say that to you be like hey I am trying my hardest and if that is not good enough for them well then they are not very good teachers now are they ?