View Full Version : Supporting Forum Members with Dyslexia

VisualImagery
12-05-06, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone!

I want to thank and applaud every forum member who has dyslexia and ADD! Dyslexia is tremendously disabling, in academic and work settings. I have a friend getting a PhD in Anthro who has severe dyslexia. He is brilliant like all of you with dyslexia are. Words and spelling are not an indicator of intelligence or academic ability. I bet if you met and talked to fellow members with dyslexia, you would see them in a very different way from their posts. Words are so hard for them. I know from their own statements about their disabilities that seek, and Dorm, and meadd83 have ADD and Dyslexia.

When you read their posts or writing from anyone with Dyslexia here are some suggestions and insights:

Learn about Dyslexia Kids Health on Dyslexia (http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/learning_problem/dyslexia.html) Easy read with examples of what words look like to people with dyslexia
Be compassionate and understanding.
Don't correct misspellings or other Dyslexic writing problems
Accept the person unconditionally
Be thankful that person sacrificed so much time to write that post
Thank them for caring and giving so much of themselves to help you or others.
Don't judge their intelligence or other abilities by their writing and spelling, they are so much more than what you see on paper!
Try to see the person behind the words, they are wonderful, giving, loving people who struggle with two disorders, perhaps more.
You all really rock for doing what you do on this forum. I know in a small way how much each of you struggles to write each post. I see each post a person with dyslexia makes as a gift and a sacrifice. This is my rant, my rave about them, and kudos to my Dyslexic friends for not giving up and working so hard despite a world that does not often understand!

RADD

Crazy~Feet
12-05-06, 10:29 PM
Woohooooo!! Here here! I will join this support effort, Miss RADD, wholeheartedly. I also wish to add that the misspellings do not mean that the person does not speak English :eek:...what a painful blow that has to be to someone who is trying their best to be helpful.

I "typlexify" all the time -- I don't even have dyslexia, and I have many misspellings myself. I do know I would be injured if somebody pointed that out to me, because I am perfectly aware of that tendency.

I encourage everyone to stand up for and support the brave dyslexic crew here at ADDF (and elsewhere...you just never know if that neighbor who never reads the paper never reads it because they find it practically impossible).

Adding my name to this petition for equality and fairness,

Crazy~Feet aka KZ (sometimes Cray if you read it dyslexic-style)

VisualImagery
12-05-06, 10:47 PM
tanks crayfish! What color pom poms should we buy? I was isth sifrth!

Crazy~Feet
12-05-06, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm methinks this should be a sticky! :cool:

VisualImagery
12-05-06, 11:24 PM
World of Dylexia (http://www.worldofdyslexia.com)
Free newletter!

List of Topics covered:
• World of Dyslexia (http://www.worldofdyslexia.com/)
• Dyslexia Parents Resource
(http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/)• Dyslexia Teacher (http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/)
• Dyslexia Adults Link (http://www.dyslexia-adults.com/)
• Dyslexia College (http://www.dyslexia-college.com/)
• Dyslexia Test (http://www.dyslexia-test.com/)
• Dyslexia Magazine (http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/magazine.html)
• Dyslexia Journal (http://www.dyslexia-adults.com/journal.html)
• Dyslexia Certificate Course (http://www.dyslexia-teacher.com/certificate.html)
• Classroom Assistant (http://www.classroom-assistant.net/)
• Synthetic Phonics (http://www.synthetic-phonics.com/)

VisualImagery
12-05-06, 11:26 PM
Read Regular Typeface (http://www.readregular.com/english/intro.html)

Interesting site. What do those with Dyslexia think?

*~ §EEK ~*
12-06-06, 05:36 AM
Thank you RADD! You are sweet to post such nice things about us here on our forums! :)

Most of the time I do pretty good with my spelling. However, I often spell some words so poorly that my spell checker doesn't even have a clue what word I am trying to spell! Recently I switched to Firefox 2.0 with it's built-in spell checker and it has really helped me post on our forums. It isn't as thorough as the MS "Word" spell checker, but it's usually adequate for my needs. And when I use Internet Explorer, I use the "iespell" plug-in to check my spelling, so I have all the Internet browsers that I might want to use covered.

I don't actually think about my dyslexia very often until I am in "Chat" here on our forums, or when I am using an IM (Instant Messenger) program. When you throw speed into the equation and I am suppose to communicate rapidly using text, that's when I start to notice how poorly I spell. Using IM and Chat is sort of like being on a treadmill that's going to fast to walk, but to slow to run! The faster I try to go to keep up with everyone else the more frustrated I get and the worse my spelling gets.

The other day I made a error spelling some word in an IM and I quickly typed "please speel check that for me"! Then as soon as I saw that error I quickly typed "speel" and hit enter, spelling it wrong again!!! And if that wasn't enough, I did it one more time before I finally just typed "Grrrrrrrrrrr...... forget it!" :faint:

Sometimes I'll forget how to to spell something really simple for no particular reason at all.
Like the word "About". My brain for some reason will suddenly out of the blue think that the word "About" should have a "W" in it! "Abowt" and perhaps the letter "d" "Abowdt"! <-- Of course when I spell it like that my spell checker thinks I'm trying to spell the word "Bowdlerize". LOL :D That's certainly helpful, I don't even know what that word means! :rolleyes:

Check out what it means! LMAO :D
bowd·ler·ize (bōd'lə-rīz', boud'-)
tr.v., -ized, -iz·ing, -iz·es. To remove material that is considered offensive or objectionable from (a book, for example). So, I guess my spell checker found my misspelling "Abowdt" offensive or objectionable! LMAO :D That's pretty amusing isn't it? :)

:mad: Grrrr.... Ok, I've had enough of this word "SPELL"!!!! I bet I have misspelled it "SPEEL" 15 times just in this one post! LMAO :D That word is really starting to bug me!! I shouldn't be having a problem with the word "Spell"! I usually have more problems with letters and numbers that look similar like P,9,G,6,b,d,p,q,g,j <-- those mess with my eyes just looking at them!

Anyway, again thank you for the lovely posts! I'm sure I can speak for all my fellow dyslexic ADDers when I say we truly do appreciate your understanding and support! :)

Thx

VisualImagery
12-06-06, 05:18 PM
Seek, I am on a mission! I see too many people who don't understand learning disabilities and ADD. I have seen too much bullying, bad teaching, put downs and the resulting self-esteem, self-confidence, self-concept difficulties in young kids. I know how this impacts adult life.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I may not be able to change the whole world, but I can change my little corner and hope the ripples carry it beyond my reach. To many smart, wonderful, creative, awesome people get lost in the education system. Maybe that is why I can relate so well with the kids who struggle and have so many successes.

I was in LD class today. Dam, those kids are smart-they understand my puns! That is a sign of great intelligence according to researchers! So many smart kids who think they are dumb. Hey who said sitting quietly at a desk doing worksheets is an education? Not me!!!! Pi**es me off.

Shutting up and getting off my :soapbox: !
RADD

dormammau2008
12-07-06, 05:31 PM
thankyou raddmom so nice to see someone showing care an understanding means more than words can ,,,SAY... ALL I CAN SAY IS THANKYOU..XX

as you know i have great porblems with spelling the words i can spell i spell well most the others i spill badyley i dont have any real reulls to the way i do it i wirte the way i think same in maths an i get some funy looks an like whats that mean...90% post i send out i get no reply back or i get can you put this in english i find pepole dont have the time or pation for me.....for the mrestsiks i make or quitons i ask....lol i have found the forums very helpfull but ive also found i perscive is a lack understanding what ever should think is take something you injoy doing...or a game maybe an no matter how meanytimes you do it you JUST DONT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO GET IT an then you might get sence what its like to be us...deasyila dyeaxslia etc is very diff to add adhd ...an haveing a combnidion ofve these must be even harder to cope with .......its hard when all you went to do is be expated an work to the ablits you know you have,,,an to be given a chance witch in my life ive never been given that chance .....worked to get past this since i was 2years old....i sat dwon one day an though peps like them who know things i datcked rest my life to knowing as much as i could to be eque to eveyone...an not look so thick dume what evey the words they use an still use to this day......my english techer didnt just displin me an few others he used to bestus up each day infot the class for years,,,i was the only one to say enoughs enough an ran away an told the auarghtys an all i got for my trubles was to be thown away into bordoning scholls where i was besten an sexyual abused form 7/16 i sufferd each an everyday i was home from friday then back sunday....then next school from frid/till monday moring ....i used to pray that god would come an take me even tryed to help it along ......to name but a few trhings .......iam now 34 an feom that time my lifes in them reapcts has not chancend the help ive been pormmied menytimes on has never come....sooooooooo when i seee someone like raddmom.......come here an be so porizte an lovely an careing for us an so meany others on this an other levels it brings a tear to my eyes......

i wished i had an i know ofve others whod wish they had someone like that to techer /freind,,,,whod care how much we would beeen better equpited to take advce ofve the things we can do.....we all went love an freindship in this world

YOU RADDMOM ARE A TRUE FREIND OFVE THE WORLD

AN IAM PORUD TO CALL YOU MINE...FREIND XX

3 w m s b 6 l j there so meany i carnt even think

could be cos ive just done thins reply if there was a drug i take it even if there was a op id take it if i though it would help....

this is a wounderfull place an iam glade its here,,,
thanks for them who made it an thanks for the wundefull pepole.....who are here..

oh an i did like the dyeicazl site ive add myself there

in the end whats harder my dyelicxa or the lack understanding.....YOU DESIDE

THANKS RADDMOM

DORM 2006 07DEC

VisualImagery
12-07-06, 05:47 PM
Thank you Dorm, I cried, you are so strong to come through all that and keep on going. I would so love to have a cup of tea and make you some of my scones! We could sit and talk.

All I know is that I want to advocate for disabiliies and in ADD style would like to do it in a big way! I see so many kids getting lost and seeing Hyperion loose his job because of insurance policies, lack of meds, and struggling with a disability, I am angry. That motivates me.

I am here any time dorm and seek and anyone else. You are my role models on my own bad days. Thank you, you strengthen me.

RADD

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-07-06, 06:43 PM
We suffer not so much because of our disabilities but because of people's ignorance and intolerance of those of us who are different. We-the ones labeled learning disabled are so often the ones who want to learn. Why can't those who are called "Normal", learn about us without predjudice? Only then will there be real help and compassion.
That's me Odd-Scrooball

Skully
12-07-06, 09:32 PM
Thank you RADDmom for starting this thread. I personally feel comfort in the fact that I can post here without someone making a comment on my spelling! I have a mild LD but it does impair my ability to do some things that come natural to others. Thank gawd for spell check!!!

Thank you again, you are a wonderful soul!

VisualImagery
12-08-06, 12:30 AM
Well said, very well said.

I would rather work with a student who wants to learn and struggles than a student who doesn't give a flying leap and learns easily! I require, nay it is an absolute to respect and treat each person with dignity in my classroom. That is one absolute referal opportunity they only take once unless they are stubborn and mule-headed.

We suffer not so much because of our disabilities but because of people's ignorance and intolerance of those of us who are different. We-the ones labeled learning disabled are so often the ones who want to learn. Why can't those who are called "Normal", learn about us without predjudice? Only then will there be real help and compassion.
That's me Odd-Scrooball

meadd823
12-08-06, 07:51 AM
P,9,G,6,b,d,p,q,g,j,

Funny those look a like to me tooooooo. . . .my confusion comes in sets of threee and four. . . . and the difference between two “E” and 3 really should make such a huge difference?

o,p,q,c & 0!

m,n,w,v

b.d,p,q and 8

6,9,P

l,k,h,i

J, 1,7 and I

E,F,7,3

Why do they have to make them look alike? Was it really necessary?

I don't actually think about my dyslexia very often until I am in "Chat" here on our forums, or when I am using an IM (Instant Messenger) program. When you throw speed into the equation and I am suppose to communicate rapidly using text, that's when I start to notice how poorly I spell. Using IM and Chat is sort of like being on a treadmill that's going to fast to walk, but to slow to run! The faster I try to go to keep up with everyone else the more frustrated I get and the worse my spelling gets.

Amen brother me toooo . . . I have a hard time writing in real time myself. By the time I read what is written and respond the subject has changed like a month ago. I will do chat with certain people of the understanding persuasion but it is hard for me to keep up and sit in one spot. . . I like the message board better because I can wiggle when I want and take as long to respond as I need.

lol i have found the forums very helpfull but ive also found i perscive is a lack understanding what ever should think is take something you injoy doing...or a game maybe an no matter how meanytimes you do it you JUST DONT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO GET IT an then you might get sence what its like to be us...deasyila dyeaxslia etc is very diff to add adhd ...an haveing a combnidion ofve these must be even harder to cope with .......its hard when all you went to do is be expated an work to the ablits you know you have,,,an to be given a chance witch in my life ive never been given that chance

Yea it makes me sad to hear people with one disability be so intolerant of those of us who happen to have more than one difference with the other condition effecting our ability to write. . . . my post take forever for me to write because I run mine through spell checkers that come up with single word possibilities then I can’t tell which is the right word correction until after I put it in the dam sentence, then if it is the wrong word I have to go back mis-spell it again so I can retrieve the list again and try another one. . . .then finally post it and have some idiot complain about one mis-spelled word. . . . in the next life I think it should be their turn to see words like we do. . . .how well would they read and write if half the alphabet looked like the other half and parts of the numerical system.

Ya know Dorm this is one of the reason I think you and I don’t see being ADD as such a bad thing, because we both understand there are harder things in life than just having ADD. I find my dyslexia so much more disabling than the ADHD. . .okay when I am here any way in meeting then the hyperactive ADD can be the problem. I think it is the combination of being hyperactive ADD and dyslexia that peaked my interest in debates. . .I got sick of being picked on . . . sick of being treated like I was stupid. . . so I learned the art of arguing. . . I speak better than I write but speaking only accents my verbally impulsive tendencies. . . . but I can still give a decent debate because I do understand on the inside more than I can convey on the outside.

Being hyperactive and dyslexic as a child in school didn’t do much for my school experiences either. I was labeled retarded, I have often felt retarded. I also believe this exasperating experience with education is preventing me from continuing my education. . .School sucked for me Dorm but in no way was my experience as bad as yours. . . I am sorry you were ever treated this way.

We suffer not so much because of our disabilities but because of people's ignorance and intolerance of those of us who are different. We-the ones labeled learning disabled are so often the ones who want to learn. Why can't those who are called "Normal", learn about us without predjudice?

Because their disability is worse than ours(IMHO) it is called HUB syndrome – which means Head Up Butt syndrome. . . . there is simply not enough KY in the world to pull out all those heads. . . so some people walk around looking at their own rectum and thinking they are seeing every one else.

Only then will there be real help and compassion.
That's me Odd-Scrooball

Dyslexic spell checkers. . .that would help a lot. . . . . and you either aren’t an odd scrooball or you are not alone. . . . your post was most excellent.

Hav ingdys lexiac anmake it hardtoread!

It doesn’t do much for the spelling either! I won’t touch the directional thing either except I ended up in the bi-polar section coming here. . . . :o

Thanks RADD mom you are a sweet heart . . . . :D

Crazy~Feet
12-08-06, 01:19 PM
I just want to comment that I have had the honor of being in either chat or IM with Seek, Dorm and Tammy at one time or another (well, many times since I occasionally have difficulty shutting myself up, even on the internet). I just want to thank you all for stretching yourselves and going someplace uncomfortable for you, and supporting me when my own misunderstood disorder (bipolar II) made it impossible for me to sleep and I needed somebody to listen to me. Add to that the fact that I move, speak and type extremely fast when I am hypomanic and your willingness to put up with me in chat/IM format becomes an act of heroism.

Special thanks to Dorm, who told me to just go ahead and not bother to check my "typlexia" which often occurs when I am moving rapidly. The dyslexia is a special gift at those times because you can actually read what I type :o and that lets me off the hook for the pressure to speed-type that I have a hard time controlling. You can play Positronic Brain Frisbee with me any time.

Special thanks to Seek for the many long, long nights you sat with me in chat when I was unable to sleep. You are my musical wonder-buddy.

Special thanks to Tammy, who sometimes meets me in IM and stays with me on long nights. You keep up with my blog and support me every time I fall apart. I love you, sis.

Much love and many blessing!

dormammau2008
12-08-06, 09:24 PM
thank you madda for that......>yes intoeracet is such a bad things it seems ability to write......pepople put it so high up an if your not able to do it then your out side the box......ive been giveing it alot though about how to talkcel the porblem on spell chker,,,,to make it work better so iam thinking ofve reading ever word.in the english dictroeay an to do each word as i know it an as its write an compe them....an if i can get more to do the same thing maybe we can have a better spell cheaker ,,,,,,,,,big though.....lol ........ive tryed....to go back to....the being on maths 0/5 5/10 10/16........to see if i can get it...yes i have to ages i dont find bing that so hard...but the H bit an the constent warenessss ofve ENUMBERS makes life hard when your eating things ..i find the mix to be really hard but there gifts to it as well i love debates about eveything. like you...like you iam used to being pick on or kock dwon for who iam an what i belive in,,,,,yes we have an understanding ofve things even if we only just see it like seek raddmom ....an carzy feet we all see things in diff way....iam shore there meany others who see it that way your right madda if i told you some the things that happen to me an few others i can tell you you go wight....pale an say how could things happen like that........just as i used to say to myself]]]]] we never had edagtion at my school not in the way you think....an iam total shore....your life has been as bad as well. as some have here as well

its an honor to know you as well i have same porblems sometimes cazy feet
so i knows what you mean in the end you being your self amogst freinds is what matter.....we tak you as you are....hun i never see the porblems....cos i just see you...an what you have to say.i dont mind you biopoler 2 its part you an i take you for who you are....my ex wife has it as well even i move as fast as you so i dont mind the errors how pepole see it......WE SEE THE PERSON.........brain games i allways injoy with you......

thanks raddmom as i said to......madda if i said somethings that have happend. you say how in this world the harder the life is the stronger you become i lerend at 2 that life dont aways go. the way we would like it to be.... anytime i love a cupr an louds home made scones mmmmmm sounds good well i think what you are doing is great raddmom...... any serpoter you need we here to help in anyway we can i think a great ideas.........and as you say kids now have the same pornblms an for hypersion is bad all cos these lack understanding struggling with a disability, I am angry. That motivates me.

I am here any time dorm and seek and anyone else. You are my role models on my own bad days. Thank you, you strengthen me.

ththanks raddmom for your kindness an strenthen that you give an recive back xox dormy

VisualImagery
12-09-06, 01:42 AM
Having trouble reading a message from someone with dyslexia? No problem. This only takes a moment. Copy and paste the message into Word etc. Then run the spell checker! Here is what dorm's message looks like after less than five minutes. Just think, if you could not read or understand the post, you just experienced what reading is like for someone with dyslexia!

Dorm's message after spell check: thank you meadd for that......>yes interact is such a bad things it seems ability to write......people put it so high up an if your not able to do it then your out side the box......I've been giving it allot though about how to talked the problem on spell check make it work better so I am thinking of reading every word. in the English dictionary an to do each word as I know it an as its write an complete them....an if I can get more to do the same thing maybe we can have a better spell checker ,,,,,,,,,big though.....lol ........I’ve tried....to go back to....the being on math 0/5 5/10 10/16........to see if I can get it...yes I have to ages I don’t find being that so hard...but the H bit an the constant awareness of ENUMBERS makes life hard when your eating things ..i find the mix to be really hard but there gifts to it as well I love debates about everything. like you...like you I am used to being pick on or knock down for who I am an what I believe in yes we have an understanding of things even if we only just see it like seek RADDmom ....an crazy feet we all see things in diff way....I am shore there many others who see it that way your right meadd if I told you some the things that happen to me an few others I can tell you go white....pale an say how could things happen like that........just as I used to say to myself]]]]] we never had education at my school not in the way you think....an I am total shore....your life has been as bad as well. as some have here as well

its an honor to know you as well I have same problems sometimes crazy feet
so I knows what you mean in the end you being your self amongst friends is what matter.....we take you as you are....Hun I never see the problems....because I just see you...an what you have to say. I don’t mind you bipolar 2 its part you an I take you for who you are....my ex wife has it as well even I move as fast as you so I don’t mind the errors how people see it......WE SEE THE PERSON.........brain games I always enjoy with you......

thanks RADDmom as I said to......meadd if I said some things that have happened. you say how in this world the harder the life is the stronger you become I learned at 2 that life doesn't always go. the way we would like it to be.... anytime I love a cup an love home made scones mmmmmm. sounds good well I think what you are doing is great RADDmom...... any support you need we here to help in anyway we can I think a great ideas.........and as you say kids now have the same problems an for Hyperion is bad all because these lack understanding struggling with a disability, I am angry. That motivates me.

thanks RADDmom for your kindness an strength that you give an receive back xox dormy
See how a simple little step can help you understand the message? Dorm, how long did it take for you to write this post? It will help put your efforts into perspective for others! Thanks for being a good sport. I did this to help non-dyslexic's understand just a little bit.

RADD

meadd823
12-09-06, 06:05 AM
ive been giveing it alot though about how to talkcel the porblem on spell chker,,,,to make it work better so iam thinking ofve reading ever word.in the english dictroeay an to do each word as i know it an as its write an compe them....

Dorm I know I am in the minority here but I don’t have any more problem reading your post than I do people who spell every word correctly. . . it is all the same to me literally!

Some times using spell checkers can be hard, especially sense they insist on presenting the correction choices in single word list as opposed to the sentences in which I wrote them to begin with. Single words mean so little to me I really need the sentence. . . . I compensated for my dyslexia at a young age by reading in context. . . . so words mean some thing in the context of the other words. The single word has no meaning because it could be half a dozen other words . . . .it is how it is presented with other words that gives it definite meaning.

This means it takes me a long time to post which I understand many other people who come here do not have. I didn’t begin using spell checks with my post until Gary and I went from dial up to broad band because my computer time was limited by Gary and I having to take turns using the computer. When we went to broad bad I already had my own computer and with us being able to both be on-line at the same time I could take my time. My children are grown, I work less than 40 hours a week, so I have a lot more time than most people do.

like you...like you iam used to being pick on or kock dwon for who iam an what i belive in,,,,,yes we have an understanding ofve things even if we only just see it like seek raddmom ....an carzy feet we all see things in diff way....iam shore there meany others who see it that way your right

I say many people even some on here have failed to accept their own differences therefore have a hard time accepting yours, mine or any one else’s. . . I also find it ironic that most of us with ADD what to be accepted just as we are. Some feel bad or become angry when their non-ADD spouses becomes critical because they are frustrated by some of their ADD traits like forgetfulness poor concept of time ect. . . but then turn around and make snide comments regarding some one else’s difference because it interferes with their convience. . .they have to slow down to read dyslexic. I see those people as missing the main lesson in the struggle of life with ADD. . . accepting , tolerance, and celebrating the gift of diversity.

pale an say how could things happen like that........just as i used to say to myself]]]]] we never had edagtion at my school not in the way you think....an iam total shore....your life has been as bad as well. as some have here as well

I have had some pretty bad things happen to me when I was younger, I too am an abuse survivor but like you Dorm I refuse to let those experiences rule my life for the rest of my life.
Old Jewish proverb:

The best revenge one can have upon an “enemy” is to live well.

cos i just see you...an what you have to say.i dont mind you biopoler 2 its part you an i take you for who you are

I will second the above. . . I see people as healthy for me, toxic or neutral but I accept people as they are because I never learned how to categorize or engage in social expectations . . . yea my files are interesting like my socialization skills but . . . I take people as they come. . .I have found no reason to change this part of who I am.

See how a simple little step can help you understand the message? Dorm, how long did it take for you to write this post? It will help put your efforts into perspective for others! Thanks for being a good sport. I did this to help non-dyslexic's understand just a little bit.

What a great idea for non-dyslexics RADD. . . although I will have to admit the translated version looked pretty much the same as the original one I have grown to accept the fact I see things differently than most. .. . I mean that in the literal sense a well a the figurative.

Having trouble reading a message from someone with dyslexia? No problem. This only takes a moment. Copy and paste the message into Word etc. Then run the spell checker! Here is what dorm's message looks like after less than five minutes. Just think, if you could not read or understand the post, you just experienced what reading is like for someone with dyslexia!

Which makes spelling a real night mare! Instead of complaining do what RADD suggest it won’t hurt to spend a few extra seconds translating dyslexic into “your language”. After all I have spent a long time translating my language into “yours” and must do so every time I read a post or post a reply. Most of us with dyslexia want the same things other people do, we want to be accepted. . . .we want other to realize we are not being lazy or difficult we have a problem that effects the way we communicate.

Not only will reading an unedited version of dyslexic assist the non-dyslexic in understanding how difficult reading can be for us perhaps it also can serve as another lesson for those who have ADD. . . . having a hard time understanding our writing being asked to compensate for our dyslexia is exactly the same thing many of us are asking the “resident” non-ADDers to do. Perhaps the frustration others face when they have to live with your “condition” will be easier to understand!

Scary thought of the day while others with out dyslexia have a hard time reading our writing few of us have problems reading another dyslexics writing(we could start our own language-LOL). . . .reading dyslexic is some thing that can be learned just ask most teachers of grade school children or special education, ( members of my immediate family). . . . they don’t have dyslexia yet even before spell checkers they learned to read what I wrote. . . I find it interesting they have to use the same method of contextual reading to understand what I wrote just like I have to use reading in context understand any thing I read. . . irony is the true spice of life!

PS Without distrations this post took me almost two hours to write. . . some thing like 1 hour and 40 minutes for this one post. . . this time doesn't include how long it took me to read the pervious post I am replying to . . . .

VisualImagery
12-09-06, 03:45 PM
LOL! I wonder why? Because we who do not have reading difficulties need to have the words "look" right to understand them? For me, misspelled words are distracting to my brain and its ordered way of seeing words. It took me time to get used to reading dyslexia.

One little secret-I am a horrible typist. I probably type twice as many words as I write because I make so many mistakes. No amount of practice helps. That is why I use Dragon as much as possible. When I am very tired and writing by hand or keyboard, I use the wrong letters-the p b d g q m n parade. I often write the completely wrong word instead of the word I really want to use.

It takes me a very long time to write papers-I took the entire 5 hours for each of my teaching tests. The two handwritten essays were the guilty party. I don't have the problems with words and spelling of dyslexia. My problems are with processing my thoughts-getting them from my brain to the processor or paper. Free writing, writing whatever comes into your head and not stopping to think is a great tool I use. See the next post, this one would be too long.

RADD
The larger typeface is for my dyslexic friends-per information learned about the disorder.

Dorm I know I am in the minority here but I don’t have any more problem reading your post than I do people who spell every word correctly. . . it is all the same to me literally!

VisualImagery
12-09-06, 03:47 PM
<center>Free Writing (http://web.umr.edu/%7Egdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing.html)

</center> Free writing is a simple process that is the basis for other discovery techniques. Basic free writing follows these guidelines:

Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
Do not make corrections as you write.
Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
Write whatever comes into your mind.
Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
"Then free writing results in a mess?"

Yes, it certainly can. In fact, if your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough. However, remember that you can't fail in free writing. The point of doing free writing is the process, not the end result. If you follow the guidelines, your free writing is successful.

Free writing has these benefits:

It makes you more comfortable with the act of writing.
It helps you bypass the "inner critic" who tells you you can't write.
It can be a valve to release inner tensions.
It can help you discover things to write about.
It can indirectly improve your formal writing.
It can be fun.
Some final suggestions for free writing:

Use the writing tool that is most comfortable for you— pencil, computer, or whatever.
Don't cross anything out: Write the new idea down; leave the old one.
Drop all punctuation. That can make your free writing faster and more fluent.
Click here (http://web.umr.edu/%7Egdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing-example.html) to see an example of free writing.

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-09-06, 06:11 PM
Thanks meadd823, for your kind words and Hilarious thoughts. I love the"Hub". :D Fortunately I am an 'Odd-Scrooball' and Love every blessed moment of it. All the years I was humiliated by teachers- and picked on, taunted and hurt{Physically and emotionally} by my peers has been a double edged sword. On the one hand their words and taunts cut to the quick as I was and still am super-sensitive either because of or as a result of of my learning disabilities-but their hurting words have also given me a strength of character and empathy that I might not have had otherwise. ;) And for that I Thank them. Revenge does have it's rewards. :D :)

And Dorm, :D It's not so much how you spell words in what you write- as it is in what you say and how you express yourself so Eloquently. It is clear to me you have suffered and suffered deeply and yet you have strength courage and compassion. You need no spell-checker to make yourself understood You express yourself quite well. Let others use spell checker if they want to translate what is so abundantly clear: You write from your heart :)

That's me, Odd-Scrooball :D :) :D

dormammau2008
12-11-06, 05:13 PM
thanlks raddmom i dopnt normel see my writeing in a way eveyone eles can read... lol thankyou.......was nice to see it make some since to me lol smiles

Some times using spell checkers can be hard, especially sense they insist on presenting the correction choices in single word list as opposed to the sentences in which I wrote them to begin with. Single words mean so little to me I really need the sentence. . . . I compensated for my dyslexia at a young age by reading in context. . . . so words mean some thing in the context of the other words. The single word has no meaning because it could be half a dozen other words . . . .it is how it is presented with other words that gives it definite meaning.

This means it takes me a long time to post which I understand many other people who come here do not have. I didn’t begin using spell checks with my post until Gary and I went from dial up to broad band because my computer time was limited by Gary and I having to take turns using the computer. When we went to broad bad I already had my own computer and with us being able to both be on-line at the same time I could take my time. My children are grown, I work less than 40 hours a week, so I have a lot more time than most people do.

hey mada thanks you its nince to know that you can read it that elasyer makes me feel happy...an understood yeh.yes i find that with spell chekers you must have a word that is close to. to the one you went. witch is not easy when you dont know the word just what you think it might be .....so when some say use spell chekker they not really understanding what dyeilxas means....not helpfull an normal on here it take about 2 maybe 3 gose per post to make it readable enough so i dont feel that i be miss understood or though ofve as thick etc...but ...i injoy posting an injoy helping others who have on one in there lives who care witch is what the forums are about ....there some lovely pepole here an ifo that really helps what dose .....reading in context mean madda???? porble do it but i dont know the meaning......this why i though about doing this with a spell cheker to have as meany verables on words from dyixas peps....or add adhd cos there smileristes there an sid.....aspsgutyer as well......

in the struggle of life with ADD. . . accepting , tolerance, and celebrating the gift of diversity.

total ages with you what dose not destgyer you makes you stronger

I have had some pretty bad things happen to me when I was younger, I too am an abuse survivor but like you Dorm I refuse to let those experiences rule my life for the rest of my life.
Old Jewish proverb:

yes i knows what you mean the experrinences bad but as you say...best revange on them is to go there in life....

I will second the above. . . I see people as healthy for me, toxic or neutral but I accept people as they are because I never learned how to categorize or engage in social expectations . . . yea my files are interesting like my socialization skills but . . . I take people as they come. . .I have found no reason to change this part of who I am.

i wound not even notic your biopoer2 id only see you for who you are tha
now.....so you come anytime if your haveing a hardtime dorrs allways open for the good an badtimes hun...

good point there madda an radd it only takes a few mins to take just bit time to trasnlate whats beening expesssed here just as we do with the normal way writeing things being add adhd dyslaixa despaeixa alltisum aspsagyer we all have things in comon more so than some may think theres so much more to us all ....each condion mindsetup has its postives an negtives ijnvoled .....but i must say that...even though there no cures or help as much we all like an not to say cure all ofve it only the bad parts...ofve each...if its possable to expresss ones thoughs feeling an ideas is WHAT MAKES US FOR THE MOST PART HUNMAN

Which makes spelling a real night mare! Instead of complaining do what RADD suggest it won’t hurt to spend a few extra seconds translating dyslexic into “your language”. After all I have spent a long time translating my language into “yours” and must do so every time I read a post or post a reply. Most of us with dyslexia want the same things other people do, we want to be accepted. . . .we want other to realize we are not being lazy or difficult we have a problem that effects the way we communicate.

Not only will reading an unedited version of dyslexic assist the non-dyslexic in understanding how difficult reading can be for us perhaps it also can serve as another lesson for those who have ADD. . . . having a hard time understanding our writing being asked to compensate for our dyslexia is exactly the same thing many of us are asking the “resident” non-ADDers to do. Perhaps the frustration others face when they have to live with your “condition” will be easier to understand!

Scary thought of the day while others with out dyslexia have a hard time reading our writing few of us have problems reading another dyslexics writing(we could start our own language-LOL). . . .reading dyslexic is some thing that can be learned just ask most teachers of grade school children or special education, ( members of my immediate family). . . . they don’t have dyslexia yet even before spell checkers they learned to read what I wrote. . . I find it interesting they have to use the same method of contextual reading to understand what I wrote just like I have to use reading in context understand any thing I read. . . irony is the true spice of life!

yes staring our own lagunge lol ant that what we allready got lol....

good point radd haveing it in bod
you never notice that you had a porblem with typeing radd hugs iam not shore whats worng in my brain i think understanding the rules laugnge an writen i see words but i dont see them at same time i use the rules ive made for myself as the way to write i find meaning to be imponted an ask alot about thingss if i dont know a word an like so meany words in uk there more than one meaning ti them when you hear that the same words mean the same things ????????? confusing or what..............

p b d g q m n parade. I often write the completely wrong word instead of the word I really want to use.

It takes me a very long time to write papers-I took the entire 5 hours for each of my teaching tests. The two handwritten essays were the guilty party. I don't have the problems with words and spelling of dyslexia. My problems are with processing my thoughts-getting them from my brain to the processor or paper. Free writing, writing whatever comes into your head and not stopping to think is a great tool I use. See the next post, this one would be too long.

RADD
The larger typeface is for my dyslexic friends-per information learned about the disorder.
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Dorm I know I am in the minority here but I don’t have any more problem reading your post than I do people who spell every word correctly. . . it is all the same to me literally! </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________yes radd that it dose but as you say its better to take alongtime doing the apers so they come out right

Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
Do not make corrections as you write.
Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
Write whatever comes into your mind.
Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
"Then free writing results in a mess?"
not shore i understand what it means?????????????

knows not to judge an cencer mind you.....

Drop all punctuation. That can make your free writing faster and more fluent.
[b]Click here (http://web.umr.edu/%7Egdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing-example.html) to see an example of free yeh..............i dont really use them an knows bit on it but i wite the way i do.......an hope others will add the braks where they need two.....

thank you oddball......your right we gaine something from our striffe wethers its to epathie compaieon etc......words an symbles dont makeish the man/worman...smilesssss thanks....

great threde raddmom love it.....dormy

meadd823
12-12-06, 05:49 AM
yes i find that with spell chekers you must have a word that is close to. to the one you went. witch is not easy when you dont know the word just what you think it might be .....so when some say use spell chekker they not really understanding what dyeilxas means....not helpfull an normal on here it take about 2 maybe 3 gose per post to make it readable enough so i dont feel that i be miss understood or though ofve as thick etc...

yae few poeles have tow huors for oen pots umm is thet post. . . . .non-deslexcs thay jsut look at teh wodr and kow hwat it is I haev to geuss a olt. . . . .my writng wiht uot speeel chekcer soem of them I am caching ohter I will not hte mis-pselling threof. so Dorm yuo are not alon in yuor srtugles I go htruohg a tol of throble making mi post hte way mots aer. . . .

now ti shold be muhc eser to imgine hwat ti deos tak to pots or post ot si ti pots o poop!

leter odres aer a prblem fro me. . . .

The larger typeface is for my dyslexic friends-per information learned about the disorder

hte siz si good anther hting htat hepls si braeking htings up lik yuop do

okya bakc to pseel ckecker

the sis

Oops again. . . The size is good another thing that helps me as a person is braking things up like most of you do. Using the . . . .between sentences also helps

For me things that come in one huge long paragraph are almost impossible for me to read some times I have to copy and paste those long things into word and break them up my self.

I didn’t do this until after I became a moderator(as a member I just scanned and picked up stuff if I could). I felt like to moderate meant I had to be able to read post to know what was said so I had to learn how to cope so I could perform my duties.

I proof read mine which is why they are broken up into such tiny chunks . . . it may help others to but I can’t read my own stuff if it isn’t broken up into bite size pieces. I know how selfish but it is truth. . . . .

dormammau2008
12-15-06, 07:45 PM
LOL MADAR I GET WHAT YOU MEAN LOL YOUR SPELLING EASY TO UNDERSTAND DO YOU LIKE MIRRIER WRIETING OR CAN YOU READ IT BACK TO FRONT AN UPSAIDE DWON .....ANT IT AMAZEING HOW LIFE WORKS AN HOW OUR BRAINS DO......SO MUCH TO SEE AN LEREN......NICE REPALY XX

DORMY ;.))))

Crazy~Feet
12-15-06, 08:23 PM
i wound not even notic your biopoer2 id only see you for who you are tha
now.....so you come anytime if your haveing a hardtime dorrs allways open for the good an badtimes hun...Dormie, my old pal, you are a true sweetheart :) thanks so much for that and lots of these {{HUGS}} Cray

meadd823
12-16-06, 08:11 AM
LOL MADAR I GET WHAT YOU MEAN LOL YOUR SPELLING EASY TO UNDERSTAND DO YOU LIKE MIRRIER WRIETING OR CAN YOU READ IT BACK TO FRONT AN UPSAIDE DWON .....ANT IT AMAZEING HOW LIFE WORKS AN HOW OUR BRAINS DO......SO MUCH TO SEE AN LEREN......NICE REPALY XX

You know until recently I thought most people could read up-side down or with the material at an angle. I needed to look at some things on a medication book one day but the pharmacist was using it. The stuff I needed to see was on pages she had flipped pat so I lifted up the pages until I got to the one I needed and I began looking at the information I needed. The pharmacist said here if you need to look some thing up I will give you the book I assured her it was alright I had read the information already. She said I could not have gotten much out of it because the words would appear upside down. . . . but I can read upside down words even long upside down words. . . . she couldn’t believe she held pages at different angles and was surprised I knew what they said . . . it all pretty much looks the same to me. . . .I was surprised she couldn't read stuff upside down, side ways or backwards -LOL!

Crazy~Feet
12-16-06, 10:45 AM
Hmmmm maybe that's why I really don't have much trouble reading what y'all write when you don't use spellcheck? I can read backwards, upside down, backwards AND upside down, and mirrored. I never really gave it much thought until now...you mean this is not a skill many people other than dyslexics have? :confused:

LOL I am the odd bird aren't I?

meadd823
12-25-06, 06:17 AM
Nope apparently reading upside down is not some thing every one can do. I don't see you as odd Crazy~Feet I see ytou as diversly talented. Perhaps your artistic abilities assist in this area for to be artistic it would seem that being able to see stuff fromn different perspective would be a necessary ability. I don't have scientific data this is just a personal hunch.

Crazy~Feet
12-25-06, 01:52 PM
Nope apparently reading upside down is not some thing every one can do. I don't see you as odd Crazy~Feet I see ytou as diversly talented. Perhaps your artistic abilities assist in this area for to be artistic it would seem that being able to see stuff fromn different perspective would be a necessary ability. I don't have scientific data this is just a personal hunch.Ya know what though? That does make a load of sense! Maybe it is the artistic talent of mentally turning things around and over and underneath that gives me that ability.

(Hey I really didn't know everybody could not do this thing, man, no kidding!) :cool:

~boots~
12-26-06, 03:12 AM
Dorm , I have no trouble readng your posts either...when I first joined I was not quite as quick at it, but now I just read yours like any other..

hey..we are on the same wavelegnth LOL..

~boots~
12-26-06, 03:18 AM
I am pasting a link to DYSGRAPHIA...this is me :-)
I can read easily,I have no problem spelling, but try and write, and OMG...impossible..

http://www.as.wvu.edu/~scidis/dysgraphia.html

it's weird, I thought it was just me, and I knew I had a problem, and I also knew it wasn't dyslexia...they are all intertwined it seems..

I wonder if anyone else here is like this?

meadd823
12-27-06, 03:17 AM
Quote from the DYSGRAPHIA source your provided that I can relate to. . . .as in it applies.

Students with an attention deficit disorder (especially with hyperactivity) often experience rather significant difficulty with writing and formulas in general and handwriting in particular. This is because ADHD students also have difficulty organizing and sequencing detailed information. In addition, ADHD students are often processing information at a very rapid rate and simply don't have the fine-motor coordination needed to "keep up" with their thoughts. (End Quote)

they are all intertwined it seems..

Apparently one can have dysgraphia without dyslexia but it seems like it would be unlikely that a person with dyslexia could escape having dysgraphia.

I wonder if anyone else here is like this?

I can't speak for every one here but I have problems with this my self.

My mom and I were talking about how I had problems keeping my rows in a straight line when I was in school.

I also can not see angles with my eyes. It was apparent in my art work and my attempts to play pool. . . . when building stuff I had to draw all my edges or make chalk lines because I could not see weather or not my work was in square or not. I found out by accident that even though I can not see angles I can feel them.

When I build things that need to be in square I literally close my eyes and focus on feeling. . . .elimanting my visual using only my scnese of touch I can actually line things up better than most.
Again although I can not speak for others I believe my visual preception is some how affected.

dormammau2008
01-25-07, 09:34 PM
THANKS TACY I READ YOURS WELL AS WELL....HUGGS C F HUN....YES MADDER ALLWAYS BEEN ABLE TO DO IT BETTER THAT WAY SOMETIMESSSSS.....LIKES LIKE LOOKING THOUGH GLASS WINDOWS WITH MRIRRORS BEHIND IT SO READ THEM UPSEIDE DOWN AN BACKTO FRONT .......LIFES AN INTRESTING THING.....HAVE A THORY ON DELYASXE AN DIPRESACIXL AS WELL WRITEING IT AS WE SPEAK SO I POST HERE IN FEW DAYS AN SEE WHAT YOU THINK...LOL...25% PEPEOLE SO FAR ON ADD FOURMS ARE DYELIXA TAKEING FROM ME POLL 46% ADD 42% ADHD `OTHERS AT LESS RATE 0.1% ON ALL OTHERS SO FAR ! SMILES

DORM I ALLSO THINK WHEN READING THE CLOUR BACK GORUND AS ALOR TO DO WITH IT

DORMY

meadd823
02-04-07, 07:55 AM
25% PEPEOLE SO FAR ON ADD FOURMS ARE DYELIXA TAKEING FROM ME POLL 46% ADD 42% ADHD `OTHERS AT LESS RATE 0.1% ON ALL OTHERS SO FAR ! SMILES

Dorm this is pretty close to the same figures put out there by experts. 25-30% of ADDers also have another learning disability. Dyslexia is a non-specific term used to describe reading and writing problems that can't be explained other things. In other ward those of us with dyslexia are intelligent people and according to our intellectual abilities reading and writing should not be a problem but they are. According to research most people with dyslexia have normal to above normal IQ's with a good percentage being in the upper range of intelligence.

There are several theories out there as to the cause but so far a lot of scientific debating but no scientific fact, and few thing actually understood. At least they finally figured out beating our butts or calling us ugly names doesn't fix it. I think those are some steps in the right direction but it sure took long enough.

dormammau2008
12-17-07, 04:49 PM
THANKS RADDMOM ALLWAYS KIND WORDS YOU SAY AND MADD WE DO THINK ALIKE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE

^^Ya know Dorm this is one of the reason I think you and I don’t see being ADD as such a bad thing, because we both understand there are harder things in life than just having ADD. I find my dyslexia so much more disabling than the ADHD. . .okay when I am here any way in meeting then the hyperactive ADD can be the problem. I think it is the combination of being hyperactive ADD and dyslexia that peaked my interest in debates. . .I got sick of being picked on . . . sick of being treated like I was stupid. . . so I learned the art of arguing. . . I speak better than I write but speaking only accents my verbally impulsive tendencies. . . . but I can still give a decent debate because I do understand on the inside more than I can convey on the outside.

Being hyperactive and dyslexic as a child in school didn’t do much for my school experiences either. I was labeled retarded, I have often felt retarded. I also believe this exasperating experience with education is preventing me from continuing my education. . .School sucked for me Dorm but in no way was my experience as bad as yours. . . I am sorry you were ever treated this way.

HAVEING DYELIAXA COS MORE PORBELMS THAN THE ADD COULD EVER DO FOR ME I CAN COPE WITH STAGAIES AN COPEING MEASAIMES WITH IT...PLSE BEING HERPERATIVITY COS ALOT PORBELMS BUT AGAIN I DO AVIODE ALL I CAN TO MAKE SHEORE TRIIGERS ARE! LESSS LIKELY.....> TO HAPPEN BUT THE 5%THE TIME THERS NOTHING CAN BE DONE!....OH I AGESSS MADDER I WAS CALLED REATARD A NO HOPER AN MUCH MORE AS I KNOW YOU WOULD BE CALLED BUT THE MORE PEPOLE TRY TO DRIVE ME DWON THE MORE I FIGHT AN GROW SRONGTER BY IT!!!.......>>>YOUR EXPAIASES WHERE BAD FOR YOU AND IN YOUR WAY WERE AS BAD THEY WONT RELAFT MINE BUT THATS TO BE EXPATED MINE WERE VERY DIFF AN ITS CHAGED ME AS PERSON COS THAT....AND COS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE DONE THAT SO AS WELL! EVEN IN THE TIME OVE BE ON!....HERE IN THE FORUMS

BLESSING TO YOU MADDER/ RADDMOMO / CRAZY FEET BLESSING TO YOU ALL

AND TO ALL OTHER DYEAZIXA PEPOLE IN THE FORUMS/ INCLUDING ADD/ADHD/AP OCD ODD AN ALL OTHERS I DONT REMBERS HOWS TO NAME

HAPPY XMASS AN NEWYEAR TO ALL....

DORM

meadd823
12-20-07, 08:16 AM
OH I AGESSS MADDER I WAS CALLED REATARD A NO HOPER AN MUCH MORE AS I KNOW YOU WOULD BE CALLED BUT THE MORE PEPOLE TRY TO DRIVE ME DWON THE MORE I FIGHT AN GROW SRONGTER BY IT!!!....

I am much the same way - I think it may be heredity - my mother was told I would never learn to read and write like other students I would always be "slow" - she believed I could learn if some one bothered to figure out how to teach me . . . I spent many a nights at the kitchen table in tears because I could not understand - how people remembered all the letters and sounds that went in some strange order that still makes no sense to me what so ever.

It wasn't until some time after first grade I was formally tested to see which "slow learner" classification I feel into - it was after days of testing {playing with puzzles and pictures and stuff} they found out I could read the words I simply could not pronounce them out loud - no one thought to test my actual reading ability only my ability to read out loud and spell - - - I can read out loud now with great difficulty . . . I have to have straight edge made of plain material to keep the lines from running together and loosing me. . .. .

One person noticed my reading edge was some three lines below my actually spoke words. . . later when she asked me why I did this I told her that was translation time . . . I had to translate what I see into the verbal sounds every one else understands as words and it take me a long time to do it. . . I have more than one area of reading difficulty when I read inside my head i do not use words to define other words {seems redundant to me} nor do I bother sounding out what I read . . . when I see words that relate a person's thoughts I see pictures,hear sounds, feel breezes, have impressions of the emotions they are conveying . . . . . it is a multi- sensory experience for me that has little to do with sounding out letters and making more words . . . and some how my way is inferior?

It took me a long time to learn this way. . .. the teacher was right I never did learn to read and write like most people do but I did manage to learn how to read and technology took care of the writing.My mother probably accidentally taught me some where in those thousands of hours of kitchen table work between grades one and three . . . . my poor determined mother who finally learned to read my dyslexic writing while I never learned to spell correctly. . . . . she did finally came to understand I was learning just not the way every one else did . . . . my way was not necessarily inferior just different - by the time was tested she had worked with me so many hours that I actually read well above grade level my comprehension was off the charts. . . I think more diversity tolerance need to be taught . . . . right along with reading writing and math beginning with top of the food chain in education called administration. . . . teachers who are different aren't treated very well either . . .that is a shame.

BUT THATS TO BE EXPATED MINE WERE VERY DIFF AN ITS CHAGED ME AS PERSON COS THAT....AND COS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE DONE THAT SO AS WELL! EVEN IN THE TIME OVE BE ON!....HERE IN THE FORUMS

I have leanred a lot here myself.