View Full Version : EEG Biofeedback

raz42re
12-06-06, 03:32 PM
Has anyone researched or tried "S.M.A.R.T. BrainGames", "Play Attention", or any other form of EEG Biofeedback (neurofeedback/neurotherapy)?

lbawd
12-06-06, 05:25 PM
My sister started it with her daughter who has a traumatic brain injury from a car accident. It was suppose to re-map the pathways in her brain. Initially it was all she could talk about and she was so excited about it and kept trying to get me to do it with my kids. She went around telling everyone about it and was so impressed but I think her opinion has changed. Really the initial results were impressive but she hasn't seen any improvement in a long time and feels like she wasted her money.

Sad thing is that she convinced her neighbor to do it with her kids who have ADHD and I think she paid something like $4000 and her kids hate it and will not go.

Sorry that is not first hand knowledge and I haven't heard anything in a while. I will ask my sister for an update on her daughter and her neighbors kids.

lbawd
12-06-06, 06:15 PM
Actually we were happy with it, but I think we used it for different than

you would, it was muscular reeducation, and the people were kind of kookie,

but it did seem to help relax her hand, I don't know how long lasting it

was, and it was not covered by insurance, but I think if you use their

providers it is covered under mental health. So, I'm not sure, I liked it

more than the neurofeedback, but supposedly for ADD neurofeedback is more

effective than what we were doing it for, so I don't know?

speedo
12-06-06, 06:53 PM
These things are forms of cognitive therapy. They will make you feel better, and you might get some improvement from that. But while cognitive therapies can make you feel better, they really don't address the core problems of ADHD.

Now, I've read that cognitive therapy is very good for things like anxiety, and reducing anxiety in the face if ADHD is probably a good thing to do.

So, what I'm trying to say is that yes , it will help some things, but it won't do much for your adhd.

ME :D

Has anyone researched or tried "S.M.A.R.T. BrainGames", "Play Attention", or any other form of EEG Biofeedback (neurofeedback/neurotherapy)?

rickhz
12-15-06, 12:23 PM
But while cognitive therapies can make you feel better, they really don't address the core problems of ADHD.I came to this site specifically to research biofeedback and ADD. I saw a program about the two the other day and it seemed very interesting.

They claimed that biofeedback forces the ADD patient to use their frontal lobe which in turn changes the seretonin level "naturally" instead of through medication.

In particular they talked about how the treatment greatly helped problems with impulsivity. I'm 44 and have been medicated for ADD for nearly 10 years. I have the majority of the symptoms under control, but the one thing that escapes me is the impulse to react to certain traffic situations. The feeling I get when I react impulsively to traffic situations is the same as the feeling I used to get when frustrated in other situations such as in the classroom that's why I believe it is ADD related.

JBLMk3
12-20-06, 02:02 PM
I have used Play Attention with my son and I must say that there were many noted improvements. Impulsivity being one. With the Session Rating Scale you can make notes on impulsive movements and many other things. This information is then submitted to their staff and evaluated and you get the results. Their staff really goes all out to help you, too. It works great, I like it anyway. I found it through a newer looking site called attentiondeficitsolution.com.