View Full Version : Books with tools to takle ADD as an adult?

jk252b
12-06-06, 05:57 PM
I am a 25 year old male who was first diagnosed with ADD when I was 14. I was on Ritalin throught high school and college, but basically discontinued its use after I left school (while it took a while to find the right dosage, I eventually settled on 15mg 3x/day).

During high school I was pretty passive about my ADD -- just took my ritalin and did what I needed to do to get by, but never did very well. College was a little bit better and I found some academic areas where I excelled, but still I never took the time to learn about what ADD really was, how it effected others, and was I could deal with it.

Now I'm getting ready to go back to school, to pursue my Masters Degree. I have matured a lot in the years since even college, and am ready to take a proactive approach to dealing with my ADD and hope to learn how to develop strategies and mechanisms for surviving graduate studies.

The point of all this is that I am looking for books that I can read that suggest such strategies and mechanisms for ADD people in "traditional" non-ADD friendly environement (I am hoping to attend MIT next year!). I am currently reading "Learing Outside the Lines" by Moody and Cole and think it's great and has some useful tools. Books along this line are great.

What I'm not looking for are books that: suggest alternative "non-medication" treatments, pontificate without providing useful tools, or are written in ways not accissble to ADD-type minds.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm glad I found this site and plan to contribute regularly now!

jk252b
12-06-06, 09:35 PM
Of course by "takle" I do mean "tackle". Sorry.

tpilgrim
12-07-06, 09:29 AM
Everyone on this forum needs to check out the "davinci method" This book has shed new light on my so-called "issues". I have come to realize that add and adhd is a result of repressing our creative genius to try to fit in with the other 90% of the world population. You see we have a genetic gift, this is the drd4 exon genetic mutation. It is a gift not a hinderance unless never discovered.. Please do yourselves and your loved ones a huge favor and check out this book and read it all over and over until you figure out what it is that you need to do to channel this uncontrolable creative energy... This will help. I am living proof!!