View Full Version : ADD/ADHD books

mbj0680
12-11-06, 03:10 PM
Hi Everyone

What are some good books to get for ADD/ADHD? I got it bad and would like to do more research on it and explore options. I have seen a doctor and don't want to take meds unless I have too. Not opposed to it, but would like to see what else I can do before we go that route.

Thanks,

-Mark

njtrout
12-12-06, 10:05 PM
Hi Everyone

What are some good books to get for ADD/ADHD? I got it bad and would like to do more research on it and explore options. I have seen a doctor and don't want to take meds unless I have too. Not opposed to it, but would like to see what else I can do before we go that route.

Thanks,

-MarkMark,

I'm newly diagnosed with ADD. I've read Delivered from Distraction by Edward M Hallowell, M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D.. This is the updated version of Driven to Distraction. I read the book in a couple of days. It is that good. My wife is reading it and I've recommended it to my family to read as well.

For my second book on ADD I am reading You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. Lots more day-to-day advice on for the adult with ADD.

You'll also get a couple of book's worth of knowledge by reading and keeping up with this forum

NJTrout

mbj0680
12-13-06, 01:18 PM
NJTrout

Thanks for the titles, I will check them out.

Thanks,

MJ

Scattered
12-13-06, 01:27 PM
A book that has helped me a lot is called Mastering Your Adult ADHD by Safren, Sprich, etc -- it's a cognitive behavioral workbook for ADDers that has research backing up it's effectiveness. I can't take meds anymore because I developed tics and this books has really helped me with the practical stuff in dealing with ADD.

Delivered from Distraction is a great book -- one of the things it discusses is the role of exercise. It would be hard to overstate the value of exercise for an ADDer, especially if you go the non medication route. One of the authors John Ratey has a course coming up that discusses the role of exercise and is also in the process of writing a book.

Dr. John Ratey teaches about a new and amazing area of medicine. Did you know that certain types of exercise actually cause your brain to grow? Exercise can:

ready the brain for learning and improve academic performance
decrease anxiety
treat depression more effectively than Zoloft
improve focus
improve long-term memory

Find out the how and why in this fascinating course. It is given by phone at 8:00pm six consecutive Mondays, beginning March 5th. Tuition is $385

This course was given in October and November and the participants were blown away by the information and its immediate relevance in their schools and towns. Don't miss this opportunity!

To Register for Courses (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=76dzu9bab.0.txg8u9bab.ks5xjrbab.9092&ts=S0217&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allaboutminds.com%2Fshop%2F)

Scattered

Lunacie
12-13-06, 01:55 PM
Mark,

I'm newly diagnosed with ADD. I've read Delivered from Distraction by Edward M Hallowell, M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D.. This is the updated version of Driven to Distraction. I read the book in a couple of days. It is that good. My wife is reading it and I've recommended it to my family to read as well.

For my second book on ADD I am reading You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. Lots more day-to-day advice on for the adult with ADD.

You'll also get a couple of book's worth of knowledge by reading and keeping up with this forum

NJTrout
Those are the three top books on my list as well. Number 4 is "Women With Attention Deficit Disorder" by Sari Solden. Which would probably only benefit the OP if he is living with a woman or girl with ADD. ;)

mbj0680
12-18-06, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the list of books everyone.

If you haven't read this book, it is a good one to have on the shelf. This is the first one I have read and it's not bad:

"Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with ADHD" by Lenard Adler and Mari Florence.

It has a lot of general information on ADD/ADHD.

Thanks,

MJ

Skully
12-25-06, 10:39 AM
Santa just brought me a book called "Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms & Post-its." by Terry Matlen. I can't wait to start reading it! Not sure if you are female or not, but there are hundreds of tips in the book.

zoneout
12-28-06, 03:04 PM
Books I can recommend to you..

1) Delivered From Distraction (best of the Hallowell/Ratey series)
2) You Mean I'm Not Lazy Stupid Crazy (get the revised 2nd edition)
3) Healing ADD by Dr Amen (a jaw-dropping book that removes all doubt about ADD its causes and effects)
4) Attention Deficit Disorder by Thomas Brown (the best written and most authoritative book on the subject)

Books I cannot recommend...

1) Scattered Minds (poorly written but chapter on latest med therapies is somewhat redeeming)
2) Understanding Women with ADHD (it's a disappointing hodge-podge compendium of works by various authors. The chapter on CFS/Fibromyalgia - ADD link could have and should have been a milestone work that catapulted the book and the authors to world recognition but they totally dropped the ball and missed a golden opportunity).

mbj0680
01-02-07, 11:57 AM
zoneout,

Thanks for the list. I appreciate it. I just got done reading 'Scattered Minds', and you are right it was poorly written. Good recourses in the back, but I didn't like how they switched from topic to case study to bulleted information, back to topic and so forth.

mbj0680
01-02-07, 12:05 PM
msam76
</O:p
<O:pNo I am not a female. Did you have a chance to read the book? If so how was it?</O:p

zoneout
01-02-07, 05:48 PM
zoneout,

Thanks for the list. I appreciate it. I just got done reading 'Scattered Minds', and you are right it was poorly written. Good recourses in the back, but I didn't like how they switched from topic to case study to bulleted information, back to topic and so forth.
Mbj,

If you are looking for alternative therapies I think all 4 of the books I recommend cover that topic but I believe Dr Amen's book is the most in-depth. Good luck!

mbj0680
01-03-07, 11:34 AM
zoneout,

Thanks for the heads up with the book by Dr Amen. I ordered all 4 books you recommended yesterday from the library.

-MJ

BMONEY
01-27-07, 09:20 PM
Adler is the truth. REAL TALK ONLY.

I was a patient of his.

zoneout
01-27-07, 10:39 PM
Adler is the truth. REAL TALK ONLY.

I was a patient of his.
I have no doubt Adler knows alot about ADD and he may even be a great doc as you say. It's just that the book "Scattered Minds" leaves alot to be desired especially when compared against some of the other good books on the topic.

katiegbg
01-31-07, 04:36 PM
Hi, I've read most of the books discussed so far - they all are pretty good but for newly diagnosed or those who want a down to earth straight forward discussion of ADD a new book I've read is "Pay Attention" by Craig Liden, M.D. , there is a website - www.translationspress.com that has all of the info and some descsriptions.

mbj0680
01-31-07, 04:43 PM
katiegbg,

Hi, I've read most of the books discussed so far

Which ones did you like the best out of all of them?

Thanks,

-Mark