View Full Version : Notes, and orginization. adivice?

Vhan
12-14-06, 12:34 AM
There has been one thing that has haunted my school grades since preschool.

Binder Check.

O yea yea, its supposed to be the "easy grade", but so is the old "bringing in a box of tisshue for a grade" trick.

I'm not really shure what my english teacher thinks when she opens my binder and finds eveything from my math homework, to a paper cut-out mask of a turkey, but all I know is that my math teacher is gonna ask me were my homework is, and "the english teacher has is" really isn't a good answer.

Anywere a piece of paper can be, it is, binders inside of binders, shoved in books, in pockets, in backpack etc.

Trying to find those notes that I need is a challange in itself...

Can anyone give me some advice on keeping myself orginized? There must be some little tricks that I haven't quite found out yet, I have tried a few things, and through a great, and epic battle of will, and mind, a struggle that lasted about 45 minutes, the only thing I can really say is "post-it notes, are a total ripoff"...

Yes, that is the extent of my great know-how.:eyebrow:

Any advice on writeing better notes would be appriciated too!

brittalitt
03-14-07, 06:27 PM
Ditto on the post-it's haha i lost mine, but organizational skills (these worked for me so they're just suggestions)
1. Three-ring, white binders with clear pockets on the front and back, really helpful you can stick anything in the clear pockets without having to open them, or you can label them for that certain class.
2. Buy a three-ring hole puncher and dividers with tabs, hole punch everything and stick it into the binder divider it goes into.. i.e. homework, tests, quizzes, notes, refrence sheets etc...
3. When you get home, or if you ride the bus take ten to fifteen minutes and organize your bookbag, put things in their proper place and whatnot. It becomes a habit and not a task if you keep up with it.
Notes:
I always end up taking two sets of notes, one thats taken in class from the over-head, projector, or the teacher talking, and i go back and re-write them editing out the things that don't need to be in there and always have that book so you can read the book and take out important dates, formulas, vocabulary.
and an extra bonus to taking two sets of notes is having it in your mind more than once

auntchris
03-31-07, 12:04 PM
I also found plastic folder have tab and one pocket . the com in vibrant colors . I love them .

I am in college and I put my syllabus in that pocket so I know where my assignments are. I then color code my folder with that color folder...

I have a green folder for math... and a green plactic folder for the syllabus...

My history is blue

and so on...

You can also do that with your books,

if you book is mainly blue get a blue folder and spiral binder for that class.

what ever way works best for you.

chasesmom
07-26-07, 09:12 AM
I just bought my son a folder that has 8 different pockets. One folder with the 8 pockets all connected...I am hoping that he will be able to sort things into that as he gets them, and I will help him to decide if it is something he needs to keep each night after homework. He is 11, going into middle school, 6th grade.

Paige1989
08-09-07, 07:24 PM
I'm going into my Senior year of High School and I /still/ haven't figured out organisation. Every quarter, I reogranise my locker, binders, and desk area and a week later, it's like I didn't do a thing...I was using big trapper-keeper binders, the ones with zippers, but this year I'm using regular binders in hopes that it'll help a little because I'll have to put the papers in the binders via three rings...I also bought one of those expander files with multiple folders inside and it helps to a degree to keep my homework in...

livinginchaos
08-10-07, 10:18 PM
know what i LOVED for homework??

the tabs (to separate subjects) with pockets in them. I put the homework in to bring home and put it back in there when done.
I still love and use them at work :)

ProcrastN8R2
08-11-07, 12:02 AM
I find that I need a separate notebook for each subject or project. I do not like to have notes and things for one project mixed up with another. I keep separate notepads for each project too. I like legal style paper pads, not spiral bound notebooks, and as I take notes for the project or whatever, I just keep flipping the pages over the top. I've been out of school for a long time, but I did the same thing then (in college that is - in high school I had no organization whatsoever).

I also did what was suggested in one of the posts above - I took notes in class and then re-wrote them later. I would clean them up, edit, and organize the content. I would re-write the random phrases I jotted down in class in complete sentences and add whatever detail I could remember from the class. By the time I did all that, I didn't really need to study my notes much after that, and I was able to stay focused on the task of re-writing because I was producing a tangible product at the end, unlike just trying to memorize stuff. I was so proud of those neat and tidy re-written notes from my college years that I still have them (in their individual binders!)

P. S. Taking notes in class was the way I stayed focused on what was happening. Today, I take notes in meetings at work for the same reason. I am famous for covering page after page with my notes during meetings. Lots of my coworkers make photocopies of my notes after meetings. Apparently, I'm not the only one whose mind wanders!

Once, I was taking notes during a presentation from a vendor - he was talking very fast, I was writing very fast, he talked faster, I wrote faster, and finally he said, I can't believe how fast you can write!

Of course reading it later is a problem, ergo, re-writing my notes!

Paws13
08-11-07, 01:17 AM
There has been one thing that has haunted my school grades since preschool.

Binder Check.

O yea yea, its supposed to be the "easy grade", but so is the old "bringing in a box of tisshue for a grade" trick.

I'm not really shure what my english teacher thinks when she opens my binder and finds eveything from my math homework, to a paper cut-out mask of a turkey, but all I know is that my math teacher is gonna ask me were my homework is, and "the english teacher has is" really isn't a good answer.

Anywere a piece of paper can be, it is, binders inside of binders, shoved in books, in pockets, in backpack etc.

Trying to find those notes that I need is a challange in itself...
When I took Spanish I in 9th grade, my spanish teacher made us do binders too. It was a nightmare for both of us.

I kept my papers everywhere, and couldn't keep track of them. So when she would collect them, I'd have all these papers missing and fail.

Wait a minutes why am I speaking in past tense? This is still happening! But this year I think I'll try some ideas everyone posted above. A new year, a new school, new start.

Marty
08-23-07, 02:20 PM
pfff I get what you're saying. I am also not the greatest in those stuff. what helps is that I have a big desk. I try to keep my stuff organized by making sure I put it away in a serten spot after I've used it. but you know how that goes....