View Full Version : New to the Board; son has TS and OCD

Eileen N.
12-15-06, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone, My son is 17 and was diagnosed with TS and OCD when he was 10. He's been on several different medications and right now is on Prozac for the OCD, Strattera for ADHD, and just started Guanfacine (Tenex) for the TS. He seems to be sleeping a lot, and I'm not sure if it's the Guanfacine, since he just started taking it. He's been on about 5 or 6 different meds for the TS, because it's just been so hard for him to control it. The TS has affected his life so much - he goes to school all day and supresses the tics, then comes home and is exhausted. I'm praying that he'll be one of these kids whose tics start to decrease as he gets older. Thanks for listening.

Crazy~Feet
12-15-06, 12:26 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/kzrainbow/welcomepink.png

I am glad you found us :).

dedicatedto8
12-17-06, 08:41 PM
My son has OCD as well. My son was on Strattera and it worked for awhile and then it made him sick. He now takes valum at night to help him sleep. When that doesn't work he takes hadol. All of it stinks if you ask me. We just sit up at night sometimes and when he wakes up we work through it.

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 08:31 PM
If he holds them in too much, they won't decrease as he gets older.
Its like trying to plug the holes in a leaky boat, you plug one hole and it will come out another and it just gets worse from there. The tension will keep building and might lead to explosions at home or worse, self mutilation. I understand he's at school and needs to not be disruptive, but he needs to find a way to get that tension out. Get a stress ball and tell him to squeeze it when he gets the urge to tic (if you haven't done so already)

If he has OCD thats another huge tension builder. Not only is he trying to hold back compulsions, but there are so many thoughts going on in his brain that its just shutting down when he gets home. When you ask yourself in your head "Does anyone notice" you probably hear that once or twice...he might hear it over and over for hours in his head. Thats a whole lot of pressure and tension weighing down on him.