View Full Version : Oral Presentation

Claudia_0102
12-15-06, 09:45 PM
In math we were given an assignment. The assignment was to interview someone to see how they use math on the job.I had to do a 500 word write up and have two example math problems plus pictures on the poster. I interviewed my dad,he's a long distance truck driver. Well on tuesday i have to do an oral presentation on my project in front of the whole class. The problem is,i'm super terrified of oral presentations and i have a fear of sharing my work with other kids. Not that i did a bad job on it,i think i actually did a pretty good job but i'm still terrified.

Does anyone have any advice for me? :(

VisualImagery
12-16-06, 06:12 AM
There is the Classic, and it does help, trust me! Picture everyone you are talking to in their underwear, or with major bedhead, or toilet paper stuck their shoe, or walking into a wall. Something that makes them very human. It lessens the intimidation you feel. Remember, they are as nervous as you when they give their presentations! This is very common for all people-including people with ADD!

You will do a great job!
RADD

boone1
12-16-06, 01:17 PM
I don't really know how to give you any advice on this, all I can say is I understand your problem.

RADDs advice really does work. I do it all the time, sometimes it makes me laugh though. :D

Another thing I do is just put on a front and pretend im not myself and that I am a good speaker and I pretty much act. That usually does the trick for me. Although it might not help everyone.

Good luck. :D

Paws13
12-18-06, 09:16 PM
Personally, I'm not that afraid to speak in public... unless it's in front of a class. Strange thing, really.

This is very crazy advice, and it's suggested in Finding Nemo, but it works for people. Just think happy thoughts! Seriously, because then you'll be able to focus better. I do it all the time.

QueensU_girl
12-18-06, 11:00 PM
Master your pacing, breathing and eye contact with others.

We tend to hold our breath when we are stressed. Then we get short of breath and that escalates our stress.

Practice A LOT, and then in front of a friend, or family ahead of time.

tiggy100
12-19-06, 06:15 AM
The more presentations you do, the more you will get used to them. I know a university lecturer who told me that lecturing and presenting is merely an 'act'. When I do presentations, I become a different person. I look to the back of the room, over the heads of all the students and 'act' like I'm confident, speaking clearly and slowly.
make sure you have practiced what you are reading, just incase you get questions afterwards but don't be afraid to say you don't know the answers (I sometimes say that I didn't research a topic, but should have done, or maybe turn the question around and ask THEM what they think)
Have a printed out sheet, highlighting the order of your presentation so you don't lose your place. I print in different colours and that really helps me.
This might sound a bit mad, but I always suck a mint or hard sweet whilst waiting my turn. I keep it under my tongue (as it wouldn't look good to be eating) but it stops my mouth from going dry which always happens when I'm nervous and having a dry mouth stops me from talking clearly.
Practice loads, in front of a mirror, in front of your friends, anywhere. Try to get used to the sound of your own voice.
Good luck!

Claudia_0102
12-20-06, 04:23 PM
Thanks alot guys.

livinginchaos
12-21-06, 10:16 PM
Let us know how it goes, Claudia!