View Full Version : my sweet son

dedicatedto8
12-17-06, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to the sight. My son has tourettes. He is almost 13 and hasn't been on meds in awhile because well, they don't always work and what worked one month makes him sick the next. We are having a rough time right now, I don't know if it is hormones or what but he has like 7 tics going on at once and some vocal ones as well. It hurts me cause I know other people look at him wondering what is wrong with him. The school called one day thinking he was having a seizure. I am hoping to hear from others going through the same things.
Jess

speedo
12-17-06, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the forums. I don't have TS, but I thought I'd just welcome you. We do have some people here who have TS along with their ADHD. We also have some parents of children with TS. I think you will find this forum to be supportive.

ME :D

Crazygirl79
01-05-07, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the forums and I have very mild tics too and I'm not medicated for them and given the age it could be puberty that's possibly making the tics stand out?!

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 08:21 PM
Puberty is a very hard time for people with tourettes.
If he holds it in, it will get worse when he decides to release the compulsion.
When I was in school, I had to get special permission from the teachers to let me doodle on paper in class because it was the only thing that would stop me from tic-ing in class or having a melt down. TS people are often good at multitasking so it probably wouldn't affect his school work. I would just doodle about what the teacher was talking about and I didn't fall behind at all.

The thing about tourettes is, its a compulsion to do these things.
We can hold it in, but like I said it will make it worse. However "diversion" is possible sometimes. People with TS are often very smart, and when they get bored, they get agitated and the tics start. Before my parents understood all the details, they would get mad because I rarely displayed any motor tics when I was on the computer, other than chewing on my hand. They thought I was faking it until they found out the damage I did to my back from neck tics.