View Full Version : Evaluating medication effectiveness in class

m1229
12-18-06, 06:00 PM
I am the mother of a 2nd grader, newly diagnosed ADD and started on Medication (Adderall 10 mg XR) about 1 month ago. I am struggling to get some solid feedback from her teacher on how she is doing with the medication. I am getting conflicting and rather ambiguous responses when I try to feel what's happening in the classroom. She doesn't seem particular aware of the information that is needed to evaluate medication effectiveness despite my asking specific questions. I understand the difficulty in trying to observe one particular child in the classroom - but this is the best area to evaluate medication effectiveness. Does anyone know of a simple tool a teacher can use to evaluate ADD issues on a daily basis and the communicate these observations to parents?

QueensU_girl
12-19-06, 01:36 PM
That request is non-specific and vague.

However, that is a very good question. It comes up all the time here, in terms of people themselves wondering IF their meds are working.

Medication can make some things better and some things worse.

==============================================

Maybe give her a symptom and deficit list and ask her to comment.

eg

The List: (add whatever else you want)

'irritability'
'inattention'
'sleepiness'
'talks too much/too little'
'peer interaction'
'short term memory'/memory for instructions
'ability to stay 'ON TASK'
'ability to read instructions'
'hyperactivity' (if applicable)
'mood'
'tearfulness' (if applicable)
'aggression' (if applicable)
'frustration tolerance/giving up on a task'
'stomachaches'
'headaches'
'how does the child say they feel?' (some kids feel angry on meds, or get stomach aches or other SEs.)

also

Ask the child 'how are you feeling when you take the medicine?"; 'How do you feel when you do not take the medicine or when it wears off?"

"How is your schoolwork completion going on medicine?"

etc etc

Some of this you can do yourself, too. For example, after reading something or working on a homework problem, have the child do a "return demonstration" (eg he teaches you what he just learned).

VisualImagery
01-13-07, 02:12 AM
Second graders may not understand "eduspeak." Find words that she will understand and be able to respond to.

Daily observations are probably too frequent-once a week will give the teacher time to give you a broader picture of the effectiveness of the medication and her academic performance, peer interaction, and ability to stay on task, and follow classroom rules, policies and procedures.

Hope this helps.