View Full Version : My ADD Update after Dr. APPT

roseanne
12-19-06, 08:28 AM
I copied and pasted this from the housecleaning chore or torture thread because I wanted everyone to read it:

Hi just wanted to let you know I finally bit the bullet and came out of my fear of talking to the dr about my ADD. I was afraid she wouldn't believe me but I guess having an ADD daughter was good proof plus I was armed with a list of symptoms a mile long. She said she was proud of me because it looked like I thought this out a lot and was ready for a change. AMEN to that!! So...I am now on Ritalin (generic form) I started taking it yesterday afternoon because I had a party to go to and I was nervous as a cat about it. So between 3:30 and almost 7, I got two of my crochet projects finished that I had been putting off, I wrapped 4 presents and got ready for the party. All without freaking out or panicking about the time. I looked great, everyone at the party was nice and my husband had a great time.

Today will be my first full day with my medicine. I'm taking 10 mg. 1-2 pills 3Xday. She said if I didn't need the third dose I could skip it. I have it bad. My 11 yo daughter is mad at me because I told her that I passed it down to her. So I see some hope ahead.

Kiisethwa- I couldn't believe the difference. Especially when my medicine started wearing off towards the end of the company Christmas party and after I got home. I started fidgeting at the party and by the time I got home I was completely hyper and giggling with my teenage daughter. She said the times I'm going to be off my medicine I'm going to be worse than I was lol...oh well at least I feel in control now.

Maybe I can get this house cleaned up now! Wish me luck!!!!! And good luck to you with your dr. appt.

Love,
Roseanne

Kiisethwa
12-19-06, 01:04 PM
Wow..thanks for the report & I hope to get some good news tomorrow at my appt.

I took 1/2 of a friend's Ritalyn once & realized how FOCUSED I was - esp. during conversations where I normally would've zoned out within the first 45 seconds...

I DO have one question: With ANY of the ADHD/ADD prescriptions, do you experience a "coming DOWN" time? I don't want to feel like I'm coming off of meth or something :(

speedo
12-19-06, 08:24 PM
It's more like a rebound than a "coming down". I just get more hyper when my meds wear off. Being careful of when you take your meds makes a big dofference in this regard.

Me :D

roseanne
12-20-06, 06:25 AM
What speedo says is true. I tend to become more hyper after my 4 hours of meds is up. I can really tell when it's wearing off. I got my crochet area organized and my dining room cleaned up. I had piles of laundry all over one end of the room with kids stuff mixed in and all kinds of things. summer clothes also. I got bags and started tossing and folding. It looks good now. I notice the things I used to walk by and ignore now seem to bother me...like my daughter leaving her hamburger wrapper and cup by my computer. I actually threw it away today instead of ignoring it or working around it. Big difference so far. I'm excited and hopeful now.

roseanne
12-27-06, 05:36 AM
Here's my latest update. My meds are working really good still. The only problem is I work nights and so I take the majority of them at night so that I can sleep during the day. But I start taking them when I wake up aroun 4pm or so and I am able to get things done around the house. I was actually able to get the house presentable for Christmas at least the rooms that would be seen and was actually quite relaxed about it. Usually I am full of anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. I am starting to get some of my crochet projects finished as I had several going that before my diagnosis I couldn't seem to get done.

My family has noticed a big difference in my attitude and actions and that goes a long way with me. I have started carrying around a notebook that I list things I need to do, shopping lists etc and that's working well except there are a few days when I had a cold right before Christmas that I didn't even bother to use my notebook but nothing bad happened because of it.
I guess I thought in the beginning that because I had a diagnosis and was starting the medication that my life would immediately be ok but evidently it is something that takes time as far as the habits and routines go. The meds work soon after I take them but I still find myself doing ADD things or having the urge to do them. I still can't seem to start on my "losing weight" goal but I guess I can't change everything all at once. Will keep trying though.

Roseanne