View Full Version : Do You Get The Giggles For No Obvious Reason?

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-20-06, 10:04 PM
Some times for no apparent reason I will start giggling. I've always wondered do other A.D{H}.D.ers do this or is it just some other quirk in my personality that causes me to giggle sometimes at the most inappropriate times?! :o When I was a kid and did it it was easy for others to dismiss it as childish silliness but I am now an adult and I still have a lot of trouble controlling it sometimes :eek: Is this a little noted symptom of A.D{H}.D or does it have to do with Sensory Integration Disorder? Or both? :eyebrow:

And this is off-topic: I was reading Acronyms and realized that the word "Odd" can also be used to mean Oppositional Defiance Disorder. The 'O-d-d that is in my user name means eccentric, weird...well, Odd-Scrooball!

That's me, Odd-Scrooball :) :cool: [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOrchid] :D ;)

speedo
12-20-06, 10:33 PM
as far as I know giggles have nothing to do with SID.

Maybe you just like to giggle ?

ME :D

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-20-06, 11:01 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkRed] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed] Yeah, giggling is something I do frequently, but at the wrong moment it can be :o and irritating to those within hearing distance. :ee

That's me, Odd-Scrooball :) :cool: :D ;) [FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Crazy~Feet
12-20-06, 11:04 PM
My SID is nothing to giggle about :( honestly. I do giggle randomly and sometimes it escalates into full-blown laughing attacks, then I don't even remember what was so funny in the first place. I blame that bit on the ADHD ;)

fasttalkingmom
12-21-06, 05:51 AM
I do this !! Weird I never thought about why.

I sometimes will be shopping or driving and remember something stupid I did or something I found was funny earlier and start giggling.

bandie08
02-12-07, 09:28 AM
I always laugh at random sounds I think it must be adhd related becauses ADDers are very playful people

Crazygirl79
02-13-07, 05:56 AM
I burst into fits of giggles for no reason at times but I don't feel it has really anything to do with SID

MJwatson
06-15-08, 02:14 PM
I do this all the time...especially during quiet times or when I/m supposed to be serious! I don't have SID though..:)

Imnapl
06-15-08, 04:23 PM
Impulsivity and giggling go together.

LeeAnne
06-20-08, 08:27 AM
I giggle at weird stuff. I think nervousness triggers it. If I am in a big crowd my thoughts tend to wander, and then I just think of something weird and start chuckling to myself. I think 'normal' people do this too though.

I giggle when I am really stressed.

HitAndRun
06-20-08, 10:29 AM
Yea
often.
though i dont agree with the term "giggle"
"chuckling" I can deal with.

DLM3
03-20-09, 03:11 PM
Yes,
I have done this my whole life and it can be embarassing especially when you are in meetings. I will think of something funny that I have done or I will think of a prank I would like to do on one of my co-workers. When I am on meds., it kind of takes the giggles out of me.

chellechelle
03-20-09, 04:08 PM
oh only all the time :)

scarygreengiant
03-20-09, 04:21 PM
Sometimes I start to giggle if I'm daydreaming about something funny and people wonder why I'm laughing.

Infinity
03-22-09, 01:21 AM
When I was in grade school I would laugh out of control. the more I tried to control it the worse it got. Kinda laughing about not bieng able to stop .

I used to laugh when I was nervous or something was very uncomfortable.

The first time I tried sitting in a zendo with a few other people It hit me in a big way and had to leave the room .

Now I laugh at the double meaning of words that come to me . For instance. One Sunday while In church I was singing "angels prostate falls" which had me laughing very hard and my "then" boy friend soon followed. :o

Sometimes I laugh so hard I feel drugged . It's a wonderful feeling actually.

Infinity.:D

VanReal
03-22-09, 02:57 PM
Oh boy! I giggle and smile when responding to emails at work when I think I'm being clever or witty. It's so nice when someone walks in and sees me smiling and giggling while typing an email. I also think of things and laugh out loud from my office, the girls in the other offices are always saying "what are you doing back there"? Embarassing! I've just learned to say "I crack myself up" and leave it at that.

My son and I will find something funny in a movie or on tv or something someone says and then blow it completely out of porportion and laugh for minutes straight! No one around ever gets out humor but we don't care. It provides us with plenty of fun inside jokes for later, kind of our own language.

stef
03-22-09, 03:06 PM
I'm kind of quiet but it happens sometimes!
I also have this same humor relationship with my son; it started when he was pretty little. We were on the bus and this littler kid wanted to say "I don't know, the cat's got my tongue" but instead, he said, I don't know, I have a cat's tongue." (je donne ma langue au chat / j'ai une langue de chat) .we still watch bad movies very poorly dubbed into french and crack up over the stupid dialogues.

RedSkittles
03-27-09, 12:34 AM
lol yes! I'll look like such a dork... sometimes in class i think of something funny that happened like, a year ago and start balling out in laughter while everyone is reading or there''s dead air. the teacher is like "Katie, do mind telling me what is so funny?" and I laughed harder.

wsmac
07-25-09, 04:46 AM
Yep, another giggler here.
Sometimes when I was young, I could get my sister going also and we'd drive our mother crazy at the dinner table. She'd make us take our dinner to the kitchen, so they could eat in peace. We usually weren't giggling at anything in particular.

But I do this still and if I do it around people, they aren't usually sure what I'm laughing at.
It's worse if I do it when something not so great/nice has happened or has been said.
I come off looking like an insincere person.

fabulous
01-16-11, 07:05 PM
I'll randomly start giggling (over something small, or nothing in particular), and it tends to grow into a laugh-attack kind of deal. A lot of times it's worse when I'm tired.

mythily
01-27-11, 10:43 AM
I cannot believe I am seeing this. I used to think I was the only person in the world who laughed excessively for no apparent reason.

When I was a kid I would have these laughing fits where I laughed at really inappropriate times that probably drove my relatives crazy. I never laughed at the right time. I would understand a joke a bit late, and start laughing which would confuse people. Since my parents weren't able to empathize with me, I would get many lectures about how inappropriate that is. And, I would be laughing at this lecture too. At other times, I would fall off of my chair or lose my balance and lie where ever I am and be paralyzed by these fits for a few minutes, while others stared at me incredulously. Ofcourse, this only made my laughter grow exponentially, adding more hurt to the injury.

As a teenager, these laughter fits became a big problem, because I felt very insecure sometimes, but that didn't stop me from laughing. I tried very hard to suppress my laughing fits. I made constant excuses to release this inconvenient energy out safely. I lost quite a number of friends and acquaintances. And, may I add some more colour to my story and say that I was painfully shy even though I was relatively easy going. I started analyzing what I was thinking and realized that only made things worse. I started distracting myself by thinking about something else, and eventually found that worked sometimes.

As an adult now, I still find myself laughing out. I am more able to control how much laugh. Most of the times, my smiles has a whole another twist, for I need them to conceal my chuckling. It is easy for people who know me to detect when I am fake smiling or laughing. Even today, this quirk becomes an issue because of some sensitive people who have the need to analyze the reasons which in my opinion is unnecessary and actually harmful if they realized the truth. A real breakthrough was when I was able to dissect my thoughts to the holy grail of thoughts that made me laugh. And, I find this to be a spiritual experience most of the times. It is difficult to explain, but things I find myself laughing about are relatively tragic to talk about with most people because of societal baggage and expectations. But, I found a few friends I can genuinely can share with. Sometimes, I am able to spread the laughter to complete strangers by doing weird things. Sometimes, guys misunderstand this odd behavior as hitting on them. Whatever the consequences I have learned to treat this as a gift. Even though I face severe adhd related drawbacks everyday, I dub myself to be the happiest person in the world.

hypergirl96
01-27-11, 10:54 AM
i do this all the time and no one else does. they think im totall weird. i have bo idea why. can totally relate. lol :D

hypergirl96
01-27-11, 10:59 AM
I cannot believe I am seeing this. I used to think I was the only person in the world who laughed excessively for no apparent reason.

When I was a kid I would have these laughing fits where I laughed at really inappropriate times that probably drove my relatives crazy. I never laughed at the right time. I would understand a joke a bit late, and start laughing which would confuse people. Since my parents weren't able to empathize with me, I would get many lectures about how inappropriate that is. And, I would be laughing at this lecture too. At other times, I would fall off of my chair or lose my balance and lie where ever I am and be paralyzed by these fits for a few minutes, while others stared at me incredulously. Ofcourse, this only made my laughter grow exponentially, adding more hurt to the injury.

that's me all over! i even laughed at the end of west siden story and felt terrible. i can never take anyone or anything seriously and i just start laughing. this is really bad when my parents, teachers, or friends are trying to punish me. they think im trying to undermine their authority. can totally relate :D

dang! i thout i was the only one who had it this bad. glad to hear otherwise. lol :D

is there some add reason this happens? maybe we see something othets dont that makes us act this way? any ideas here?

hypergirl96
01-27-11, 11:05 AM
lol yes! I'll look like such a dork... sometimes in class i think of something funny that happened like, a year ago and start balling out in laughter while everyone is reading or there''s dead air. the teacher is like "Katie, do mind telling me what is so funny?" and I laughed harder.

the same goes for me. lol. :D i sometimes laugh when somethig bad happens and feel horrible. like when this kid was telling this a really sad story about something that happened to him, i was trying, and failing to not snicer and burst out laughing. then everyonwes faces only prompted me to laugh more. and once, on the bus, i was overtired from three weeks of not nearly enough sleep, i busrt out luaghing i]hysterically for no reason. then everyone staring at me made me laugh so much more that i almost couldnt brweathe. this went on for a whole five minuttes. and then i just stated giggling at random intervals the rest of the time.

mythily
01-27-11, 02:42 PM
is there some add reason this happens? maybe we see something othets dont that makes us act this way? any ideas here?

I just found out today that there are other ADDers who have the same laughing issue. I don't know of any scientific reason (ie neurological) why we do this. But, I have often speculated why...

Let me give you some of my crazy observations which end up being pretty metaphysical...
1. There is something almost child-like in the way I laugh. I find most people's laughter to be kind of pretentious and painful to watch when compared to the way I laugh and why I laugh.
2. It's a cathartic experience. I laugh even when I am really angry. I feel I am somehow facing things that people usually fear or hold as taboos. Basically it goes against many traditional beliefs. That's why we are led to feel embarrassed when we laugh at 'inappropriate' situations, right.
3. Looking at it philosophically, good and bad are just societal concepts (or any opposites for that matter). And I guess we intuitively understand those paradoxes, and release out that energy through laughter.

When you learn how to channel it (just like ADD), it will be a boon! Just forgive yourself when you laugh at inappropriate times rather than beat yourself up.

the same goes for me. lol. :D i sometimes laugh when somethig bad happens and feel horrible. like when this kid was telling this a really sad story about something that happened to him, i was trying, and failing to not snicer and burst out laughing. then everyonwes faces only prompted me to laugh more. and once, on the bus, i was overtired from three weeks of not nearly enough sleep, i busrt out luaghing i]hysterically for no reason. then everyone staring at me made me laugh so much more that i almost couldnt brweathe. this went on for a whole five minuttes. and then i just stated giggling at random intervals the rest of the time.

WoW!!! same here :) :o :p

Sandy4957
01-27-11, 03:22 PM
Ok, I realize that this is an old thread, but it's just so perfect that I have to use it to tell this story...

Yes, I laugh uncontrollably sometimes at things that other people do not find to be all that funny. And I suppose that I should be embarrassed, but frankly, I think everyone else is missing out.

Case in point.

I'm in college, taking an anthropology course. The professor is an interesting sort of character, but he has an even more interesting student who he occasionally allows to teach the class. Now, mind you, this is a college, not a university, so this student teacher isn't a grad student. He's one of our peers.

The guy is an unbelievable nerd. In a school that prides itself on its nerddome, this guy is still off the charts. He's 5-8 or so, maybe 110 lbs, complete skin and bones, thick glasses, HUGE wild pile of hair on his head that makes him look very much like a Q-tip. And he's just the nicest guy on the planet, but he's really, really, REALLY into anthropology, and he's downright encyclopedic in his knowledge of it. (Come to think of it, now in retrospect, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that he had Asperger's, but that was nowhere near radar at the time.)

Ok, so when this guy teaches, he's really enthused about the subject, and he gets off on kind of crazy stuff and drawing on the blackboard, sometimes in great, gorey detail. Like one morning we come in and he has taken an overhead projector (shows you all how old I am) and projected a map of Africa on the chalkboard, and then he's been up for HOURS on a ladder carefully outlining the map (every little nook and cranny) on this 20 foot high chalkboard, so that we have this near-perfect African map drawn in chalk. Whoa! Not totally necessary for the lecture, but cool nonetheless.

Ok, so one morning I'm in the class. I'm sitting in the front row with my gigantic mug of coffee because this is an 8:00 am class and I don't really DO 8:00 am classes very well. I'm in front row 'cause that keeps me focused on the lecture and not little crinkly noises or coughs or what have you (how ADHD was THAT, in retrospect?!) and I've got my bestest buddy girlfriend in the world camped out next to me, coffee mug in hand as well.

The ubernerdy student is teaching this class, and I think the lecture had something to do with evolutionary strategies or something, and he starts getting pretty enthused as he's talking about various strategies, and then he goes off on a little tangent, probably his pet project for a later Ph.D., judging by his knowledge of it. He starts talking about some sort of fly that has evolved to have hooks and hairs on its penis so that when it mates with the female fly it can scoop out the sperm of other flies.

He's getting more and more enthused as he talks about how ingenious this strategy is, and all of a sudden, he's running to the chalkboard, chalk in hand...

And I think to myself, "OMG, tell me he's not about to draw a giant hook-y hairy penis on the board..."

Sure enough, he makes this gigantic swoop for the penis and then starts sketching out the hooks and the hairs (a lot of them) in great gorey detail....

I took one look at my best girlfriend, and the two of us started to snicker. Then tears welled up in our eyes, and then it was OVER. :o I laughed, and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. I snorted. I tried to stifle it and couldn't. I cried. I sucked coffee up my nose. I mean I laughed SO HARD at this that it was hard to imagine ever laughing any harder. And I told him (with the class behind me, probably thinking that I was a real jerk) "I know, this is immature, but that's just about the funniest thing I've ever seen." And he went on teaching (in fact, for some reason, he ended up seeming to like me especially after that 'cause he later asked me out on some sort of date). But I just could not stop laughing.

I laugh 'til I cry EVERY time I THINK about that. :)

anonymouslyadd
01-27-11, 06:22 PM
Sandy, that was like me everyday in sex education 6th grade.

Sandy4957
01-27-11, 06:43 PM
Ha! I know, that's was really a part of why I kept laughing. It was funny that I was such an adolescent about it.

I'm not sure my classmates quite understood that part!!!

We are supposed to be more "childlike" aren't we? Maybe that was a part of it!

anonymouslyadd
01-27-11, 06:56 PM
Ha! I know, that's was really a part of why I kept laughing. It was funny that I was such an adolescent about it.

I'm not sure my classmates quite understood that part!!!

We are supposed to be more "childlike" aren't we? Maybe that was a part of it!

If I took sex education again, I still might laugh as that sixth grader did. I think we're young at heart.