View Full Version : Ah, The holidays are here again.. and still make me want to scream.

loserinamailbox
12-23-06, 06:24 PM
My sensory level must have broken through the roof by now. All these people here are driving me crazy, it's so loud. I have had noise cancelling headphones on all day and now have a tremendous headache from having them on too long. I don't know if I can stand an entire week of this turmoil; my nerves are on fire. I have asked for everyone to quite down, yet nobody seems to be responsive to this.

Any good ideas as to how to get some peace and quiet? This is the very reason why I really don't like this time of year.

speedo
12-23-06, 07:03 PM
I can tell that I am on full-time overload because I'm a little anxious, extra hyper, and I keep tugging at my clothing. I've been trying to limit my exposure to overload situations, but honestly, this time of year it is hard to do.

Basically, I am staying home and limiting my exposure to crazy things like shopping malls, traffic, etc. I'm having a nice , sedate christmas and I am enjoying it.

I've already cancelled one party attendance in order to avoid overload. Last night I was with a friend in a crowded , noisy restaurant and I told her that I had to leave. It was just too much overload for me. So we went outside and had fun anyway. :) Just take care of you and enjoy the holidays. ! :p

ME :D

Swede63
12-23-06, 07:50 PM
Are you talking about your workplace here? I don't have any concrete advice but I sure do know what you are talking about. I just got home from the mall with my family (4hrs!) and I am in sensory overload (I can still here the piped in christmas carols in my head) We live in a noisy world that's for sure.

I look forward to visiting my mother in northern maine. The silence is deafening!

My sensory level must have broken through the roof by now. All these people here are driving me crazy, it's so loud. I have had noise cancelling headphones on all day and now have a tremendous headache from having them on too long. I don't know if I can stand an entire week of this turmoil; my nerves are on fire. I have asked for everyone to quite down, yet nobody seems to be responsive to this.

Any good ideas as to how to get some peace and quiet? This is the very reason why I really don't like this time of year.

Crazy~Feet
12-23-06, 07:53 PM
I am forced to be social for the sake of my kids. I have to shop and lemme tell ya, stores are filled with horrible bright lighting, strident and mysteriously grating sounds, and sweaty, smelly people :mad: some days I would rather shove a spoon into my ear than deal with this time of year!!

I have had to tie my hair up, so that I do not pull on it (that's what I do when I start to overload) and look like I am going Rain Man in public. At home, let's just say I have severe body reactions to the sensory exposure and just leave it at that ;).

jeaniebug
12-23-06, 10:35 PM
I just got home from the mall with my family (4hrs!) and I am in sensory overload. We live in a noisy world that's for sure.
I agree with the sensory overload. And not being able to find your car, and I hate crowds. It can make me very anxious.

My daughter is hearing impaired, and as a baby, she was the happiest child. I would go to the daycare to pick her up and she would be standing up smiling in a little crib. We got a nanny for her fairly quickly and the gals working at the daycare said to me, "Don't take her, she is the only one who is happy all the time."

At that time we didn't know she was hearing impaired. I sometimes wonder if not hearing loud noises (or very many noises of any kind) made her calmer.

Have you tried those little foam earplugs? Maybe with stereo headphones over the top?

My daughter (now 20) went to Atlanta for Christmas, so I haven't even done much shopping, and I like it like that! Cheers! :D

dormammau2008
01-02-07, 05:21 PM
same here jeny as well hate to meny pepole in crosdwds....etc......

sesony overl;ord...

dorm

Crazygirl79
01-05-07, 06:37 AM
It seems like everyone with SPD or SPD like traits is on OVERLOAD at the moment....SO AM I!!! people think I'm down for all these different reasons...well yes it's partially true but it's the Sensory stuff that's killing me at the moment!!!! and I KNOW what everyone here's going through