View Full Version : Times up, Timer went off.

oddjobace
12-24-06, 12:33 PM
I've learned to put a timer on whem I get in front of the internet and TV I also have watch the time when I get into a bookstore like Borders and Barnes and Noble.

I can litterally lose hours and not even know it.

Has anyone else tried a timer?

LyricallyE
12-24-06, 12:36 PM
I've heard of a timer. The only form of this is when i set alarms on my phone for upcoming events. I might be too timid to use like an egg timer.

Nova
12-24-06, 02:41 PM
I set my mobile alarm (I have a great appropriate song downloaded for that purpose too), for all my upcoming events- one day ahead, and again at 2-3 hours ahead of the scheduled time, on that day (depending on travel time- sometimes it's longer)

I also always set it, when I go into local bookstores, in the area. (0:

Irish Mermaid
12-28-06, 07:15 PM
I'm an on-again/off-again FLY Lady follower, so I often use a timer set to 15 minutes to try and motivate myself to do something (anything) rather than sit around procrastinating. I have a watch with a built-in timer that I virtually never take off so that I always have it available, rather than carrying around a kitchen one. The watch also has three alarms, so I can remind myself of time-specific activities, such as taking meds.

However, that only works for me when I'm doing something I don't really want to do and I know I get to stop when it goes off. It doesn't help me stop when I'm doing something enjoyable - it's far too easy to disregard.

And it doesn't help me stay on track for stuff like getting ready for work in the morning at all. I have a REALLY poor sense of time passing, as well as being very unskilled at estimating how much time something will take. So if I set a timer or alarm clock to go off a few minutes before I need to leave, and then get distracted, it just makes me more stressed and anxious when it rings and I'm not close to ready. Or if I set it to go off in intervals as a reminder, I easily lose track of how many intervals have elapsed, and I still don't stay on track.

I did find a timer that works somewhat better for me personally. It has a count-down function with recurring voice reminders of how much time is left. So if I need to walk out the door at 8:00, I can set it for 45 minutes at 7:15, and get time-specific reminders like "40 minutes remaining" at 7:20, "30 minutes remaining" at 7:30, etc. At 10 minutes, it announces the remaining time every minute, which lends a sense of urgency to getting whatever it is done before it goes off. At the end of the set time, it starts counting up, and telling you how far over the deadline you are.

It's not perfect - I can still get distracted or tune it out, and have been know to turn it off if it annoys me, but in general it does seem to work better for me than non-specific beeping announcing the passage of a pre-set amount of time that means nothing to me in that moment.

I got it out of a medical supply catalogue that caters to the vision and hearing impaired (can't remember the name off the top of my head). It was pretty expensive, as far as timers go. ($12 or $13, plus $6-7 shipping & handling.) But it's been worth it to me, at least when remember to set it and can find it - usually the last place I used it!

jasonkadams
03-08-07, 11:16 PM
I have a similar problem where I can spend literally an ENTIRE day on the internet or in a bookstore and I seriously will not notice. It's seroiusly bad enough where I will forget to eat for the entire day.

Do you set your alarms on the computer? Or a physical alarm in your personal space?

amythyst
03-08-07, 11:32 PM
I think I would liek to try the timer/alarm method fo reminding myself to get on or off certain tasks. I am pretty sure I will need to find a watch with multiple alarm settings, because if it isn't physically attached to me I WILL leave it somewhere.

Swede63
03-08-07, 11:38 PM
I set my mobile alarm (I have a great appropriate song downloaded for that purpose too), for all my upcoming events- one day ahead, and again at 2-3 hours ahead of the scheduled time, on that day (depending on travel time- sometimes it's longer)

I also always set it, when I go into local bookstores, in the area. (0:
Great idea Nova. Beats carrying an egg timer everywhere I go.

Nova
03-10-07, 12:13 AM
It is a cute 'idea', lol !

Allows for illusion of 'human' control over *Time*.

Might as well choose a 'device' that is capable of 'tweaking', in a more 'precise' manner, lol !
If possible...

Great idea Nova. Beats carrying an egg timer everywhere I go.

dormammau2008
03-10-07, 09:14 PM
i think total contorl over time is possble beacuse time was here befor the unervice was in all likely houd an looking from that point view it is possable an the speedlight is not contstinen an if like what sb uk is possable....we are our minds ...then all is possable just neededs though with out pordouxs there really opens things up what your thoughs on this nova sb uk....an all like minded metaer minds smiles

dorm