View Full Version : Cymbalta/Anxiety Disorder's

netsavy006
12-26-06, 01:47 PM
Seemings how the cymbalta website doesn't mention it and I want to avoid bumping topics, I'm openning a new topic w/ a question that may have allready been asked before. If so, give me a link to the thread and I will ask questions as necessary.

Q: Can Cymbalta be used for Anxiety Disorders? I take Zoloft 100mg right now and I don't think its gonna keep working anymore. :( I almost got sick from it :( the first few days w/ zoloft 100mg so I don't want to go higher with it...

JustMe81
01-05-07, 07:43 AM
Hi. I took Cymbalta for a year and a half with pretty good results at 60mg per day. I was also taking Klonopin and Adderall XR at the same time. I'm not sure if Cymbalta would be great on anxiety by itself... but it seemed to really augment the effect of the Klonopin in helping control my anxiety.

Side effects were less than the typical SSRI, less than Effexor as well. I noticed a slight increase in apathy and a small decrease in libido. Overall I thought it helped me a lot in preventing bad rebounds from the Adderall and not obsessing so much. It seemed like a decent AD.

Faylen
01-05-07, 11:15 PM
I've been taking Cymbalta for several months now, and anxiety and hypochondria were two of the specific reasons it was prescribed for me. In my case, it's a miracle drug. I'm not treating my ADD medically, but the Cymbalta has helped my anxiety tremendously, improved my short term memory, and even helped alleviate my back pain. At 60 mg, I felt the flat, blah feeling that many ADs give you, but at 90, I'm feeling a full range of emotions, minus anxiety and depression. It helped quiet down the multiple, simultaneous mental voices that always vied for my attention, too, so it's easier to focus. Negatives I've experienced are a little stomach upset each time the dose went up, I'm getting occasional muscle twitches, but nothing upsetting, sleep disturbance at the beginning and, of course, decreased libido. Some people complain about the vivid dreams, but i've always had those, and the medication has only made my vivid dreams more focused, and they've helped me work out problems a couple of times, so I consider them a good thing.

nzkiwi
01-06-07, 04:02 AM
If you only just recently had a dosage increase the side effects you describe may subside. I would try and give it a few more days. I have used zoloft in the past and it worked well for anxiety. In regards to cymbalta, I believe it increases norepinephrine as well as serotonin. Some people find the potentiation of norepinephrine aggravates their anxiety. However, As the saying goes "One size doesn't fit all".

I would give zoloft a fair shot, unless the side effects continue to be bothersome.

P.S Of all the ssri's, zoloft is believed to negatively effect attention the least. Zoloft has some dopamine re-uptake properties which can negate the negative effect ssri's generally have on attention.:)

Sorry for all the info, don't mean to bore ya.

netsavy006
01-27-07, 08:51 PM
Thank you for your help on this topic. I'm gonna step down the zoloft back to 50mg because I think the 50mg worked the same as the 100mg dosage...

Andy.