View Full Version : What would you do???

Skully
12-28-06, 09:31 PM
I have always had a tendancy to lose important papers at work. My supervisors and co workers put things on my desk and then it is lost. To correct this, I put a file system in place. I have a stepped rack on top of my file cabnet in my cubical with several folders. Each a different color and with each persons name on it. I sent an email explaining that all papers are to be put in the appropriate folder. I even told them what color their folders were.

Here's the problem, my immediate supervisor keeps putting post-its on my desk! Those darn things get stuck to papers I put on my desk and are lost without me even seeing them. I mentioned it to her before, and she said something to the effect she put the post-it so she wouldn't forget it herself. I asked her to put the post-it inside "her" folder and that I check the folders several times a day. BUT, she did the same thing again. When I said something she got snotty with me! I have explained my ADHD and how important it is to me to have a system in place.

So what do I do? Do I send the email out again as a reminder? Do I go to her supervisor? Any other ideas???

Nova
12-28-06, 10:00 PM
M,

Send her the email, (yes again) so you have documentation, that you have mentioned this previously to her.

Don't be rude in it- just explain it like you've stated on here.

Print out a copy, of that email, and keep it at your home (not just on your work PC/hard drive)

I don't think it's an unreasonable request, for you to make of her.

The other option, would be for her to start emailing you, her work requests.
But you will have to remember, to check your work email on a regular basis, if she agrees to that.

At least it's another option.

Best to you !

njtrout
12-29-06, 01:02 AM
While I don't have a good solution, you have again confirmed the absolute useless nature of an office product called Post It Notes or sticky notes or whatever. Bottom line is they stink for all the reasons you mention. They are get lost because of their ability to stick to objects.

If your supervisor has time to write out a sticky note, walk over to your desk and leave it there than he/she has time to send an e-mail or create a task (if you have Outlook) and assign it to you. Shame on him/her for making you look bad.

I would document the situation by sending another e-mail to your supervisor. Save the e-mail, print it (as noted above). If the problem continues, talk to her supervisor and show your documentation. Also write in your daily paper notebook everything as it occurs. Don't forget dates and times.

I am a firm believer in keeping notes on everything at work. In my early years I saw a pattern with all my new managers. As soon as they came back from New Managers School (yes, IBM had those classes) they all began writing down everything every time you met with them. Looked to be the legal CYA paper trail. In reality it is a very good way to keep track of things and if need provide CYA evidence. I have stacks of notebooks and appointment books(prior to voicemail and e-calendaring) in my files. I write down all phone calls, meetings, tasks etc. in my notebook.

NJTrout

steviefranchise
12-29-06, 02:13 AM
Nova hit it right on, email. Also, get a Blackberry if you don't already have one.
I can't imagine my professional life without it...

lunaslobo
12-29-06, 08:53 AM
how about if you get something free standing that she can put the post it notes on and every so often you can transfer them yourself to the correct folder. As much as i have seemed to try in my own life i can not get some people to do things that really help me, so I have to adapt to them. that way all are served. hope this helps.

Nova
12-29-06, 12:38 PM
I made the stupid mistake of buying a three-pack, of Post-Its, to use at home, once.

I bought the neon colored ones, thinking the 'bright' colors, would catch my 'eyes'.

The very first time, I wrote something, on one 'sheet', of one of the packs, I went to remove it, and the entire pack, dropped to the floor, in s...l...o....w motion...

The pack was attached 'accordian style' (for what purpose- I don't freaken know).

All I know is, I threw the whole bunch out.

Trying to figure out which way to write on them, because they stick flippy-floppy- added more stress- and wasn't worth my effort. l0:

Neither was buying any more 'normal' stickin' Post Its.

I just continue to use my small spiral notebook.

I also use a small voice activated tape recorder-but I don't use that all the *time*, since it's capacity is limited.

njtrout
12-29-06, 01:16 PM
I made the stupid mistake of buying a three-pack, of Post-Its, to use at home, once.

I bought the neon colored ones, thinking the 'bright' colors, would catch my 'eyes'.

The very first time, I wrote something, on one 'sheet', of one of the packs, I went to remove it, and the entire pack, dropped to the floor, in s...l...o....w motion...

The pack was attached 'accordian style' (for what purpose- I don't freaken know).

All I know is, I threw the whole bunch out.

Trying to figure out which way to write on them, because they stick flippy-floppy- added more stress- and wasn't worth my effort. l0:

Neither was buying any more 'normal' stickin' Post Its.

I just continue to use my small spiral notebook.

I also use a small voice activated tape recorder-but I don't use that all the *time*, since it's capacity is limited.Nova,

I do use the Post-It Flags a whole lot. Use them to mark pages in trade magazines, professional papers etc. Since they are sandwiched between another page, I've found them to work well. Also use them and a highlighter to mark pages that need signature by someone else.

I usually just shove the post-it note to the back of the desk drawer...they really do stink.

The spiral bound notebook is the way to go for me as well. I buy the best quality one at Staples. Since I have ADD sensory issues the paper has to feel just right under my hand or I cannot use it. Also the paper has to be really white ...some people call me picky. Now I know that it might be an ADD trait I've had all my life. You should see me with pens and pencils. I use mechanical pencils because the regular wood ones make my skin crawl when I hold them. Yes, picky about which hardness of lead to use, prefer blue ink over black and if a pen skips or leaves a blob of ink (usually from being dripped on the tip) it gets thrown right in the garbage.

NJTrout

Skully
12-29-06, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the ideas! Instead of using a spiral note book, I created sheets on my computer (which I print out to use) for all voice messages, outgoing calls, incoming calls, sent/received emails, and notes for the day. I have a files in my desk drawer, one for each day of the month, all twelve months. Each day I pull out the days file and see what I have to do. I file things according to when they are do. If I have something due on February 1, then I put it in Feb. 1 folder. Has worked well for me. I hate post-its to. They really are horrible!