View Full Version : Roll Call - Colorado Attention Deficit Disorder

Tara
12-20-03, 06:22 PM
This is Roll call for members living in Colorado . Please give a brief intro.

Name

Tali
12-27-03, 02:03 PM
I'm alive and living about 15 miles east of Colorado Springs with 3 cats and 2 dogs. Still trying to find a combination of drugs that will help with adhd and depression without making me seem like i am walking in my sleep.

bparker1
05-18-04, 06:09 PM
Hello, I'm Brandon Parker from Denver. I have just been diagnosed with ADD, and am just looking for some support to put all of this in perspective for me.

OttScott
11-23-04, 12:46 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Scott Ott from Colorado Springs (Yeah, impossible to forget... :) ) I am 28 years old (Can't remember half of them tho... :o )
I have recently begun honestly looking at my ADD and realizing it is not something like freckles or baldness as it has been drastically affecting my relationships and capabilities all my life.
I stumbled across this forum on a Google search and was impressed with the mutual support and encouragement given here. I'm usually pretty quiet and don't participate much but I hope to establish some ties here that'll keep me sane and ordered. :D

Look forward to 'talking' to you all,
-Scott Ott

dulouz
12-07-04, 03:09 PM
Hi all, I'm Dave and I'm in Aurora. I'm having a rough go at things now and need to get this whole ADD thing put into a more manageable package.

capt kylos
01-11-05, 06:19 PM
Hi, I'm Kyle from Longmont. ADD has ruled my life for the last thirty years or so, and now it is time for me to rule it!

joltvolta
12-20-05, 03:03 AM
Age ... 24
ADD at age 8 or 9
ADHD at age 24 (college)
Denver, CO

nicksut
01-17-06, 02:12 PM
I am 40 y.o. living in the mountains west of Boulder. Diagnosed with ADHD in 1995. I'm taking Metadate CD 20 mg x2/day which seems to work reasonably well for me. I have been a teacher and a writer... now I'm figuring out what I'm going to do next.

madd
03-18-06, 07:29 PM
Hi, I'm Matthew, I'm 42, just dx'ed, and trying to figure things out. I've been going to ADD support group twice a month through Meetup.com. Come check it out if you want to. http://adultadd.meetup.com/8/

lilyfrog60
01-02-07, 01:14 PM
My name is Erica, live in the Springs, married with a one year old boy. Just diagnosed last week. Not medicated yet and feeling very conflicted, confused, angry, scared, hopefull.....all of that stuff I'm sure most have felt too after being diagnosed late.

missy45
08-07-07, 12:52 PM
Hi, I'm Angie, new to Denver, CO... Diagnosed 6 months, but can't find a doctor in Colorado that prescribes adderall?? Any suggestions? No phys's please. Thanks.

bailee33
10-15-08, 03:54 PM
Hi. I haven't officially been diagnosed with ADD, one therapist thought I was bi-polar/depressed eventhough I've never been able to concentrate, focus, read something once, do one task as a time, forget what I'm saying mid-sentence, procrastinate, and etc. I just graduated with my second degree in Nursing and I've been on Provigil to stay awake but now the patient assistance program ended and I have no insurance and trying to study for my boards and it's not going so well.

I finally broke down and saw a pulmonary dr. thinking I had narolepcey. The dr. thought that I may have some form of it but is unable to diagnose me without a $4,000 sleep test. So...he perscribed me dexedrine barr 10mg and I don't find it doing much of anything. I left the dr. a bunch of messages b/c I am unsure of what exactly how I'm suppose to be feeling. Finally his nurse called back and in a rude voice told me that he was not going to give me anything else.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a Ph.D or really good dr. who would work close with me to find the right perscription and dose? Ideally in my area (Fort Collins) but I would travel to see someone good. I don't have insurance either, but at this point I'm willing to do what I have to.

Thankyou

inghamc
10-21-08, 11:41 AM
Hey there - I'm a 39-yr-old software engineer & Dad of pre-school aged twin girls from Fort Collins. Raising twins, combined with years of layoffs and increased productivity demands at work took away all the extra time it had taken me to barely keep up. A couple years into treatment for depression/anxiety, a doc gave me a copy of Driven to Distraction, and I couldn't believe it had taken 36 years to discover who I was. Unfortunately this knowledge and various scripts haven't made things magically perfect. I'm trying to balance meds/behavior modification with an acceptance of who I am and quest to find situations where I can excel instead of beating myself up (way easier said).

Among the infinite things I've wanted to do someday are start a constructive local support group and blog - I could use all the help & encouragement any of you could offer here.

bailee33
10-21-08, 12:24 PM
Howdy, I'm in FC as well. I've been thinking of trying to find a life coach/ADD coach to help me keep and get things in order. I've never really been organized, thou I thought I was. It's really only been the last 6 months that I've been struggling to deal with uncomfortable situations, be proactive or even try to study b/c it feels like I'm spinning my wheels (cannot focus, concentrate or stay on one topic). Even thou getting my nursing license is the most important thing to me, I feel as if I'm stuck...actually it's really sad, I'm defiantly ashamed for feeling/behaving this way, especially embarassed of fiancee'. Don't get me wrong, he's a great support but doesn't think outside the box enough to understand that i just don't think like him and can plow thru my studies without being distracted (I have not told him about ADD). He doesn't understand how painful it is to try and stay awake, to reread information so often that it takes literally forever to make progress. Ugg

Well, I would be interested in trying to help and get a support/blog going in our area. Thou I feel like I should not commit b/c I literally feel like a flake b/c it's so difficult for me to follow thru with anything lately. Anything that takes away from "my time" I kinda freak out.

cheers

nicki0854
11-09-08, 05:22 AM
Have Inghamc and Bailee33 had any luck (or enough motivation) on getting a support group going? What would be involved?

My user name is nicki0854, so that says my name AND my age. I live in Lakewood. I quit my last job, after being referred to "as dumb as a rock", and sadly, that is how I have felt for a very long time. Upon reflection of all the jobs I have had and quit in the last year and 1/2, I finally put two and two together, and came up with ADD.

I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but after spending as much time as I have on here lately and reading everything, I think that I stumbled on what has profoundly effected everything about me, for all of my life.

I read that people that have been diagnosed with ADD late in life must do the inner work necessary to mourn all the lost time, lost opportunities, and lost relationships, and rework their core sense of themselves as individuals. That helped reading that, because my depression has escalated as I reflected on the lost time, etc. So is mourning the same as depression? I don't want to have to do both.

firstdesserts
01-13-09, 07:44 PM
Just joined in Colorado Springs. I was diagnosed with 'undifferentiated' (not hyperactive) ADD @ '90.

After being not being recommended for re-hire after being laid off recently, and fired from two jobs I had before that, I’ve spent the last four months reading and rereading anything and everything I could on ADD. I checked out every book in the library system even remotely related to ADHD, Autism, Aspurgers. As well, I researched “dyspraxia, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and problems of executive function.” Day and night I spent on the internet surfing for the smallest tidbit of information that might help me effectively overcome at least some aspect of what I’ve suffered from (and I do mean suffered) all my life!

I have at last (after almost 52 years of endless searching) come across Dr. Russell Barkley's description of "Sluggish Cognitive Tempo" (Feb. 2007 UC Berkley M.I.N.D. Institute Distinguished Lecturer Series 6pm).

I have come to this Forum in hopes of finding leads to a method of treatment for this subtype (pimarily inattentive) or non-ADHD syndrome. Failing that, I at least hope to find other people with SCT. As you can imagine, one of the nastiest aspects of SCT is knowing something is wrong with you, not knowing what it is, or how to explain it, all the while forced for the sake of being able to get up in the morning, pretending as though there was nothing wrong! Then there's the added isolation of never having met anyone like myself! (Are we all that good at denial?!)

Religion is for people who want to avoid hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there. - anyone know who said this?

Safora
03-19-09, 11:27 PM
I am a 33 y/o currently living in the Springs. I was recently dxed but can trace the symptoms back as far as I can remember. I started Ritilin 2 weeks ago which seems to be helping some. I am glad to find this site as I don't have many r/l people to talk to about this d/o.

firstdesserts
03-19-09, 11:41 PM
There is a 1st time meeting of a ADHD support group in the Springs on March 27 6:30

http://www.meetup.com/The-Colorado-Springs-Adult-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Group/calendar/9740558/?a=wm1_rsvp
Mar 27
Fri 6:30 PM

<DL class=stats><DT class=statLabel>Location <DD class=meetupLoc>Panera Bread (http://www.meetup.com/The-Colorado-Springs-Adult-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Group/venue/690906/?eventId=9740558&popup=true) <INPUT id=venueName_690906 type=hidden value="Panera Bread">
3110 New Center Pt
Colorado Springs, CO 80922

How to find us
"We will be in the room in the back."
</DD></DL>

<DL class=stats><DT>Who’s coming? <DD class=D_meetupAttendees>9 Yes / 0 Maybe
11 spots left — RSVP deadline: March 27, 2009 3:30 PM
Who organized?
Ruth Willems (http://www.meetup.com/The-Colorado-Springs-Adult-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Group/members/8082329/)
</DD></DL>

starkiller006
10-27-12, 01:38 AM
Hello, everyone. Not sure if anyone is still active here, but my name is Rich. I am 35 and recently found out that I have ADD. It has been a struggle for me, most of my life, as I really feel that I am so inconsistent and can never seem to get anything "Right" in my life. I have however been in a relationship for 10 years and have a good job.

I am here though, because I always have this constant fear that I am going to "mess things up." I can understand things quickly, but I find that I am intimidated easily, and I end up saying things to don't want to say. The result is, that people think I am not that smart. (like my boss). Anyway, I really want to finish college, but before I even start I want to get things figured out. I also want to find out, if I really want to go to college, or if I am just doing it because I want to prove to people that I can "Fit in." Hopefully that makes sense.

Lastly, I am finding myself becoming more and more depressed. I have never been depressed at all, but now I am just feeling like a total failure. I think meeting people, who have ADD will help me feel better.