View Full Version : PTSD or BPD?

PeacefulPeople
12-29-06, 02:37 AM
PTSD or BPD? or...

Sharon Hodges (2003) wrote Borderline Personality Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Time for Integration? Jounral of Counseling & Development.

Quote: The increasing prevalence of borderline personality disorder (BPD) and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) diagnosis among women illustrates problems and limitations of the medical model system (DSM). In particular, diagnoses of BPD continue the trend of overpathologizing womens' issues and reinforcing a patriarchical system of diagnosis and treatment. A PTSD diagnosis, with similar criteria, is preferred for traumatized women because it portrays them in a more positive context. This article explores the overlapping relationship between BPD and PTSD and critiques how both are viewed within the mental health community. Previous research on BPD and PTSD is explored, as well as concerns and limitations regarding both diagnostic categories.

What do you think?

Matt S.
12-29-06, 12:32 PM
My symptoms of "Borderline Personality" specific to anger and tantrums, are there but not on the relationship part it seems to be more on things that I was unable to learn as a result of not being treated for trauma and diagnosed as bipolar instead. Recently with my self awareness (compliments of dexedrine) in check I tend to notice the reactive stuff.

Nova
12-29-06, 01:13 PM
My opinion on this, is that all 'personality disorders' have an underlying base of 'trauma'.

So it's not just Borderline PD, and it's not just women- but this affects all *humans* who currently have to *deal* with all hardships involving one or a combination of personality disorder(s).

Again, this is only my opinion- but the only way the DSM manual (at least the psychiatric section of it) to appease everyone- is when the entire psychiatric community, at large, is willing to change their views- on how they define the words 'personality' and 'disorder'.

PeacefulPeople
12-29-06, 08:29 PM
Nova,

So it sounds like you think that the trauma associated with PTSD is interconnected to the characteristics of BPD and other personality disorders? Do you think there should be a classification for personality disorders in the DSM?

Nova
12-30-06, 04:02 PM
I don't understand your question.
Seriously- I'm not mocking you.

The DSM IV already lists 'personality disorders'- and further subdivides 'them' into three 'classes'.
Conveniently and efficiently.

What I personally 'think', doesn't amount to a 'hill o' beans'.
Except to me.

I don't believe any *human* was ever meant, to comfortably fit, in one silly 'label'- especially one that is created by someone else.

Too tight..too loose...

One size does not fit *all*
Not when it comes to the Personality Department.

But...what do I know ? (0;
I'm just expressin' my creative opinion.

Everyone's mileage will always vary, accordingly.

Nova,

So it sounds like you think that the trauma associated with PTSD is interconnected to the characteristics of BPD and other personality disorders? Do you think there should be a classification for personality disorders in the DSM?

Matt S.
01-02-07, 11:12 AM
I know that there are behaviors in me that are anger directed and cognitive styles the anger issue but a big part of my problem is the reality of why I am as underdevoloped in more areas is the emotional neglect of my mother when she put me on ritalin and had me "diagnosed" rather than teaching me to behave and basically ignored the concept of behavior as opposed to meds. So coming to that reality is hard but explains the hard part in helping me because it's complex at a sad level. But I feel better breaking this cycle that does me no good. And I will adapt to something better.

PeacefulPeople
01-03-07, 01:56 AM
mspen1018,

Very introspective. It sounds like you have a good handle on things. A positive perspective is half the battle.